From: Ben517
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 1:47 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1014 517TH PRCT-NOVEMBER 23,2005
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Send mail.  517th Mail Call

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205-7904

Dedication of our web site

This site is dedicated to all Troopers of the 517th PRCT, their families, and the brave French and Belgian Resistance Fighters who supported and fought with the 517 PRCT in WWII.

Michelle Sarver

Hi Ben,

    Amazing, I sent the email to you and the next day, I received a letter
from Mel Biddle! It was a very nice letter and stated that he didn't get to
know Uncle Andy because he had only been with the outfit a few days.  He did
say that he was only about 10 feet from him when he got killed and the
medic, Joe (Red) Williams tried to save Uncle Andy when he was shot.  He
also mentioned that although he did not have any photos, he has seen some
over the years.  Hopefully someone will read one of the requests on the mail
call!  I will phone Ed Jordan.  Thank you for the info on the Murphy's Law
of Combat (Murphy's Law, ironic ....)

Thanks again .... Happy Thanksgiving!

Michelle

Me again!  Just looking at the 517th site (as I do everyday!), I was reading
the history of the 517th and it talks about the medals earned by the
members.  Is there any way to know exactly what medals Uncle Andy was
awarded without going through the military records request to the
government?  He may not have received any except for the purple heart since
he was KIA.  I checked out the dropzone site for a copy of the 517th
"attack" logo and I have seen the airborne patches, but I have no way of
knowing which one (or more than one) he would have worn on his uniform.  I
copied the Murphy's Law of Combat and the Paratroopers Patron Saint for the
album I'm putting together for my Dad.  Thanks!

Michelle
                                                                        **********
Can any member of the 1st Bn. help Michelle to find information about her uncle Andrew Murphy. The first member of the 517 to be KIA.-Ben

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben, A note to Irma–
There are several things in your story that struck a cord. The first is about the brave young man form Brussels, Pierre. Getting food in those days was a Godsend. His shuttling back and forth from the hostages to the farms was a feat worthy of your admiration and ours. Not only that, he took care of the animals Although my father was a superintendent of schools in a small Iowa town, I was a whisker short of being a farm boy. We kept a cow that I milked night and morning from grade school through high school. I knew that the cows needed to be milked twice a day and fed, if they were to continue to give milk. I am sure Pierre was a welcomed sight not only to the hostages of the German needing food, but also to the livestock who he tended until the owners could get back home. On the 27th and 28th of December 1944, which you mention as days of fierce defensive combat for the 508th, the third battalion of the 517th, less G Co., was retaking Manhay from the Germans.

Your story also takes me back to our attack south of Stavelot some time later. We had the high ground to take. On the second day of the advance, we came upon a farm family that had been able to stay put. The farmer had gathered the neighbor’s cattle into his barn where he fed and milked the cows. At that time, we had not been able to get our hands on fresh milk for what seemed like an eternity. Our milk and eggs in Europe were dried. Although the cooks, when we were out of combat, did their best, it is impossible to make dried stuff taste like the real thing. In combat, the cooks served as litter bearers, while we ate K rations when we could get them. As we went by in the attack, the farmer’s daughter, a pretty ten (or so) year old, poured fresh milk into our canteen cups. To my dying day, I will always remember the thoughtfulness of that family and that pretty young Belgian girl.

One of the neighborhood cattle did not make it due to an incoming mortar round. Lt. Col. Paxton shot the animal in the head with his forty-five as we ran by in the attack. I am told that only a skeleton was left by the time the battalion had passed. An order against fires did not prevent the troops from devouring steak that afternoon.

Thanks again for your recollections. I’m glad you kids got a kick out of the wounded German’s messing up your fastidious aunt’s impeccable corner in that basement hideout. I did too. Howard Hensleigh

Marie Rommel
Ben-Warren Caulfield's last address (as of less than a year ago) was Warren Caulfield
16 Killean Park
Albany, NY 12295-4027
At that time Doris said he wasn't able to attend any functions for the 517.
Marie Rommel

This photo was taken on our 1944 trip to Belgium-Ben