From: Ben517
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 2:52 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1041 517TH PRCT-JANUARY 11, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

After over 60 years, we apparently have made an other connection  with families of 517 members (Ted Crawford and Jeff Wilhoit).  A short while ago we made a  similar connections between Elburt Duran and the family of Harold Daniels KIA. We have Elbert's son Rubin's  email repeated below. Perhaps Rubin can send me information of how matters worked out. The last I heard Elbert had health problems .
James Bramswig has been persistent since we started Mail Call in trying to find information about his father-in-law Ed Marconi who was WIA Feb 8, 1945. Can anyone help him ?

Just received word about the passing of Garnet, Bob Dalrymple's wife.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

Annual Florida Snowbird Mini-Reunion 2006

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Joe Miller

We received word that Garnet Dalrymple passed away Sunday, January 10th.  A memorial service is planned for 3 P.M. on 21 January.  Please send Bob your prayers as it is a very difficult time for him, as you all know.  Thank you, Joe Miller
 Ted Crawford

John Bramswig,

To state the obvious. Make sure you look at the casualty list on February 8th. Your father-in-law Ed Marconi , is listed also as WIA.

 Chris Lindner

The Wilhoit-Crawford story gets little bit cooler. Jeff Wilhoit and my Brother Larry Crawford both joined the service in 1967-68 time frame. (Navy…I know dad told all of us boys to go NAVY….at least you would have a bed to sleep in. J )  Both ended up as Corpsmen. So much for the bed.  Larry Crawford served in Vietnam and Great Lakes Navy Hospital and Jeff got the best draw and served at Bethesda Medical Hospital where he met President Nixon. The best part of this is that they both survived another very tough war.

For me, I was drafted in January 1972 but I was later sent a letter signed by President Nixon that said he was ending the war and I was classified as 1H for “Holding”. The letter actually said “Don’t call us we’ll call you”.  They never called and I ended up going to Purdue. (Right near where the Wilhoit family lived…but never knew it until now.  My dad and Bill Wilhoit were in the same town together many times and never saw each other since Feb 8th, 1945.

Jeff and I have already planned lunch to talk about how cool you guys are. J

 Bob Barrett ,

Hey Bob, I noticed that casualty list is Page 1 of 2…do we know if page 2 had anything on it?  I noticed Ed Marconi was WIA.

  Ted Crawford son of Bob Crawford A Company

Mail Call No, 864
Rubin Duran

Hello Ben, sorry for the confusion please allow me to clarify our e-mail addresses  rtduran@aol.com is Ruben Duran son of Elbert Duran of A co. Lynzoot@aol.com is the granddaughter of Elbert Duran A co azyaquijre@aol.com is Ray Estrella the son in law of Elbert Duran A co. We all read your e-mails and forward them to Elbert who does not have a computer. Just recently thanks to you we were able to put him in contact with the family of Harold C. Daniels who is buried at Henri-Chapelle. He has been looking for them for 60 years. Surprisingly he has a sister that lives maybe 15 miles from his home. It was like a dream come true to talk to them for Harold was his best friend and died next to him. Thank you for your dedication to this web site, hope to see you in Palm Springs.  Ruben Duran

Mike Kane

Hi Ben.
The website mentions that casualty reports are from Army microfilm records.  Other than at the National Archives, are they kept anywhere else?  Are they accessible other than by going to DC?

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Mike Kane Jr.
                                                **********

These reports, containing KIA/WIA/MIA* records, were transcribed by Clark Archer from microfilm copies of the U.S. Army's records, such as the "Morning Reports", which are submitted by each platoon leader every morning during the war. Even these "official" records are not 100% complete, as they were done by hand, and, as Clark reminds us, it was wartime.

Here is a sample of a Morning Report from January 1945

Clark was able to transcribe casualty reports from morning reports which were on microfilm which were not too clear, as shown on sample morning report. He manage to send us most of 1st Bn. and a few others before his health deteriorated.  Someone may be able to get morning reports and complete the job. I'll try to find out how.  I talk to Clark  or his wife about once  a week . He is not well.

Ben

Tom McAvoy

I hate to beat a dead horse Ben  were any of these medics KIA  Italy??
Tom McAvoy

******** I don't  believe so. I do know the Art Graham and Maurice White returned to the states.-Ben

Matt and Delores Greene

Dear Ben, We received the Mail Call with the message from Darrell Egner.
Thank you Darrell, that is just beautiful !! We are sending it to  our
friends & relation. Matt & Delores Greene. G. Co.

Michael Arterburn

Forwarded for Veterans and their widows who may not be aware of benefits.

http://www.military.com/MilitaryReport/0,12914,84631,00.html?ESRC=vr.nl

An estimated 2 million impoverished veterans and their widows are not receiving the VA pension they deserve because they do not know about it. The Department of Veterans Affairs has had limited success in getting the information to them. Veterans, their widows, and other dependents may be eligible for the Department of Veterans Affairs pension if they meet certain requirements: (1) the veteran must have served during a time of war, even if not in combat; (2) they must be either permanently disabled or 65 or older; (3) their incomes must fall under a certain level. Widows of veterans can also apply. If you are a veteran and think you may qualify for the benefit, visit www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Milsvc/Docs/Pensoneg.doc. A widow of a veteran should read www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Milsvc/Docs/Dpeneg.doc. The VA also has a toll-free number for more information: 800-827-1000.
Contributed,
YNCS Don Harribine, USN(ret)

Forwarded by
Michael N. Arterburn