From: Ben517
Sent: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 7:09:36 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1036 517TH PRCT-JANUARY 4, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I hope Mail Call is now up to date.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Jerri and Dallas Long

Gregg Harger and his wife sat across from us in our overseas trip -- oh what fun we had with them.  It is so sad when we lose our 517th friends; however, if he had been asked he would have said that is exactly how he would have wanted it.  Our love and prayers will be with his family in this period of adjustment..

Jerri Long and Dallas

Robert Cooper

Dear Joanne Supko:
My name is Robert R. Cooper CO D. I was in that battle Anthony was just to my left he was running up to throw down the machine gun Tri pod as he was a machine gunner he was hit by fire from the Germans I got to him and rolled him over he was hit by two bullets in the stomach. I can tell you he never suffered. I was able to take his pulse and he was gone. I have always remembered Anthony he was a good Paratrooper. If I remember right after all these years I think Anthony spoke a little French. I hope this will answer some of your questions. I am sure there must be some of the other guys will remember some more about  Anthony. as Anthony was not in my Squad during training some of the men his squad will remember more details of Anthony.

   Respectfully Yours
Robert Cooper Co. D

Jim Royer

To Gene Frice, President, Officers, Board Members, Friends of 517.
June and I are very sorry to report that we will not be able to attend
the Fla. reunion this year. It breaks our heart. June is recovering from
her back surgery and the doctor did not think it was very wise to travel
to Fla. this year. He thought that the long drive would be too much for
her. She has her six week follow-up on January 24. After she has
recovered sufficiently, I must go in for the removal of my gall bladder.
My doctor said if I do it as soon as possible, it should be fairly
simple, but if I wait until I have another attack, it could be much more
serious.
We know that Bob and Mildred will do, as usual, an excellent job. We
will miss all of you who do attend. Bob, your message that this will be
your last reunion was a shock. You have always been a great asset to the
517, and hope you will continue to contribute in what any way you will
be able.
So, until we meet again, have a wonderful time.
God's blessing to all.
                                   Jim & June Royer
p.s. We were also planning to make two stops after the reunion. June's
brother lives to New Port Ritchie, and my nephew lives in Oldsmar.

Tom McAvoy

Ben;  I have been trying to find out who the Medic was for H Co. in Italy Degnan who had been shot in both knees, along with this medic that had been administering to Jim and an arterial shell went off near them and cut the medics thigh so so bad you could see his leg bone,  I ask him how and where the closest Aid station was so I could run and get an ambulance. He told me and I ran about 6 miles to get the ambulance, brought it back, took stretchers out of the back and up the mountain to where Jim and the medic were and with the help of 3 other guys carried Jim down to the ambulance and went back and got the medic.  brought him down to the ambulance and we took off for the hospital  (The Ambulance driver and I ) The medic died before we could get to the hospital.  I was never able to find out his name and have wondered  often who he was? Do we show any medics having died in Italy in combat?   Also a friend of mine from Indianapolis Ind. was killed in France  by the name of Jack Hitchcock   I company,  I don't see his name listed in the KIA's in France or Italy. I just happened to be home in Indianapolis (from my combat injuries) ran into a former 517 trooper (Bob Nye) that also knew Jack  we went together to Jacks Mother's house for a friendly visit (since we both had been in the same outfit with Jack??)  That very day his Wife and Mother had been notified of his death? Thank you for any information.  Tom McAvoy
                                                      *********
Jack L. Hitchcock is listed in the      517 Honor Roll -Ben

Entry of Dec 24, 2005 at 12:38 [EST]
Name: Robert Van Ness
Unit: Navy / AirTevronOne
EMail:
vturbinator@ aol.com
How I found the 517th page: From a search engine
Comments: My uncle was Joseph F. Van Ness of B/517. He was killed on August 31 of 44. We don't know much about him. Thanks for all you have done and continue to do. I salute all the vets who were in this outfit. Thank you for your sacrifices.

Entry of Dec 25, 2005 at 17:38 [EST]
Name: Charles A. Zamorski
Unit: I Company
EMail:

How I found the 517th page: A friend told me
Comments: Happy Holidays to all from my unit and may peace be with you all. Charlie

Entry of Dec 27, 2005 at 08:56 [EST]
Name: Michael Hucal, Staff Sergeant
Unit:
EMail:
rupiper@ localnet.com
How I found the 517th page: From a search engine
Comments: My name is Chris Rupiper, and Michael Hucal was my grandfather. He passed away in March of 2000, but I've been doing some researching to find out any stories or tidbits of information from his military service. I appreciate anything that you guys can provide. Chris Rupiper

Entry of Dec 30, 2005 at 21:20 [EST]
Name: Dan Dinneen
Unit: N/A
EMail:
fc51@ mlode.com
How I found the 517th page: Heard from a member of the 517th
Comments: I have a friend that was in the 517th A company Vic Quarante

Entry of Jan 01, 2006 at 21:37 [EST]
Name: forrest
Unit: USCG
EMail:
ragsdale
How I found the 517th page: From a search engine
Comments: Looking for any info on my Father ww2 service. He joined at 17 years of age in Atlanta Ga. He was in the 17th airborne. I tried to get his records, but the government told me they were destroyed in a fire some where in Washington. He did not talk a lot about it to my mother. She thinks he trained in N.C. and fought somewhere around the Rhine river. His name is James Byron Ragsdale. If anyone one has any info on him or history of his unit please let me know. Thanks to all the Men who served their Country in all our Wars.
FK Ragsdale frags1@alltel.net

Entry of Jan 03, 2006 at 16:13 [EST]
Name: David M. Gassman Jr.
Unit: Grandfather = 517
EMail:
dga
ssman@newequitymortgage.com
How I found the 517th page: From a search engine
Comments: Gentlemen,
Hello, my name is David Gassman. I am the grandson of a 517 veteran... Charles "Nick" Gassman from Louisville KY.
Grandpaw died when I was a very young man. I have now come of age and gained an appreciation and interest in the history of the 517. Any information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated. Rest assured any information or stories of the 517 will be passed down to my son.
Best Regards,
David Jr.
502-396-1375
dgassman@newequitymortgage.com