From: Ben517
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:12 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1025 517TH PRCT--DECEMBER 13, 2005
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025 *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7
 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205-7904

From the website. 1944 Christmas Greetings by Colonel Graves

Irma Targnion    Part  5

Bonjour Ben,
Here is a few words more about my souvenirs
BATTLE OF THE BULGE - december 1944/january 1944
We are still in Prayon, time is dragging but now, we receive some news from our area. They say that in Lierneux in a cellar an old man died in a corner as in the same time a baby was born in an other corner; baby's name is Jean-Pierre. They say that many houses are destroyed, burnt or ransacked, many persons were killed or disappeared. To day, our neighbours want to go back to our village. It is a long way, they decide to walk (about 55 kms) So, Hélène, Catherine, Jean, Victorine are leaving in the morning, they want to stop in Chevron to spend the night. My mother says that we shall go to stay a few days with auntie Catherine in Nonceveux (Remouchamps) The Battle of the Bulge was stopped in Stoumont and Nonceveux is saved. We leave the family Laval with a warm thank you and Mr Laval promises to visit us later as he is travelling a lot for his job. Cousin Joseph and his brother Emile drive us to the farm in Nonceveux. Auntie Catherine tries to calm my mother who wishes to go back to Brux immediately. She wants to go on foot (30 kms). After a good night, my mother is leaving early in the morning and we stay with the family Bodson. The younger girl is Rose, she is 5 like me, the elder brother is Jean, he is 15; the 8 cousins are all very kind to us and uncle Joseph Bodson is funny and tries to amuse us with many games. Now I have to explain what happened to this beautiful family. In 1947, uncle Joseph died of a heart attack: the life has been very hard for all of them but my aunt was so courageous that she worked so hard on the little farm to pay school for the children. Jean became accounter, 2 boys served in the belgian army (major and captain) 3 girls became teacher, 1 had a restaurant and Paul became master at the Univerty of Montréal (Canada) now, he is retired but still living in Montréal. For my brothers and me, this week in Nonceveux is a nice souvenir. Later, my mother tells us what about her way back to Brux. She walked, she ran, she was exhausted but went on to run and when she was arriving where she can see our house, she cried, she laughed, the tears are coming, she shaked all over as she catched sight of a silhouette, she ran, she ran... the man is my father ! he is just arriving, back from Leers et Fosteau.
Many damages in the house, no windows, everything is broken and it is like after a tornado but they are alive and rather in good health. They begin to "clean" , to put millboard in the windows frames and suddenly my mother says :"where is my dinner service, no dishes, no plates left... my father is laughing, he just found it. Do you remember that when my mother left the cellar to go back in our house, the first thing she did was the dough for the bread ! the dough is green and rotten but all the dishes and plates are in the dough. The soldiers used them but as they cannot do the washing up, they put the crockery in the dough... even during sad situations, there is always something strange or funny. After many days of a hard work, the house was nearly ready to welcome us and we came back home. Our neighbours, family Demonceau are now living in the barn and they are going to spend the night with friends, Marie-Josée is sleeping at home. Some people are living in the stables but nobody is complaining. People of Ardenne seems to be primitive and boorish but they are stout fellows. Everybody began to work hard, to take care of the animals which is very important for the future life. I have never seen my parents groan or complain. Now, we are a stricken population and because of that I received the most beautiful dress of my life. Marie-Josée is a needle woman and is sewed for me a dress made with a parachute ( found in the woods) it is a silk dress, Marie-Josée also sewed shirts for my brothers. I am very proud to wear this wonderful dress when I go to the church with Catherine (I have to say that our beautiful old church is distroyed and that all the services are celebrated in a shacks) A wonderful souvenir of this time is the sound of the bells on sunday. The germen could not take them, somebody had hidden them during the war.
                                       to follow....
Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

 Ben:  thank you for sending us Maria's story.  Having met her, we can hear her voice while we read it.  Especially at this time of the year, it is so vivid and powerful.
    Pat and Alan
                                                                  ********
We will place Maria Gaspar's story in a future Mail Call.  It is on the web site in WWII Recollections -Ben

John Alicki.

Ref. to Mail Call No.1024, 12/10/05.....I agree with Pat Seitz's comment: " I join in the Hope that each of the 517th members is writing or has written his autobiography."

I have just completed my autobiography entitled, "A Veteran's Remembrance", and soon will be sending a copy to our Website masters Bob and Ben Barrett.

Also, I want to thank Nila Gott for compiling, arranging and printing my autobiography.  This grand lady has done an exceptional job.

Those interested can write to her at 3950 Mack Road, Sp 130,  Sacramento, CA 95823 or contact by Email ngott@neteze.com.

Entry of Dec 12, 2005 at 17:02 [EST]
Name: Gary Brissey
Unit: Retired Navy Chief (2000)
EMail: chiefb_1996@yahoo.com
How I found the 517th page: Other
Comments: Great Web Site. My uncle, Gene Brissey served in "E" company. He played a major role in my decision to join the Navy and serve my country. Very proud of him.

1944