From: Ben517
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 2:02 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1042 517TH PRCT- JANUARY 12, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben:

To Tom Crawford:

I think many of the 517th PRCT advised their sons to join the Navy.  My Dad had my brother enlist in the Navy also.  He was on the USS Enterprise.  His ship was in the combat zone so when he returned to the States he did not have to finish out his reserve time.  My brother’s hearing isn’t the best these days and he thinks it is from being on the aircraft carrier.  When my brother was stationed in Newport News, VA we went there and we were allowed to go on the ship and see it.  It was amazing.

My husband also had a low draft number in l972 and thank goodness he did not have to go to Vietnam either.

Your and Jeff’s story is really kind of amazing.  I guess it proves that it really is a small world.

My husband and I have moved 8 times since l991.  At the time I started researching my Dad’s WWII day I was living in Atlanta, GA.  It was nice because I was able to go to Toccoa and Ft. Benning.  I did not run or for that matter I did not even walk up the mountain that the men ran up did I drove my car up!!!!!!!!! I guess I am lazy.

Chris Lindner

Nate Rubenstein’s daughter

Marie louise and Joe Spencer

Dear Ben,
Joe and I are very, very sorry to hear about the passing
of Garnet Darymple. She was such a vibrant person!
To Bob, we offer our heartfelt condolences.
We hope you are feeling better and you'll be able to join us in
Palm Springs.
Thank you for working so hard in behalf of the 517th family.
You are a gem!
Marie-Louise Spencer (460th HQ)

Mark Baird

So sorry to hear of Bob Dalrymle's loss of his beloved
wife, Garnet.   Since they live only thirty miles
south of Tucson at Green Valley and I am only thirty
miles north of Tucson, if I had the name of the place
where the memorial is to be held, if in Green Valley,
and it isn't a private service,  I could be an
"unofficial"  representative of the outfit.
Mark Baird

Bob Barrett

Ted Crawford asked:

> Hey Bob, I noticed that casualty list is Page 1 of 2?do we know if page 2 had anything on it?
> I noticed Ed Marconi was WIA.
 Ted Crawford son of Bob Crawford A Company

The answer is that Clark Archer's original did have 2 pages, but I cut and pasted the 2 together into the single page when I posted it to the web site.  --  Bob B.

Morris McDowell

Hey Bob/Ben,
I recently had the privilege of admiring many photos, medals, & artifacts that had belonged to First Sgt. Hobert Wade. He received the Silver Star for his actions in Luzon, & had been in the Army for eleven years before the start of WWII. He served with the Eleventh Airborne in the Pacific. I wonder if any one of the 517 had met or were friends with him. He was from Georgia, near my home. There were 47 enlisted men, & two Officers that made up the Platoon. There is an original Test Platoon Patch, among the valuables, which I had never seen before. I took several pictures, if anyone would have any interest in seeing. Best Regards to the Awesome men of the 517th.

Bob Christie

John Bramswig

Thanks for checking Dan Dinneen.  Your a good man to befriend a paratrooper in need of help.

Regards,

John Bramswig

Merle McMorrow

Ben:

I received a letter from Catherine H. in Paris telling me her father Yvon died.  He had perfume at the Sofitel Hotel for all the women that were on the 1999 trip.

Dear dear Merle. I am so sad to inform you of the death of my wonderful father who was so courageous, never complaining all his life until the last hour. He died from a heart attack who happened suddenly. I send you a big big kiss because I know you will be very sad. Catherine.

Do you remember Bob’s mail address (Damrylple) and other friends of papa I can send this sad new ?