From: Ben517
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2005 3:06 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1024 517TH PRCT-DECEMBER 10. 2005
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

December 9, 1944 the first two  40 & 8 trains with the 517 troops arrived at Soissons and the next day the third one arrived very much over crowded. A Training Directive for the next eight weeks was issued but within two weeks that was interrupted. The Battle of The Bulge would begin.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

Annual Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion 2006

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7
 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205-7904

Pat Seitz and  Allan Greer

Dear Ben:
     Would you please let Irma Targnion know how much we appreciate her taking the time to share (in English) her and her family's experiences during WWII.  Irma, Marie and the CADUSA members were such outstanding hosts and gave us such a royal, warm welcome when Dad, Alan and I were in Belgium this summer.  I am so glad Irma and her wonderful husband were able to make it to the reunion this summer.
Pat and Alan
PS As to the Mail Call note about Howard Hensleigh doing a biography, I join in the hope that each of the 517th members is writing or has written his autobiography, including Howard.  We are forever grateful to our stepmother Ginny that she was able to persuade Dad to write his "Important Dates."  It has been a gift beyond all measure for us kids.
Jim Royer

Ben, On Tuesday morning at 10:30, June will undergo back surgery. A
piece of bone broke off and lodged near a nerve, causing severe pain.
Keep us in your prayers.
   A happy and joyous holiday season to all.
                                     Jim Royer, Hq 3rd

Darrell Egner

Wow, isn't Mail Call wonderful.  I can't even imagine what we would do without Ben, Bob and Christie.  It's so great that I can send my greeting to all the members of the 517 that are on Mail Call and those that read the Thunderbolt.  Yes, Bob Christie I know I am too late for the 4th Quarter Thunderbolt but I don't think about Christmas in October.

I feel very privileged to have served with the best "Band of Brothers" from start to finish.  And now we have an Auxiliary that will carry on for our Grand Children.  Life is good!

I could go on and on but you got lucky, I have to get ready to go to a Christmas party.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year.

                                                Darrell Egner
Judie Edwards--Daughter of Bruce Chestnut

Ben:  My name is Judie Chestnut Edwards.  My Dad is Bruce Chestnut.  I just sent off an e-mail to Colonel North, also encouraging his participation/attendance at one of your reunions.  My parents have enjoyed the 517th reunions so much over the years, and luckily for my sister and myself, we will plan to attend this year with them in Portland.  We look forward to meeting everyone, and seeing Irma and Arnold Targnion again, Maria, and also Nolan Powell (he and his family, and my husband and myself visited Trois Ponts at the same time a couple of years ago).   We look forward to meeting you also!

Judie Edwards

Judie Edwards

Colonel North:

I know you will not remember this, and actually there is no reason that you should, but I offer it up since both my husband AND I have a "connection" with you.  My connection:  I was a staffer on Capitol Hill from 1979 - 1986.  During the latter part of that time, as I was supporting a U.S. Senator from South Carolina, you were associated with the White House (Office of National Security).  Our military went into Granada during that time, and while there, a small island boy was injured.  In fact, if memory serves me, he was paralyzed.  In an attempt to do a good turn, our military brought him back to the U.S., into a hospital, for care.  Subsequently, we sent him back to Granada with wheel chair.  I personally talked with you on the phone about this particular case.  I don't recall why I was asked to do so, but I do remember our telephone conversation and appreciated your insight.     And now for the other connection…..My husband is Lee Edwards, a 1968 graduate of the Naval Academy and a classmate of yours.  He went into the submarine force after leaving Annapolis, and retired in '96 as a Captain after "driving" a boomer, a fast attack, and a trident out of Kings Bay, GA.  Currently, he supports the Seawolf Submarine Program Office.

My Dad, Bruce Chestnut, is a veteran of WWII and of two tours in Vietnam.  He was only 19 when his WWII unit liberated Belgium at the Battle of the Bulge.  He and my mother both now enjoy a very close relationship with the people who remember the liberation quite well and will be forever indebted.  Lee and I were lucky enough to have an opportunity to visit Belgium where we were so very warmly received!  We actually had an opportunity to walk thru the Black Forest and to see first-hand where battles were fought.  The residents of Trois Ponts took us on tours of the 517th memorials and monuments which the Belgians and Americans have literally constructed and formally dedicated together over the years.   Lee and I  visited a historic church during our stay in Trois Ponts -- St. Jacques is its name --  where the wonderful priest and congregation welcomed us warmly, spoke lovingly of all Americans (in french), actually raised and posted the American flag during the services in honor of my Dad, the 517th, and the United States), and led everyone in the singing of the National Anthem.  The Mayor of Trois Ponts honored us at a small formal reception in his office to thank us -- to thank all Americans.  The Belgians are teaching their children about the 517th and to love and appreciate the U.S.

I know all too well that you're a most busy person.  But I can only tell you that pictures of the 517th reunions don't lie -- numbers are getting smaller now.  Your attendance would mean a great deal to the 517th and their extended families, as well as to our Belgian friends for whom these reunions are also very meaningful.  My sister and I and our husbands will be attending the reunion in Portland this summer 06.  We'd love to see you there, but if that's not possible, perhaps you could consider another visit with the 517th at another time.

Many many thanks for the consideration.  Regards to you from a former classmate (Lee) and his wife (myself).

Judie Edwards

A Bill Mauldin cartoon