From: Ben517
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:07 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1040 517TH PRCT-JANUARY 10, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

We have in this Mail Call, Casualty report for A Co. Feb 1945 which may help to clear up some issues. Complete roster of A Co  Christmas 1944 or any company can be found at December 1944 roster

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                    www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

Dan Dinneen

This is for John Bramswig:

John:    I talked with (Vic) Mr. Quarante and he did not recall your
father in law Ed Marconi.  I do see his name on the 517th 1944 Christmas
roster.  I see Vic usually every day he fell and broke his hip so he is
in the hospital right now. The person he does mention the most is Jesus
Castello he called him his fox hole buddy during the bulge. On a side
note it was interesting how I met Mr Quarante. I am a firefighter and I
responded to his call the first time he broke his hip. He had a WW II
paratrooper hat on and he stated that he was in the 517th and the hip
hurt worse than when he was wounded.  I have always been interested in
the paratroopers in WW II and I also have a collection. of paratrooper
items. Several months later he came to visit me at the fire station and
we have now been good friends for about 2 1/2 years now.  He has shared
many stories with me and the have all been very interesting.  Sorry I
did not have any information on your father in law.

take care Dan Dinneen

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

With all of the talk about the medics do you happen to know who the medics where for the HQ’s 2nd BN?  If you do great if not maybe someone else might know.  I think “Chop Chop” Mars was one medic of the HQ 2BN but I could be wrong.

I really enjoy hearing stories like Ted’s and Jeff’s.  It’s amazing to think that 60 years later the trooper’s kids are putting these kinds of facts together.  I will be interested to see if they find out more information.

I hope you are doing better.

Thank you!!!!

Chris Lindner

                                                ***********"Chop Chop" was a medic with Hq. 2- Ben

Frederick from So. France

Hope you are ok ! I permit myself to contact you again, and seek the help of the Association in order to know if someone has information (or pictures) on one of the 517th trooper:

 Pvt Smith Charles R. – from I Cie.

 This is because I found his helmet in Pont du Loup near Bar sur Loup. It will for sure remember you the story of Mr. Mole’s helmet, found by my friend Jean-Loup in Courmes, very close to Pont du Loup!!

 I know that my friend Roland Orengo told you already about this helmet when he came to your reunion last time (see mail call N°964). Since he was visiting you, I asked him to try to find some information on the helmet…

But in the meantime, I started a long and painful but exciting search thanks to the Army Serial Number which was written inside the helmet by the soldier “8464”. I found out that the only one trooper carrying this number in the 3rd BN (which was in Pont du Loup) was Charles Smith.

 This is why it would be wonderful to have more information on him or be in touch with him if he is still alive. I am certain that some of the vets remember him, and have pictures of him.

 Any help would be really appreciated!

 Frederic from Southern France

*************** Does anyone have information about Charles R.  Smith "I" Co.-Ben

Bob Barrett

Don't forget that Clark Archer provided some fairly complete Casualty Reports for the 1st Battalion.  February 8th, 1945, was a tough day for A Company:

     http://517prct.org/records/feb45_a.jpg

Bob