From: Ben517
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 2:00 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1018 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 28,2005

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Reunions will begin after the New Year. We have just received notice of the change in Bradenton reunion and notification of the Palm Springs reunion. I expect to be at both. Gene Frice will soon send us information about the National reunion in Portland, Oregon sometime in July 2006.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7
 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205-7904

Recent website additions:
Capt James Birder, I Company
1st Sgt. Dallas Long, G Company
(William) Herbert Ford, H Company
Savannah 2005 Reunion photos
Lt. Gen. Dick Seitz at the Savannah, GA 517th Reunion
Eric E. Anderson video bio
Airborne Invasion of Southern France by Col. Tom Cross

Bob Christie

Ben, Now Hear This!!!!   The Motel, Quality Inn is closed for repairs. There was a fire. They are remodeling and couldn't guarantee that they would be done by Jan. 22nd. I have a Days Inn a few blocks south on the same highway (Rt. 41) on the other side. It is in a better location with beaucoup restaurants nearby. There is an I-Hop there and I am getting a better deal  on the whole package. All rooms including handicaps are the same price-$74.99. Those of you who have already sent in your registration fee have refunds coming which you will receive at the Reunion, if that is satisfactory. All the details will be in the Thunderbolt Which should be mailed Dec.30. I will try to do it sooner so that those that aren't on E-mail can beat the deadline. It is only about two blocks from my house as the crow flies and I could jump one fence. The special room rate will be honored from Friday, Jan. 20-Saturday, Jan. 28. The banquet will be catered by the same person who would have done it at the Quality.  If there are any questions please feel free to ask me. The hospitality room is larger and all facilities are nearby. What a relief!!!! I thought I was in a bind for sure. Have a great Christmas and a bigger and better New Year!! Bob

Ben, Sorry, I forgot the address, etc.
Days In
3506 First Street West
Bradenton, FL 34208
(941)746-1141
Cell: (941)737-2346
Fax: (941)745-2382

Bill Christian

Ben

Could you please post this first notice of the 2006 West Coast reunion. I would like to give the troopers enough time to plan their vacations. I suggest sometime after the first of the year to again post this information. Thanks.

Bill
                                                  ***********
We will soon have details on the website-Ben

Tom Evans

Many thanks to Bob Barrett for the Wikipedia page on the 517th.  It
looks great.

Tom Evans
(son of Malcolm "Red" Evans)

Bob Dalrymple

Ben: The Banquet was in 1994 at Saint Jacque. I think it was St. Jacque. It could have been Trois Points ? Bob Dalrymple
                                  *********
It was in St. Jacque at the Loburg Restaurant at 8.00PM- Ben

Blane Dolges

If you can please add me to your mail list.
Also can some one from E Company look at the photo that you just added and
identify Sergeant Jim Dipko.

Thanks,
Blane

Lory Curtis

Ben
   Please let Michelle know that she can call the Army Personnel Center in St Louis, Mo at 1-800-318-5298.  They should be able to give her information about how to obtain official records of her father, Andrew Murphy.  Let her know there was a terrible fire there in the records department back in 1975 and many records were lost.  If they can find the records they may send her the medals he would have received.  Also let her know that my Dad remembers Andrew and the day he was KIA.  I may have a picture of Andrew Murphy that my Dad took on Tennessee Maneuvers.  I will try and email it to you tomorrow.

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis Hq lst Bn.

Lory Curtis

Ben,
     I sent my dad a CD copy of General Seitz's speech from the reunion.  He enjoyed listening to it very much, but wanted me to ask if there was anyway of getting a written copy of his speech?  I too listened to his speech and thought it was wonderful.  I would like to see it printed in the Thunderbolt and posted on the website.

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1stBN

The speech was off the cuff. He had no prepared notes. We were fortunate to
have Eric Anderson  record it.

Ben

If that was off the cuff, Gen Seitz is one dynamic speaker.  What a tremendous speech.  I'll let my dad know
Thanks Ben
Lory

Lory Curtis

Ben,
    I wanted to ask you who designed and drew the 517th patch with the parachuting Buzzard?  How did the 517th become the "Battle Buzzards"
Thanks
Lory Curtis

According to Tom Cross:

The patch was designed by Dick Spencer of the 3rd Battalion 517 PIR. Someone said it was made to look scrawny as a left handed salute to Colonel Graves.

It was never officially authorized as far as I know. Dick Spencer drew it and we did what ever we wanted or I should say could get away with.  I do not remember any official document stating where and when it would be worn on an article of uniform clothing. It was used mostly on invitations, papers, booklets etc. The 2nd Battalion scroll described in your message and shown in the First Airborne Task Force book is a new one on me. The only time I saw it was in the book. It was probably personally designed by the  wearer who had it made up by someone in Nice with a sewing machine.  Some of the men also had their long GI overcoats cut short and this too was unauthorized. I was standing beside Colonel Graves when he really got upset about the short overcoats and the blackened helmets that had been used for cooking rations etc. This event took place when the Regiment was making its foot march from the Maritime Alps
positions to La Colle-Sur-Loup outside of Nice. The end result of this was a rigid training cycle that commenced in earnest when we closed on Soissons before heading to Belgium and the Bulge.