From: Ben517
Sent: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 7:05:00 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1022 517TH PRCT--DECEMBER 7, 2005

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Today is Pearl Harbor Day

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7
 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205-7904

Helen Beddow

Hello everyone,
For those that had orders for items from the Savannah Reunion, all orders for clocks, shirts and money clips have been shipped as of December 5th.  The reprints on the pictures arrived today.  I will have the pictures shipped no later than Monday, December 12th.  Hal and I are going to Atlanta this weekend for the Baptism of Hal's second great-granddaughter.  If I can get the pictures shipped before we go to Atlanta, I will do so, otherwise, they will be in the mail by the 12th.  I have ordered some extra money clips and clocks if anyone needs them.
 I want to thank all of you for being so patient with me in getting the orders to you.  I am sending a CD to Bob Christie of the pictures so they can be put in the Thunderbolt.  I especially liked the picture of all of the men on the front steps of the DeSoto.
 Hal and I want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Thank you for coming to Savannah for the Reunion and having such a great time.
It was so nice to meet so many wonderful people.

Blane Dolges
Ben

Jim Dipko is my cousin KIA June 24th 1944 Staff Sergeant, Jim was killedbefore I was born. He and his loss  is very dear to my family.
We have no pictures of him, Tom Cross told me he should be in the picture of E Company at Toccoa from Lee Lacy that was just placed in the photos on your web site. He knew Russ Brami and Gene Brissey also.  I can not tell you how much I enjoyed talking to them. Lately I have not been able contact them. I hope all is OK. I think I found Jim in the photo, I have an older cousin that may be able to pick him out. I know he was with you  guys for a short time and it may be hard to ID him. I just need to know what direction to go.

There is a  story I have.

The only thing we had left from Jimmy was one of those old red hunting
coats back in Pa. My daughter was so proud of that coat she took it to school each day in Orrville, Ohio. Orrville is where Smuckers Jelly started out. It looked kind of old and a teacher  thought she was poor and asked her if they could buy her a new coat. She advised them very proudly of the coats story and that was that .
My daughter is back home on our farm in Pa. with my grandson who just got here in June. The farm is the place Jim used to play when he spent summers with his grandmother. I will pass on all I can to  my grandson the story about Jim and about the history of the 517PIR.

Thanks,
Blane Dolges
1-800-433-1986 Ext 5955

Joe Miller
Ben--To those who remember him--Joe Miller is in the hospital after a bad fall Thanksgiving at 5 A.M.  He is one big bruise--all except his head.  His spirits aren't bad, considering the fall.  Fortunately, he doesn't have any fractures.  His buddy in the 517th, Bill Conger, is having a lot of problems with his thyroid and is also tired and weak, so include them in your prayers
                                                            ***************
Remember Him!!!  Joe Miller is a past president of the 517 Association and was instrumental in getting the Airborne Stamp approved,-Ben

Howard Hensleigh

Hi Ben:
Note to Jay Sutcliffe. The 517th saw all of its combat as a separate combat team. We were 5th Army troops in Italy, First Airborne Task Force troops in S. France and 18th Airborne troops in the Bulge. You wrote a good letter. I am not surprised that that damned marine has not answered you. Howard Hensleigh

William Cornett

Hi Ben
I am going to be in Florida in Jan. 06. I know the reunion is that month. If I recall it might be the end of Jan. Hope not . I was hoping to attend so I could meet some of the guys my dad had the privilege of serving with. Let me know the date and place if you would please.
William Cornett

Betty Traver

Hi Ben, just got a email off to Col. North as requested.  It would be wonderful to see him do a show on the 517th.
Myrle and I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,  Betty Traver (F Co.)