From: Ben517
Sent: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 7:57:21 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1015 517TH PRCT-NOVEMBER 24, 2005

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

                     Happy Thanksgiving

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205-7904
Bob Barrett

Dad,

You're probably not familiar with this, but there is a publicly available free encyclopedia on the web, called Wikipedia (www.wikipedia.org).  It is fully hyperlinked and written by volunteers around the world.  It is growing quickly and is fairly well known.

I did a search in the Wikipedia for info on the 517th and found a few minor references, but there was not a specific entry about the 517th.  So I added a page.  Take a look and let me know if you want to suggest any changes.

Bob
Ray Hess

Trooper pictures

Bob Cooper

Bob Christie

Ben, I will attach the Reunion Roster unedited. It is easier that way. I am hurrying to get the 4th. Quarter issue ready. Having some problems. I have to go to hospital every other day to have my Wick changed. Feel like the old kerosene lamps or before kerosene there was whale oil.As soon as the wound is healed, they will start the chemo, maybe in two weeks Don't eat too much. I have trouble eating. My eyes are bigger than my stomach. If I eat too much, I get to feeling bad. Tomorrow, I will have to use more will power and resist overloading with all that good stuff in front of me. Our oldest daughter Trudie and son-in-law, Vance are coming down from Lakeland to share the bountiful harvest. Recently, I wrote about Fred Brown, wondering how they were doing. I received a letter from him, relating their experience with "Katrina" It was quite a relief hearing from him. The letter will be in this 4th Qtr. Thunderbolt. A Joyous Thanksgiving to all our "Band of Brothers" and to the Auxiliary, our extended family. Bob
Boom Boom Alicki

Bob Dickson

Hi Ben,  I recently received notification from the National Personnel Records Center of the Awarding of the Bronze Star to my late Father PFC John B. Dickson of A-company 517th PIR.  It was in response to a request I submitted for awarding the Presidential Unit Citation to my father for his participation in the action at Soy-Hotton with 1/517.  My father was awarded the Combat Infantry Badge in January 1945 and it was the award criteria for the CIB that the Bronze Star was awarded.  I thought it was interesting and that other veterans might be deserving of the Bronze Star under this provision and I wanted to pass on this information.  I will quote the NPRC letter verbatim:
    " The Bronze Star Medal was established in February 1944 as an award that could be made to enlisted men.  Announcement of the criteria for this award was made several months later.  At the conclusion of World War II, General George C. Marshall, upon reviewing the number of awards received by infantrymen accounted for more casualties than any other branch or element of the U.S. Armed Forces.  It was determined that many commanders in the field were unaware of the criteria for awarding the Bronze Star Medal.  This reason, combined with the late announcement of the award criteria, created an inequity.  To alleviate this problem, a special provision was established in 1947 so that any soldier who had been cited for "exemplary combat in ground combat" was eligible to receive a special award of the Bronze Star Medal.  The citation could be in the form of a citation in orders, a certificate, or orders awarding either the Combat Infantryman Badge or Combat Medical Badge, since the initial criteria for these badges required "exemplary conduct."
    This provision was not extended to veterans of subsequent conflicts because the Bronze Star Medal was firmly established and the criteria widely published and known."

I thought this information was important enough to pass on to any veteran who might be eligible for this provision.

Thanks Ben, The web site is excellent and I look forward to reading the mail call.

Bob Dickson, son of PFC John B. Dickson A-Co 517th
Mark Landreth

Ben; Simple words are not enough. But, on this blessed Thanksgiving eve, I hope the troopers of the 517th will accept my grateful thanks for all you did. May He always be with you and bless you and yours. mark landreth

Bob Dickson

My Father's (PFC John Dickson , A-Co 1/517) separation record (WG AGO form 100) states that he participated in one combat jump in Lille France.  I researched all the combat jumps of WWII but there is none listed for Lille France.  Could this be a mistake or possibly a jump that was not considered "a combat" jump?   My Dad transferred in to the 517th in November of 1944 after completing Jump school in Sicily in October 1944.  He was wounded on Christmas 44 near Soy and remained with the unit until his discharge in September 1945.

    If there are any 517th Veterans who remember that Jump or can offer some insight into what happened, I would appreciate hearing from them.  my email is rjdckson1@aol.com

Thanks Bob Dickson
Cindy Gossard

Ben,

Could you please send the Mailcall to my new e-mail address

I enjoy the mail call very much and would hate to not receive it anymore.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving
Cindy Keller
Niece to Dallas Long of the 517th

Lou Holzworth

Happy Thanksgiving!

Check this out...make sure you have the sound on.

Roger Marquet  ( from Belgium )

Happy Thanksgiving !
Roger Marquet
     COBRA
Chenogne, 1d
B-6640 Sibret
+32 (0) 61.21.91.51

Bill Boyle

For Michelle Sarver ---Andy---I do not know if it was awarded but as an Infantryman
in combat he should be awarded a Combat Infantry badge and a Bronze Star with V.
Two are all that I could say. I was the Bn. C.  O.
                                                                   Bill Boyle
                                          wildbill517@aol.com