From: Ben517
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 7:15 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1005 517TH PRCT--NOVEMBER 7, 2005
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I want to thank all  who sent condolence for the passing of my brother. I have forwarded  the messages to his family.

We now have on the website General Seitz's speech at the Savannah reunion. Most should be able to hear the audio.  You will need a fast connection to view the video.  Lance Anderson sent them to us along with a bio video of his dad, Eric. I wish everyone could view his dad's  video but it may be to large for many. Click on it and then you will have to give it time to download.

August 2005 - Savannah Reunion:

History of the 517th - Lt. Gen. Richard Seitz at the Savannah, GA 517th Reunion

audio (wma format)
video (Quicktime .mov format - large file: 16 Mb)

recorded by Lance Anderson

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 3420

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Terry Casey, Jim Birder’s sister.

Dear Terry, Your brother deserves all the devotion you gave him by retracing his steps through Europe. It was an honor to serve in the 3rd Bn. with him. He and men like Flave Carpenter, Floyd Stott and Frank Dallas held I Company together and made it function, taking all its objectives. When Jim took command near Col de Braus he only continued the leadership he had exercised as its executive officer beginning back in the States.

We are delighted you enjoyed the trip. We know it had its emotional moments as you surveyed the terrain and visualized the obstacles he encountered in taking it. We trust you will be able to pass on to succeeding generations some of what you learned about the 517th. It should assist them in facing the difficulties the nation faces and will face in the future.

Our best 3rd Bn. airborne regards, Howard Hensleigh

Boom Boom  (Replying to Morris  McDowell )

Appreciated your comments.  It would have been an honor and pleasure to have met with you this past reunion.  However, this old body of mine plagued with sciatic nerve and after effects of shingles these past 15 years has prevented me of making any trips. I am in constant pain and limited is walking.

Boom Boom

Ray Hess

Thanks for answering my E-Mail  I was wondering if Joe Samosoka's remains
were in the Netherlands Cemetery His name was not on the list of 517 men
buried there. Joe died in my arms the last day of combat at Bergstein . Best
regards to you Ray R Hess

Darrell Egner

 Ben

You had the correct address but her company won't let mail come through.  After the Florida Mini  last year I tried to send the picture of you and her that ended up in the Thunderbolt.  I never could get through to her.  I believe I sent it to Bob Christie later.

I am sending a cope of this mail to Silas Brown, her Dad and maybe he can help put her in touch with you.  I sure would hate to see her dropped from Mail Call.

Bob Christie will be in my prayers.  Thanks for letting us know.

Keep up the good work,

Darrell Egner
Bob Barrett

Dad,

I did get the new Thunderbolt.  It might have been here for a day or two.

Also, I got the audio and video files from Lance Anderson, and posted them.  See if you can watch them.  To watch the videos, you might need to load Quicktime if you don't have it already.

Also, check out Lance's video bio of his Dad.

BB
Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Ben:  would you please let Bob Christie know:
    (1) What a marvelous, beautiful job he did on the latest issue of the Thunderbolt.  It was wonderful to read (and he needs to know that my opinion has not been influenced in any way by the fact that he was so kind as to use my letter as his front page lead)!  The whole issue was so well done!  Airborne, All the Way!
    (2) Most importantly, he and his family are very much in our thoughts and daily prayers as he starts his treatment.  May the Good Lord continue to give him strength, courage, lots of love, laughter and healing.
    Sincerely,
    Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
Bob Barrett

Dad,

Both the audio and video links work fine for me. The video just takes a long time to load.  It is a  big file. The other video, his dad's bio, is even larger.

I suggest that you just put the audio in your email, and tell them that the other videos are on the web site if they have a fast connection.

Bob
 Dick Seitz

Ben, I regret that I was unable to hear or view the message.  I have web tv and there are many attachments for which I am at times unable to pick up. I'll talk to Pat and Alan and determine if they received the tape. I appreciate your efforts and am disappointed because I would like to see and hear just what this old trooper did say at the reunion.  As you know I didn't  write the talk or had any notes so I am concern as to just what did I say.  Again, Ben thanks for your efforts.  With tremendous respect.  Airborne all the way. Dick

Bob Christie

Ben, Please write a separate check made out to me (Bob Christie) for the Mini Reunion. Don't combine other things like Dues, etc. It is a bookkeeping nightmare for my beebee brain. Thanks. The dues are coming in like crazy. Thanks a lot!
Frederic Brega
Dear Ben,

 As promised, please find attached a couple of pictures taken in last October in Sospel on “Pont de la Liberation” and Col de Braus.

 On the pictures you can see Mrs. Terry Casey (sister of Cpt James Birder of I Cie), Patrick Casey and friends. Terry wanted to see the places her brother has been, but she already explained you the reasons of this trip in a previous message posted in the Mail Call!

 I just wanted to add some pictures of this wonderful day we spent together. I have been so happy to make a vet’s family benefit of my knowledge to guide them for a visit of the places where the 517th has been staying / fighting.

 Hope to see Terry and her friendly team again quickly!

Frederic Brega

(Nice – Southern France)