From: Ben517
Sent: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 7:14:19 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1009 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 11, 2005

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 3420
Irma Targnion
  ( Our Belgian friend )

Dear Ben,
Please, accept our condolences for the passing of your brother. Our sympathy and our prayers are with you and your family and to morrow, as we shall attend a special Mass of Souvenir in Trois-Ponts - it is the "Armistice Day" -, we shall have a though for him and for all the heroes who fought and died for our Liberty. After the service, we shall pay homage to the belgian and american monuments with flowers and national anthems. Our Committee lost a very devote member and we attended the funeral yesterday. His name is Michel BURTON, some of you met him when they came in Belgium. He was with us to welcome General SEITZ and his family, he also welcomed Clark ARCHER a few years ago. Michel was a paratrooper when he was young and jumped in 1960 with belgian para in Kolwezy (Congo). He loved you all so much. He died suddenly, he was 66.
Now, I shall try to tell you about my life
during the war and during the Battle of the Bulge. It is just my childhood memories and I beg your pardon for the mistakes.
I was born in a very little village called Brux, near Lierneux (15 kms from Trois-Ponts) on 1940, august 22. My father was in Germany, from may he was prisoner in Altengrabau, Stalag XXI A. My mother was alone to work in the farm, my brother René was 18 months old. My father was an Ardenne Hunter in the Army but he was lucky to be in the medical staff. Because of that he came back in december 1940. His brother Joseph came back in may 1945 and his 4 children did not recognize him. The life for this family has been very hard. During the war, we never were hungry because of the farm but my mother helped many persons who came from the big cities where the life was so difficult, my mother gave bread, butter, eggs, potatoes and also, she welcomed at home some children from the towns to feed them. I can remember Lilianne and Georgette from Liège, Carlos, Christian, Pierre... from Brussels. Pierre staid 3 years with us. In Ardenne, the life was rather quiet, except the german administration and its rules and restrictions. I was too young to know how my parents suffered a lot in the war.
SEPTEMBER 1944
I am 4 years old. My father and my godfather Louis are picking the apples. My godfather Louis is my father's brother. My grand-parents died in 1938 and he is living with us. He seems to be very happy. Very soon he will marry his fiancée Louise, she is living near Soy, (Hotton) in Amonines. He is also very happy with a cheerful expression because there are so many soldiers in the villages with trucks and tanks and other machines.
This day is september 27th. My godfather tells me "come with me to the Gilles' field. He has a big basket full with apples. All around the fields, there are many young beautiful boys, they smile, they talk to me but I do not understand, they call me "baby", I am not a baby because I bring the basket with the apples and I help my godfather, so I gave apples to the soldiers. They give me many little boxes and when we came back home the basket is full with chocolates, sugar, chewing-gum, many good things. I am happy and proud.
December 1944, my mother is crying, my father and my godfather seems to be so sad.                             ..... to follow

Claire Giblin

Hi Ben,
On a more public note, I'd like to echo Lory Curtis in her thanks to our favorite veterans, the men of the 517.  Thank you all for the gift of freedom that we all enjoy.  As they say in the Airborne Museum billboards (which we passed on the way to Savannah last summer), if it weren't for you guys, we could all be speaking German.
And a special note to Ms. Helen Beddow - we hope that you are recovering quickly.   We all remember your wonderful party with such affection, and we hope you are getting well and can join us in Bradenton in January.
Love to you and my dear Miss Fran -
Claire
Pat Seitz & Allan Greer
 Dear Ben:
    May Alan and I echo the heartfelt words of John Buchalski, Lory Curtis, Marcus Madarang, Kenton Floyd Immerfall, and Daniel Curtis in expressing our gratitude to the outstanding members of the 517th PRCT for their courage, sacrifices and dedication to preserving the freedoms we enjoy.  How blessed we are because of each and every member of the 517th.  Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
    Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
Tom Stadler

HI BEN

SOME VETERAN'S DAY READING MATERIAL. VIRUS FREE.

Lora Fryczyski -Butler

Greetings to all and thank you for your service.  My father, Gerald Fryczynski, 460th, D Battery was always very proud to be a veteran, to have done his job.  He passed away October 5, 2005, but as my six year old daughter says, Papa is in my heart forever.  His five grandchildren are all very aware of his role in WWII, and very proud to have had the time with him that they had.  Thank you to all of you for keeping our world safe, from generation to generation.

Lora Fryczynski-Butler
Boom Boom Alicki

Happy Veterans Day

Boom Boom

William Wyatt ( Willard's son )

Happy Veterans Day

From LTC William B. Wyatt

Chris Lindner
Hi Ben::
I wanted to tell all the veterans "HAPPY VETERANS DAY".  As you all know there is know way any of us can say "THANK YOU" enough.
Of course I want to acknowledge all the Veterans but especially the 517 PRCT.  This is a very special group of individuals to me.
I hope you all have a wonderful day.
Chris Lindner
Nate Rubenstein's daughter
HQ 2nd Bn

Entry of Nov 09, 2005 at 19:10 [EST]
Name: Daniel Curtis/Audrey Ogniewski
Unit:
EMail:
dhcurtis732@adelphia.net
How I found the 517th page: Other
Comments: As veteran's day approaches I would like to wish all 517 members THANKS for protecting and guaranteeing our countries freedom.  In the memory of PFC Daniel Ogniewski, Co D (KIA Sospel 11/4/44).  We will offer our prayers for the health and well being of all surviving members of the 517th and their families. God bless you all and THANKS AGAIN!

Marion  Hupman

I'm Marion Hupman the daughter of Frank Hupman 460 C. I just wanted to take the time today to Thank all the Veterans, Thanks to the Veterans and all our military today we have the freedom we do, and to bad more people don't understand that. I'm proud of my Father and the men of the 517th. I hope someday when I have a son he will follow in his Grandfathers foot steps as a member of United States Army and a member of the airborne. Thanks for every thing you do!!!!!!!!!