From: Ben517
Sent: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 7:22:02 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1008 517TH PRCT-NOVEMBER 10, 2005

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

 The last Mail Call I had referred to Lance Anderson as Lance Armstrong. Just a senior moment. I probably confused  the name with Jack Armstrong the All American Boy. Some of the older members may remember him on the radio. My father told me about him.

Ben

Boom Boom Alicki

EDITOR:
As a member of DAV Chapter 4 and VFW 168, I have written the below
article for printing in your paper on "VETERANS DAY 2005."  I hope you
can find a place for the below article.  My name and address is printed
below the article.  Please feel free to call if needed.
Respectfully,
John F. Buchalski
THEY ANSWERED THEIR COUNTRY'S CALL.........

Today we pause to honor American veterans of all wars as this nation has
soldiers under fire on foreign soil. Veterans Day has a special
soberness as Americans are reminded in ways large and small of the
sacrifice and commitment required of those who wear this country's
uniform. It is great for local communities to come together to visit and
reminisce, to pay honor to those who served their country, and to expose
our children and grandchildren to the sacrifices others have made.
Those of us who call small towns "home" are very fortunate.  It is in
places like New Hampshire where traditions run deep, where people still
care about one another, where a sense of community -- the feeling of
belonging still exists, and where love of country and patriotism remains
a way of life.

The longer we live in peace, the memory of war dims in the minds of
many Americans. The significance of Veteran's day becomes confused and
distorted.  To many today is "just another day."  To others it is a
holiday, a day off work.  They are not sure why it's a holiday, but
they'll take it. We American's are not warmongers, on the contrary,
American's above all other people prays for peace, for we must suffer
and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.  Many of you know it as
a day of significance.  Life is God's most precious gift.
On Veterans' Day we honor those who were willing to put their lives on
hold for the good of their country -- people like the veterans here in
New Hampshire who were willing to sacrifice that gift of life.  The
actions and sacrifices of our veterans, provide us with the meaning of
this day far better than any comments a Congressman could make. How many
politicians do you know, that would make such commitments? They can't
even keep a promise to the veterans of WW II and Korea.

Our country has had many wars in its history.  It is amazing to me
that from the revolutionary war to today, we have been blessed by men
and women willing to forgo God's gift of life to sacrifice everything
for their fellow countrymen.  But we know some causes are worth that
sacrifice.  Freedom is worth the risk of death, for without freedom,
life loses much of its meaning.  Love of liberty exceeds love of life.
All loss of human life is a tragedy.  We should be ever thankful that
individuals of each generation have been willing to serve America, that
they have been willing to risk everything to allow their children and
grandchildren the opportunity to live in freedom and with liberty.

An example of such a group of men was the 517th Parachute Regimental
Combat Team (Battling Buzzards) during WW II who put their country above
their own life. They accumulated over 150 combat days during five
campaigns on the battlefields in Italy, France, Belgium and Germany.
They suffered 1,576 casualties and had 247 men killed in action. The
soldiers of the 517th PRCT earned one Medal of Honor, 131 Silver Stars,
631 Bronze Stars for Valor, 1,576 Purple Hearts. 6 Distinguished Service
Crosses, 5 Legion of Merits, and 17 French Croix de Guerres. The 517th
PRCT was one of the US Army's first elite combat units and was part of
the 17th Airborne Division when it was established (1943). They have
endured some of the heaviest fighting of the European campaigns and have
produced an astonishing eight generals, with four troopers who started
as privates. Among this group was General Melvin Zais -- UNH ROTC Hall
is named after him.

There is a lot of talk today about the absence of heroes.  We have
shootings in our schools and people say it is because kids today have no
role models.  Kids say they have no one to look up to.  If our young
people have no heroes it is because we are looking for heroes in the
wrong places.  We are looking for heroes on baseball diamonds and
basketball courts and on Hollywood  stages and in sold out
amphitheaters of rock music  concerts.  We should be looking at the
heroes who sit across the kitchen table from us. We should be looking
for our heroes in the men and women who raised us and taught us right
from wrong.  There are plenty of heroes right here in New Hampshire
-- "they are our veterans." They are our parents and grandparents.
They are our sons and daughters. They are not rich. They are not
famous.  They would never claim the title of "hero" for themselves.
But you veterans are our country's heroes.  Webster defines a hero as
"a man admired for his achievements or qualities, one that show great
courage."  America's veterans are heroes.  So the next time we think
we don't have any role models, that there is no one left to look up to,
turn off the T.V. and look across the living room, at your father or
your grandfather.  Ask them about their war, ask them what they did,
hear their stories. There are heroes in our midst.  Today, Veterans
Day 2005, we open our eyes and see before us the heroes our veterans
really are. We thank them for their sacrifice and courage.  We thank
them for their service to our country. We also thank God for giving us
not only the gift of life, but also the gift of heroes.  I was proud to
have served my country as a professional soldier but not proud of those
who represent us in the Halls of Congress. "There is no higher calling
then defending one's country."
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
JOHN F. BUCHALSKI
USMC & USAF (RET)
508 Dennett St.
Portsmouth, NH\
Ph: 436-3146
Marienbad@webtv.net        John F Buchalski is my nephew.   Boom Boom

Daniel Curtis

Hello Ben, I would like to have you add my mom to your mailing list.  Her name is Audrey (Ogniewski) Curtis 32 Stutzman Rd Lancaster N.Y. 14086. She is the sister of Pfc Danny Ogniewski KIA Sospel 11/4/44. I am proud to be named after Danny and have lived with his memory and a respect for him and his brothers in arms my whole life. I and my family are truly in debt to all of you brave troopers for our daily blessing of freedom. I will look forward to reading this with my mom as I am sure she will. We stay in constant touch with Floyd & Adrianna Polk of D company and keep up with news on the unit. God bless all of you again.
Daniel Curtis
Lancaster, NY

Nyrle Traver

Hi Ben, we were able to hear General Seitz speech but unable to view the video.  It was wonderful to hear the speech again.  Thanks,  Myrle Traver   F. Co.

Tom Stadler
  HI BEN

  I ALSO READ SOLDAT SEVERAL YEARS AGO. HOW HE FINAGLED HIS WAY INTO WEST GERMANY AFTER BEING RELEASED BY THE RUSSIANS WAS QUITE INTERESTING.

TOM

Lory Curtis

Ben,
    As tomorrow is veteran's day, please allow me to take this opportunity to thank every member of the 517th PRCT for providing the freedoms I enjoy today.  Each one of you answered your country's call, and went above and beyond the call of duty by volunteering to be paratroopers.  I will always remember what you, my father, and others did for me.  I will not allow my children, nor my grandchildren to every forget.  I stand at the rigid position of attention and salute you all for your valor and heroism.  THANK YOU.  AIRBORNE!
Lory V. Curtis, MAJ, AV, USA (Ret), son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st Bn

Marcus Madarang

Hello Mr. Ben Barrett,

My name is Marcus Madarang.  My grandfather, Ernest "Rusty" Lee Rutherford, served in WWII in the 517th.  Ever since I was a young boy, I remember times he would talk about his experience in the war.  Some stories were funny.  An example he told me was: He and his company were waiting for another drop off rations.  He said that they were so hungry and it was days since they've had a meal.  One day there was a drop.  He opened the crate and discovered that I was all chocolate!  It was like one week, all he ate was chocolate!  To this very day, he is not so fond of chocolate.  Other stories were very sad.  One time he and his buddies were walking through an open field.  All of a sudden, explosions started.  They were walking through a mine field.  Luckily, my grandfather was not hit.  Everyone else was either injured or dying.

I just wanted to say "thank you" to you and all the veterans who sacrificed their lives.  I am enjoying my freedom today because of that.
Ernest Lee Rutherford served with C-460. -Ben
Kent Immerfall

Members of the 517th and other Veterans...I wanted to send this a day early so you know how greatly appreciative we Americans are of the many sacrifices you have made before, during, and after the WW II battles.  With all that is going on in the world today do know that it isn't a particular day, November 11, 2005, that is set aside to commemorate all Veterans.  It is EVERY DAY that you and your sisters and brothers in arms are remembered and thought about lovingly.  Thank you, thank you, thank you for allowing me to write this not only in English but to not have to worry that someone will monitor what I say and do.

I'd also like to take this Veterans' Day to remember many hundreds of thousands of workers who weren't able to fight for the USA but who were so integral to the success of our armed forces.  I am speaking of the men and women who worked in our American factories making the uniforms, parachutes, arms, ammunition, food supplies, vehicles, planes, ships, and every other piece of material that was needed to secure a victory.  Maybe these people do not have a day or days set aside to recall their efforts but I am sure you brave 517th soldiers would be the first ones to salute them.

God Bless You All...

Kenton Floyd Immerfall