From: Ben517
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2005 3:11 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1016 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 25, 2005
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Always glad to hear from our Belgian Friend Eddy Monfort.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205-7904

From Wikipedia on our website.

  What does a HERO Look Like?

Irma's story part 4

Dear Ben, dear friends,
I will try to follow to tell you what I remember from this so hard time. I am happy to read the note of Howard Hensleigh. In fact, a few years ago, we tried to find this family and the young girl. We were looking for her on the way from Stavelot, Hénumont, Logbiermé, Poteau... no luck. Arnold's cousin is living in Hénumont (near Logbiermé) he was 11 years old during the Battle but he is not able to remember who could be this family. Sorry. I am very touched that you are interested in this part of my life. Thanks. Irma.
BATTLE OF THE BULGE
Brux - Lierneux
We are leaving the cellar. Nestor's house has been completely destroyed. They are upset but happy to be alive. They say that they will try to stay in the barn. Our house is not destroyed but everything is broken, all the windows, the doors. On the floor, there are many little holes and René says :"it is OK to play marbles". My mother does not like untidiness, she must be very angry but she only says "what a mess". Immediately, she begins to clean, to arrange,she is looking for the kneading trough. She goes to the fountain to get water and she tells us : I shall knead bread. There is a room downstairs which is rather saved; it is a kind of kitchen where my mother used to bake. This room opens on the farmyard where there are now many soldiers, trucks, tents and a big fire. A soldier calls us and he gives us soup and meat. It is good but there is a strange red sauce on the meat. I never eat such a gravy. The dough is ready, my mother is going to milks the cows and to feed them. She wants to bake the bread as soon as possible but the kind soldiers
asks her to go into the house. They are gathering all of us in a room as my mother is coming with packages. Auntie Pauline and Auntie Marie join us. We cannot move and Auntie Pauline begins to pray again. I escape and I go in an other room which is full with soldiers. Surprise, they are also praying ! A big boy called Willy takes me on his knees, he joins my hands and he talks to me but I do not understand so I begin to pray. I only know "Ave Maria" (not very well) but I try, I think that Willy is glad, I see tears on his face. My mother is coming to pick me up, she looks angry but Willy says : Me...ci, Madam. Auntie Marie says in our dialect : they have children too...
On the road, there are now many big trucks and we are in the doorway. We shall leave very soon... no news from my father, where is he ?
                                             to follow

Don Gentry

Hello Ben and Bob, I just checked out the Wikipedia site and it looks great. Two comments, Melvin Biddle was in B Company which would be 1st Bn vice 3rd during the Soy-Hotten battle. That is when my cousin Richard Baysinger was hit by a sniper and Pace was killed by 88 shell. They were also in B Company.

Comment 2: I think I read a letter recently about the accomplishments of the individuals over time and the number of general officers, etc. and I think one Sgt later became the SGT MAJ of the Army (early 1945 assignee to 517) You have caught the bulk and appreciate the effort you both have put into this organization. This addition to the Wikipedia is a wonderful statement.

MSG Don R. Gentry
US Army Security Agency Retired
Still Serving
East Wenatchee, Washington
don.gentry@us.army.mil
509 884-2245

Bob  Barrett

Dad,

I fixed the Biddle reference, and added a couple more, including George Dunaway, the Sergeant Major of the Army.  Most of this info is under "Soldier's Stories".

Bob
Robert Cohen

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Robert Cohen

1 Boulevard Général Delfino

06300 Nice.  France

Morris McDowell

Hello Bob, & Ben,
I just wanted to say
THANK YOU
, to both of you, for the great job you do with mail call. I hope you both are together on this Thanksgiving Day, & are able to enjoy all of your Family. Thank you, Morris

Bob Dalrymple

DEAR BEN . RE BOB DICKSON ON THE BRONZE STAR MEDAL. IT WAS NOT CONFINED TO EMS  . I WEAR THE MEDAL WITH OAK LEAF CLUSTER FOR MY WORK ON THE ASSAULT OF THE RHINE RIVER JUST SOUTH. OF VESEL WITH THE 4TH ARMORED DIV AND THE 30TH INFANTRY DIV, AS OPERATIONS OFFICER  OF THE 1153RD ENGR COMBAT GROUP, AND THE V FOR VALOR FOR MY WORK WITH THE 517TH IN THE ARDENNES .BOB DALRYMPLE

Entry of Nov 24, 2005 at 21:04 [EST]
Name: John Egelhof
Unit:
EMail:
jvaulter@paulbunyan.net
How I found the 517th page: Link from another web page
Comments: I am one of the eight children of Pfc Joseph B Egelhof, who joined Co. D in September of 44 after jump school in Rome, served in Co. D till after the Bulge when he became a scout in the Hq. Company. He was a BAR man and died in 1980. I attended a reunion with him in the 1960s in North Carolina
                                             ***********
I was in the cadre at that parachute school in Rome, Italy.  The FFI and American volunteers were training to become paratroopers.  One soldier who had won a battlefield commission had the good sense not to jump out of an airplane despite the pleas of our Commanding Officer, Capt. Moon Mullins.-Ben

 Eddy Monfort

Dear Mr Barrett,

I hope that all is fine for you and family.

I write you just a few words to say hello and given you some informations.

Last month, I had the pleasure to meet and stay a day with Mrs Terry Casey, her husband and two friends.  Mrs Casey is the sister of Captain James Patrick Birder, the officer commanding the Company I/517th.  We visited Manhay and area.  We had a wonderful day all together in Belgium.

Two weeks ago, I was in your country, in Washington DC and College Park (MD).  I stayed several days at the National Archives for researches.  When I was in the Picturial room, I found a photo of a man of the 517th - Pfc. Joseph Locke (Van Naye - California). He is a member of the Company B/517. This photo was taken in Henumont Belgium on January 14 or 16, 1945.

During my trip, I visited the area and I visited a friend (John Schaffner) of the 106th Infantry Division near Baltimore (MD). He was also in the area of Manhay during the Battle of the Bulge, particularly at Baraque de Fraiture (Parker's Crossraods).   We have all a friend that live not to far from Baltimore. We visited Jim Royer Hq/ 3rd Bn - 517th during a nice afternoon.

Later, during my trip, I was at Fayetteville (NC) who I visited the Airborne & Special Operations Museum.  Very interesting and nice.  You have also a monument at this place !

All is fine in my family.

Best Wishes to all of you,

Your friend from Manhay,

Eddy Monfort

                    ??????????                                         Terry and husband

                                                                        Jim Royer        John Schaff