From: Ben517
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 1:59 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1002 517TH PRCT-OCTOBER 30. 205
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205

From the web site-updated.

1945 - "517 PCT" Book - The "Blue Book"

Bill Christian

Dear Ben, I checked with Gene regarding holding the 06 reunion in Palm Springs even though there will be 06 National  in Portland and he gave his support, therefore I want to give notice that the reunion will be held from April 2 thru April 6 at the Ramada with the same $61.95 room rate and $50 per person for the BBQ ,Dinner and usual open bar food and drinks.  I want to get this info out as early as possible giving the Troopers an opportunity to be aware of our future plans. I will send a final schedule of the daily activities soon after the New Year. I hope this helps since I have had some calls regarding the 06 Reunion. Let me know if you can publish this first notice. Hope you are ok and will be able to make the reunion. God Bless Bill

Dear Ben,  Want to make sure that the rate given for the Ramada is $61.95 per room not per person.  Seems there was some misinformation which was corrected last year. Thanks  Bill
Cecil Doty

Hi Ben and all of the 517th Family;

It's about time for me to report in, after receiving three telephone calls and reading all the Mail Call, I'm sure I missed a great reunion in Savannah.  We had planned to attend but something told me not this year.  Well would you believe  about the time we would have been leaving for the Reunion , Arlene awaken me by having a hard time breathing at 3:00 AM in the morning.  I tried to awaken her  but couldn't.   I called 911 and in 20 minutes  our EMS had her in the hospital 12 miles from home.  She had a small stroke  but after 4 days in the Hospital ,she was home without any bad effects.

I enjoyed the telephone calls from John Pastalenic  the Reunion and calls from Harold Fulton and Fred Harmon last week. Thanks for your concern.

I'll be having Cataract Surgery, Wed. Nov.9, no worry there.  But I Saw my Heart Doctor Nov. 26 and I'm not too happy with his report.   My Aorta Heart Valve is weakening.  I'm to see him again  in six  months.  I hope we won't have to kill a little pig so I can have a new valve.

But at our age anything can and will happy.  I just turned 88 last month and I still have all my teeth and most of my hair.

Ben I don't remember a Earnest Taylor being in the 3rd Pt. of H Co. Unless came to H Co. after VE Day.

I still look forward to each Mail Call.

Cecil Doty

Patricia and Roland Orengo

For Scott Atkinson and for who's interested
We can be your guide if you want to visit Sospel ant his area where the 517e was.
Depends on the weather, we could do it with our Jeep.
We are waiting for all of you !!
Patricia and Roland Orengo

Mark Landreth

Ben - I saw Scott Atkinson's request for information/maps of where the 517th traveled. I hope someone can fulfill his request, and if there's a way, I'd like to obtain copies as well. Bill Meyer, of E. Company, sent me some text and descriptive info a couple of years ago, and I have copies of a number of the morning reports and operations reports from the National Archives (many include six digit map coordinates of the various locations y'all were), so anything that someone might add will be a great blessing to those of us who are interested in knowing more about your experiences. Thanks! mark

 Jean Michel Soldi and Eric Renoux

Dear Friends,

We have the regret to inform that THOMAS S. FORAN, Duc de Saint Bar, Regiment H.Q co. of the 551st parachute infantry battalion, Radio man of Colonel Wood YOERG, (nicknamed by him and his friends of the unit "RED", after War becamed Help of camp of Peter II, king of Yugoslavia, Grand Cross of Malta Order died after a long fight against Cerebral Cancer at Neuilly sur Seine, near Paris France on the 15th of October 2005.

Thomas was one of the first veteran and friend of the Airborne museum of Le Muy he inaugurated in august 1994 with Generals Richard Seitz, and Farrhar Howkley, Thomas, her friend Helen, nephew Marc and his lovely family were always motivated and interested to help the museum, and his founders Jean Michel Soldi and Eric Renoux to perpetuate the memory of the Airbornes in the Southern France 15th of august 1944 Operation Dragoon and the extention museum project.  He always host a special place in our hearts, to all the people of le Muy, and the soul of the museum.
Jean Michel and Eric
(P.J: Photo of Thomas during the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Le MUY France with Mayor Zekhri.)

To: Bob Barrett
Subject: Trooper Identification

 Hello Mr. Barrett,

 My wife, Yvonne (Downs) Rose and I think we have identified her father in a picture that was sent to you by the daughter of  John Stonis.

 Looking at the picture I have attached, we think that maybe Herbert Downs is in the back-row, 2nd from left.  Jay Sutcliffe's father is 3rd.

 Herbert was only 5' 4" 120lbs.  one of the smallest men in H company.

  Jay Sutcliffe has identified the man on the far right, back row, as trooper John Stonis.

 I have attached the email messages I have had with Jay Sutcliffe also.

  We may need your opinion to help us.

 Thanks for your time and the wonderful web-sight you maintain.

 David Rose
Son-n-law of Herbert Downs