From: Ben517
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2005 5:57 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1013 517TH PRCT-NOVEMBER 19, 2005
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I just received Irma's  continuation of her life story during The Battle of The Bulge. I know that every one is interested in it and therefore I will send Mail Call out immediately.

We have "TOP SECRET"  in History and Archival Documents on our website but the print is not very clear. Nolan Powell has retype it to make it much easier to read.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205-7904

From the web site

Thunder from Heaven - a UK-based living history group dedicated to perpetuating the memory of the U.S. Airborne Soldier.

Irma's story-Part three.

december 1944 - BATTLE of the BULGE
...... The german soldier is gone. They all pray in the cellar, they pray more and more. Hélène says " I think that the americans retreated to Erria" she seems so sad. My mother says " I must go to the farm to feed the cows and we need fresh milk, it is a little more quiet by now". there was a sudden silent and my mother goes out. When she comes back, she doesn't look afraid, just a little pale. She brings back milk, eggs, biscuits, water... and when she can see that everybody feel reassured, she says " the bullets whizzed overhead, I think they comes from Beau-Ru (north/west)" Youppee, says, Marie-Josée, the americans are coming back ! yes, says my mother, but it was also whizzing from the south, so, we are just in the middle of the battle. Silence. René, my oldest brother (6) asks "where is Pierre ? " Pierre is this boy who came from Brussels one year ago. He was very hungry in Brussels, when he arrived, he was 14 and he was looking like an 9 years old boy. For a long time, children from the big cities are living with us. When they are better, they go back home and others are coming. But with Pierre, things are different, his is like a brother for us, he tries to help my parents, he likes very much all the animals, especially, the horse Max and the dog Jacky. Mum, where is Pierre ? Pierre is in Hierlot with our grand-parents (Hierlot is located between, Lierneux and Erria. By now, nobody knows that the Germans took all the men as hostage and they are all in Verleumont as prisoners and Pierre is with them. Pierre is very thin and small, the Germans does not pay attention to him, so he escapes and from Verleumont, he comes in Brux at the farm, takes the dog Jacky and through the lines in the middle of the battle, he goes to Hierlot to see the families of the hostages, gaves the news, asks for food and comes back to Verleumont to join the hostages with the bread and milk. Some stories will never be written in the books but Pierre shuttled back and forth many times, telling to the families "they are OK, give me food for them", he was like a ferret. My uncles Léon, Camille and Alfred were in this group. Later, the Germans liberated them because of the advance of the american troups, they put the german troups to rout. On december 27th and 28th, G Cy 508 th beat of the enemy to the Thier del Preux (Jos. KISSANE - 508° cy G) Thier del Preux, woods, 2 kms from Brux. Hélène is looking through the little window. "the boots, the boots, there are american boots. Everybody is crying in the cellar. My mother is taking us in her arms, " we shall go out very soon, we are still waiting and at least, the beautiful young soldiers are coming back. The boys who called me "baby" and who gave me chocolates and sugar. Irma TARGNION-REMACLE
to follow....
N.B. my mother's first name was Hélène, she was very courageous, generous and devoted but also self-effacing just like Helen in Savannah. I was in motion to see Helen because she looks like my mother and to day, I would like to send my love to all of you who liberated us with a special thought to Helen with thanks for her kindness to us and her love for everybody. Irma.
Nolan Powell

Hi BEN,

    Below is the message that was read to each man before he jumped in Southern France 15/Aug/1944. I copied
it in the World War II Archives in Suitland, Maryland in the 1980's. The copy is not clear enough to scan. I hope my typing will be the same as the original message.

                                                       TOP SECRET

                             HEADQUARTERS 517TH PARACHUTE INFANTRY CT
                                                 APO 758, U. S. ARMY

       1. The following general considerations should be noted in the operation now being undertaken.

 a. For most of us this is our first combat jump. Consequently some may be a little apprehensive.         Remember that the advantage is with the attacker, as the enemy does not know exactly how or when he is
going to be struck. Particularly in an airborne operation in which we land in his rear areas where his CP's, lines of communications, and supply echelons are set up, our activities will give him grave concern. The enemy  consequently will be a lot more apprehensive than we are. That the enemy will react to our landing by movement of forces towards our area should be expected within a few hours. However by that time we expect to be pretty well set for him and deal out a lot of punishment. It must be remembered also that he will be engaged  at many other points by other airborne units and the large scale attack by the amphibious landing. There can be no doubt of the success of this operation if we use our heads and keep our confidence, work quickly but smoothly and act aggressively using good tactics and security measures.

      2. It will be dark when we first land. It will be difficult to see what is going on around us. Therefore, we must not start firing promiscuously at anything that moves. You must be certain it is the enemy before you fire. After the first unit lands many of our men will be moving around the area, some already in assembly or moving to assembly positions and others recovering bundles. Don't fire first and find it is one of your own men later. Weapons, on landing, should be loaded and locked, and fired only on orders of an officer or in case of an emergency. The sound of enemy weapons is known to you and should disclose the location of enemy forces if present. Enemy flares may be fired around the area to give the appearance of enemy strength and to cause us to be alarmed. Remember that more casualties can be caused by some of our own men getting trigger happy than from enemy fire. It is possible that your stick may land some distance from the DZ. Your action in this case should be considered. The general idea is to move to your Battalion assembly area and if the Battalion has already left for its objective join them there. If this is impossible join up with friendly troops preferably of this unit and assist them in accomplishing their mission. In either case do as much damage as possible on the way, for example a staff car or a truck load of Germans may be driving along the road unaware of your presence in the area. In case no officers are present with your group the senior NCO should be prepared to take over. All men will be issued instructions regarding the terrain, important towns, streams etc. also a map in the escape kit. Remember that a few men can create a hell of a lot of trouble if they happen to be in the right place.

      3. Due to lack of transport in landing and the difficulties of supply, don't expect an easy time. However, I am confident that this outfit can take care of itself in any situation that may arise. May success reward our efforts, and good hunting to each and every one of you.

                                                                                    R.D. Graves,
                                                                                    Lt. Col. 517th Prcht Inf
                                                                                    Commanding

                                                          TOP SECRET
George Ross

Hi Ben and all!

I'm writing to get some help...my dad..George Ross..F Company was wondering about Warren Caufield and how he's doing I told him I'd se if anyone had any news on Warren also if anyone has an address or an Email address for him I,d appreciate it if they could pass it along?

Mr Frice,always a joy to see your notes on here.

Take care

George Ross (son)
Bob Barrett

Dad,

I ran across this website selling a new design for 517 shirts:

Here's the logo:

Bob