From: Ben517
Sent: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 7:22:52 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1011 517TH PRCT -NOVEMBER 15, 2005

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

We have in this Mail Call the second part of Irma's story of her life during The Battle of The Bulge. The first part was in Mail Call No 1009. We will have it on the website when we get the  complete story. We have Maria Gaspar's  story in WWII Recollections

Ben

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205-7904

Irma & Arnold Targnion

Dear Ben, dear friends in America,
Here there is the following of my souvenirs.
December 1944, Battle of the Bulge
Brux, Lierneux - Belgium
Everybody is crying, they says "they are coming back", they are now in St Vith !.
Our neighbour, Nestor, is 75 years old and he gets together all the men  in his house and he says "go away immediately, I will stay with the women and the children" and then, my father, godfather, cousins and neighbours leave with their bikes. They wish to cross the river Meuse.
My mother takes us and we go to stay with auntie Marie and auntie Pauline because their cellar is very solid and secure. My brother René is 6 and he wants to know what's going on. My mother answers : be quiet, shut up... she never speaks like that, she uses to be so soft with us but now we know that it is a very special day and we keep silent. The cellar is vaulted, Auntie Pauline and our cousin Catherine are in the basement already, they brought many things and in a corner, auntie Pauline put clean white sheets on the potatoes, She says, it is my corner so we cannot share this corner with her, we are not careful enough. My mother says, once more : "be quiet" My little brother Roger (2) is sick. "lay down" says Catherine, we are running under the stone table (table for the butter). A big, big noise makes the house shake. Somebody knocks at the door, Nestor is coming with his family, a bomb blowed up on their house, no wounded. Now, we are 15 persons in the cellar. Helène is looking  through th little window, "german are coming, I can see their boots" Everybody is praying, especially auntie Pauline, we are frightened to death. Noise, somebody is opening the door. A german officer is coming down in the cellar, looks around and says to Auntie Pauline "move away". Some soldiers are now bringing a wounded soldier, he is screaming, he is very dirty, he lost his blood, the soldiers let him in the so clean corner, auntie Pauline's corner. René, Roger and I, we are under the stone table and we are laughing because of the neat, clean corner. My mother looks ghastly pale, she murmurs "be quiet".
                                     .....to follow
dear friends,
I beg your pardon but it is not easy for me to express those souvenirs in english. As you may understand, the memories of a child are different. I forgot many things and I can remember special events. Best wishes and Love to all of you. Irma TARGNION from Ardenne. Arnold says hello to you.

Gene Frice

Ben/Bob
     David Robertson, C /1st Bn, new member!  I have enclosed my return letter to him. I am sure some of our membership will welcome him.
     Gene Frice

November 13, 2005

David Robertson
33801 Zarzito Drive
Dana Point, CA  92629-2432

Dear David,

     Welcome back to the 517th Parachute Combat Team and thank you for your letter.

     While our numbers have reduced over the years, we are currently an organization of many current troopers with a strong Associate membership made up of family members, as well as number of active 517th supporters. The above individuals have a goal of keeping the spirit of the 517th alive for the future.

     We have a web page, as well as an almost a daily e-mail "mail call," in which members may exchange information and salutations. We also publish the "Thunderbolt" publication, of which I am sure you remember.

     I have enclosed my business card upon which you will find all the necessary numbers. I would suggest as your first step, (if you are on the internet), to correspond with our Web Page www.517prct.org, and Ben Barrett, at Ben517@aol.com.
There you will find many various web links, as well as our mail call. Any problems with the above please contact me.

     I am sure you will find many previous friends amongst our membership; as well as an update to where we have been and where we are going.

     The 517th has scheduled a Mini Reunion in Florida (January 22-26, 2006),  a Mini Reunion in Palm Springs in March or April; as well as a National Reunion in Portland, OR (July 17-22, 2006).

     To finance the above publications we have recently established a membership fee of $ 30.00 dollars.

     Hope to meet you in the near future.

          Gene M. Frice
     President

Lory Curtis

Ben,
     A friend emailed this to me, I don't know if this information is accurate, but it is nice to see.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WW II MOVIE STARS

Frederic Brega
Bear Ben,
 Could you please add the following email account on your Mail Call mailing list:
 Mr. Pierre Giordano (a friend from southern France) just left for Bangkok due to a job opportunity. He led recently an interesting investigation on the "St Cezaire attack".
 Thanks in advance,
Frederic
 Dear Ben,
 Hope you are doing well!
 I found in Southern France the trench knife of Private Weaver Sterling W. - H Co. mat. 39925903.
 Does anyone remember him / has contact with him of family? I don't have found any information on him on the website! No picture as well!
 best regards,
Frederic from Nice
Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:
I just wanted to tell Walt Smith a couple of little stories that happened to the wonderful men and women that serve our country today.
On one plane trip that I took there were passengers in the lst class section that gave their seats to a few men in the service.  The flight was completely booked and these people gave up there seats for these men.
Another flight I was on the plane was almost all men and women in the service.  Before the plane took off the pilot came over the intercom and announced the Bn. that was on the plane and THANKED them for serving in the military.  The rest of the passengers gave them a huge applause.
My daughter and I were on a flight (I can't even remember where I was going now) and we were setting next to a young man in the army.  He was going home on leave and he was talking to my daughter and I about how excited he was to be going home for a while.  I looked at him and said "I would like to thank you for being in the army and doing the job you do for all of the people in our Country".  He just looked at me and didn't really know what to say so he just smiled.
I have many opinions about the war that is going on but my opinions are not important.  The only thing that is important is that every American should support the men and women in the military for what they do to protect us and each and every one of these men and women deserve a very BIG THANK YOU.
After saying that; all of the Veterans of the past wars and conflicts also deserve a BIG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
Have a great day.
Chris Lindner
Bob Barrett
Found on the web.

GATES, Roy, 86, Pryor, died Nov. 2; served in U.S. Army's 517 th parachute infantry regiment during World War II; retired in 1986 as street superintendent for City of Pryor. Wife, Nellie; three sons

Myrle Traver

Jerrie Long
Ben:
Thank you for including Dallas' picture in the mail call.  Michael Arterburn's parents were two of our dearest friends, and we stayed in contact with them as long as they lived.

The majority of the people we socialized with in North Carolina aren't with us any longer, but we dearly love all of the 517th troopers.  Dallas is 87 years old now, but he  is making a good Master Sgt. around the house.  We celebrated our 62nd wedding anniversary November 6, 2005.

Am happy that the reunion was so successful this year.  We really hurt that we couldn't be there.

Jerrie Long

Bob Christie
Ben, Just got out of hospital today. Entered last Tuesday. After I had a port put in and mess in my groin drained and bandaged, I felt lousy and was admitted to hospital. Still haven't started chemo. That will start next Monday. Now, I am trying to catch up on mail and checks. I have a back log of about 20. I still feel a little woozy. Message to Clair, Lory Curtis is Bud Curtis' son and very much a man. At first, I had the same impression.  Bob