From: Ben517
Sent: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 8:31:59 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1021 517TH PRCT--DECEMBER 6,2005

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

 Let me know if anyone had trouble receiving Mail Call #1020.

 Tomorrow December 7 is Pearl Harbor Day. Boom Boom Alicki was there.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7
 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205-7904
Jay Sutcliffe

Mr. Barrett,
I read Jeff Wilhoit's letter in Mail Call, he has a good idea.  I have tried in vain for quite a while now to contact Colonel North and his show "War Stories", the show is shown on the Fox network.  I have not heard back from him or any of his people.  The story of the 517 would, in my opinion make a great showing.  I've attached the letter that I send; this has been in various formats, but basically the same as the attached.  I've plagiarized some of the writing from the website.
 The e-mail for the show is warstories@foxnews.com .  If all of the recipients of Mail Call would write a letter or just copy the attached, and send it to the above e-mail address, possibly the show would consider doing a segment on the 517.
 As always thanks for all your hard work!
Thanks
Jay
Colonel North,
I am again writing you to consider doing a segment on the 517 PRCT.
 The 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team (PRCT), one of the U.S. Army's first elite combat units, began its existence in March of 1943, training in the backwoods of Georgia. Although it began as an element of the 17th Airborne Division and was eventually incorporated into the 13th Airborne Division, the 517th saw most of its combat (in Italy, southern France, and the Battle of the Bulge) as an independent unit.
 Before its dissolution after only thirty-three months, the outfit of 2,500 men endured some of the heaviest fighting of the European campaigns - from Italy through the invasion of Southern France, then the bitter winter in the Ardennes (in the Battle of the Bulge) and the final thrust into Germany.
 During its relatively brief lifetime, the 517th Regimental Parachute Combat Team collected one Congressional Medal of Honor, six Distinguished Service Crosses, five Legion of Merits, 131 Silver Stars, 631 Bronze Stars, 2 Air Medals, 4 Soldiers Medals, 17 French Croix De Guerre, and 1,576 Purple Hearts -- at the cost of 247 killed.
 The 517 holds a reunion every year, and has done so for the last 60 years, not only do the 517 show, but also French and Belgium citizens come to pay homage to those that have liberated their towns from the Germans.
 They also have a very active website
 Please consider the 517 for a future showing
 Thanks
Jay
Don Sliker
 Ben:
I probably have sent this to you before but if I haven't it's my dads certificate of graduation from jump school dated 01/16/1943. I did send it to Col. Cross awhile ago to see of he could explain the dates and the apparent conflict with the 517th history.  This after his comments about not receiving a certificate in one of the mail calls. I do remember dad talking about a Lt from jump school but do not know if this is Lt. Alicki. Is it possible that they both graduated from jump school on the same day and were both sent to the same unit as the early cadre noted in the units history. I also do know that my dad had come from a medical unit in Va to jump school and according to him never received basic training in the traditional manner. I know that Lt. Alicki was not in E Co but he may be able to fill in the blanks about this early time in the units and my dads personal history at Toccoa. Could you forward this info to him as I do not have his e-mail address along with this copy of dads certificate. Thanks
Don Sliker Jr.
                                          ***********
John Alicki and Don Sliker both qualified on January 16, 1943-Ben

John Egelhof

 Bob:  I wonder if you could post this to your mail call.  I have my Dad's letters home from the front.  He was a Company D BAR man at the Bulge, was nicknamed "Eaglebeak", and was best buddies with Sam "Sambo" Emmons, Jr. and someone named "Chickie."  He writes th his Mom that " in an attack on which we rode on tanks, my tank was disabled in the middle of an open field and I was knocked off into very deep snow.  My foot hit a fence post buried in the snow and hurt my ankle.  I managed to climb on another tank and was one of the first five men into our section of the town where it was grenades and close fire.  I was in action the next day and night and then my foot started to hurt  and when I was in my foxhole I couldn't move my feet enough to keep from getting a beautiful case of frostbite." He also wrote that on the way down to the hospital he heard the radio from the states for the first time in months and hearing music after a solid month of 88's, screaming meenies and burp guns was almost as good as the chow and sheets at the hospital.  In a later letter to his Dad, he wrote that he froze his feet on Jan 25.  It appears that the attack took place on or about Jan 22-23.
I wonder if any of your veterans would know what town Company D was attacking or what armored unit was carrying them?  He also wrote many other letters for the short time he was with the 517th.
Chronicle on our website shows that D Co. attacked Hunnange riding tanks and along with  F Co. by foot captured  Hunnange and 149 prisoners--Ben

Boom Boom Alicki

DIFFERENT CHRISTMAS POEM

"The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light, I gazed round the room and I cherished the sight. My wife was asleep, her head on my chest, My daughter beside me, angelic in rest. Outside the snow fell, a blanket of white, transforming the yard to a winter delight. The sparkling lights in the tree I believe, Completed the magic that was Christmas Eve. My eyelids were heavy, my breathing was deep, Secure and surrounded by love I would sleep. In perfect contentment, or so it would seem, So I slumbered, perhaps I started to dream. The sound wasn't loud, and it wasn't too near, But I opened my eyes when it tickled my ear. Perhaps just a cough, I didn't quite know, Then the sure sound of footsteps outside in the snow. My soul gave a tremble, I struggled to hear, And I crept to the door just to see who was near. Standing out in the cold and the dark of the night, a lone figure stood, his face weary and tight. A soldier, I puzzled, some twenty years old, Perhaps a Marine, huddled here in the cold. Alone in the dark, he looked up and smiled, standing watch over me, and my wife and my child. "What are you doing?" I asked without fear, "Come in this moment, it's freezing out here! Put down your pack, brush the snow from your sleeve, You should be at home on a cold Christmas Eve!" For barely a moment I saw his eyes shift, Away from the cold and the snow blown in drifts.. To the window that danced with a warm fire's light Then he sighed and he said "Its really all right, I'm out here by choice. I'm here every night." "It's my duty to stand at the front of the line, That separates you from the darkest of times. No one had to ask or beg or implore me, I'm proud to stand here like my fathers before me. My Gramps died at 'Pearl on a day in December," Then he sighed, "That's a Christmas 'Gram alway remembers." My dad stood his watch in the jungles of 'Nam', And now it is my turn and so, here I am. I've not seen my own son in more than a while, But my wife sends me pictures, he's sure got her smile. Then he bent and he carefully pulled from his bag, The red, white, and blue... an American flag. "I can live through the cold and the being alone, Away from my family, my house and my home. I can stand at my post through the rain and the sleet,I can sleep in a foxhole with little to eat. I can carry the weight of killing another, Or lay down my life with my sister and brother.. Who stand at the front against any and all, To ensure for all time that this flag will not fall." "So go back inside," he said, "harbor no fright, Your family is waiting and I'll be all right." "But isn't there something I can do, at the least, "Give you money," I asked, "or prepare you a feast?" It seems all too little for all that you've done, For being away from your wife and your son." Then his eye welled a tear that held no regret, "Just tell us you love us, and never forget. To fight for our rights back at home while we're gone, To stand your own watch, no matter how long. For when we come home, either standing or dead, To know you remember we fought and we bled. Is payment enough, and with that we will trust, That we mattered to you as you mattered to us."

 May God Bless,  and may WE ALL PRAY FOR OUR MILITARY PERSONNEL EVERY NIGHT!