From: Ben517
Sent: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 7:05:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1000 517TH PRCT-OCTOBER 27, 2005

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205

Howard Hensleigh

NOTE TO THE MAYOR AND CITIZENS OF SOSPEL TO BE DELIVERED BY OUR AMBASSADORS, PATRICIA AND ROLAND ORENGO:
On the eve of your annual liberation celebration, 28 October, we, the men of the 517th, send you our heartfelt salutations. We are most grateful to your mayor for sending us the magnificent plate engraved with your bridge of liberation. It commemorates the sixtieth anniversary of that day in 1944 when the men of our Combat Team entered Sospel ending the long period of insufferable occupation. We trust that the celebration this year on the sixty first anniversary will be equally festive.
One unrealized wish is that we could have been in Sospel sooner. Those big guns tunneled into the mountains that overlook your picturesque city held us up while you suffered. Another is that we could be with you to celebrate this memorable day with you. We know you share these wishes.
Til we meet again, Howard Hensleigh
                                                              Past President of the 517th Association.

Gail Jeff Douglas
Mr. Hensleigh --

Thank you so much for your kind words.  In reading the accolades of the Savannah reunion, I realized how much my father would have enjoyed being a part of that special gathering.  But. . .know without question that he, among many others, were there in spirit.

I never know exactly how to classify Dad's affiliation.  As you say, he was with Woody Woodhull (who he often mentioned through the years) of the 460th.  But some of his records also indicate HQ, 1st Bn.  Perhaps you can clarify it for me sometime.  As for Woodhull, Dad often wondered if any of the 517th ever had contact with his family members.  Dad said that Woodhull had a sister.  I hope his family members know how respected he was among those who served with him.

You mentioned a conversation with Dad.  If I'm not mistaken, I think I have a recording of that conversation.  The recording I have is an interview that a I gentleman did with you and Dad together.  If by some chance, you do not have a recording of the interview, let me know.  I'd certainly be happy to share a copy with you.

Sincerely,
Gail Jeff Douglas

Shirley McCarey

Hi Ben ---

Due to Hurricane Rita, my computer was shut down.   I'm back on line once more and would appreciate receiving the Mail Calls once again.

Shirley McCarey
Friend of the 517th
Frederick from Nice
Dear Ben,
 Hope you are doing well!
 I have spend a wonderful day with Mrs Terry Casey, sister of James Birder, Cpt I Cie who was unfortunately KIA in Germany. Terry wanted to see the Nice area, and in particular the Col de Braus where her brother was made a Cpt. Terry needed a local help to drive her, her husbands + friends and I was so happy to assist them in this tour. I will pass you the pictures later on. A great day!
 Today, I would need to be in touch with Gail Jeff Douglas, daughter of Herbert Douglas 460th who recently appeared in the mail call. Gail has some interesting pictures of the Nice area, and would like to get in touch with her.
Thanks in advance,
Frederic from Nice
    ZEADES
m  o  n  t  e     c  a  r  l  o
Howard Hensleigh
Note to Gail Jeff Douglas.
Your father Herbert Jeff was virtually a member of the 3rd Bn. Intelligence Section. He and the 460th observer, Woody Woodhull, accompanied us on most of our patrols. On several occasions they saved our skins by laying down an artillery barrage on some unfriendly Germans we ran into.
We spent several hours at Oklahoma City going over our respective memories of those days. That was one of the fortunate incidents of life, because we will not have that opportunity again. We know your family?s loss is greater than ours, but we want you and the rest of the family to know how much we missed your father at Savannah and will miss him at future reunions.
Sincerely, Howard Hensleigh