From: Ben517
Sent: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 6:47:11 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1045 517TH PRCT-JANUARY 19, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,
We have in this Mail Call the final episode of  the childhood memories of our Belgian friend, Irma Targnion. We will soon have her complete story on the web site.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Irma Targnion    Part 7

Bonjour Ben, hello to everybody,
Now it is time to follow with my childhood memories. We are now in 1945.
BATTLE OF THE BULGE - the end of the war - first days of Liberty.
American soldiers left us. Just some of them staid in our village. Some people say that it is for the munitions. They are very kind to us and are giving us food, chocolates and chewing-gums. As we lost everything, Marie-Josée is sewing, she makes shirts, dress, pants with all the material people can find. She uses the blankets (khaki) to make coats, capes, mantels, she uses the parachutes to sew for the children and the ladies. It is like a new fashion. For us, the children, there are many new games, we find many things to play with in the trenches. With René (6), Roger (3) and me (4,1/2) we collect the bullets. We knock them on a stone, we open and so we find some kind of pellets. When we have gathered a big pile, we are porrowing some pellets in a line and put the fire. wham ! psiiiitt ! boom... fire. My father surprises us one day and he did not find that very funny. He gets angry and put us in the cellar for 2 hours. I have to say that a few children were killed as they play with guns. Our neighbour Louis (14) and his brother Joseph (12) were killed as they are playing "war", some other boys were wounded with mines, one lost his arm an other became blind, and...;
after that, we were afraid and we tried to be more quiet, we were building huts with all the loss in the fields. In my village, all the men are farmers and the problem is to feed the cows, Everybody is waiting for the spring. During our stay in Prayon, my uncle Joseph of Hierlot and Pierre (the young boy from Brussels) came every day to feed the animals. Pierre was living in Hierlot with my grand-parents and family during our evacuation. In may, after 5 years, my uncle Joseph (my father's brother) came back from Germany where he was prisonner. His 4 children could not recognize him. My mother's brother Léon came back in the same time from a concentration camp in Germany(5 years too). He was captured as a member of the resistance mouvement. He was 29 years old when he came back but he was looking like a man of 70. During the summer 1945, we had many celebrations to welcome the prisonners, we had parades and the ladies sewed american and belgian flags with the material they can find, sometimes with curtains, sometimes they dye the sheets. In fact, all the floats, vehicles and horses, were giving a famous colored procession. In spite of the sorrow and the pains, the people of Ardenne trust in the future and celebrate the freedom with joy and hope.

Dick Seitz

This message for our President, Gene Frice.  In the latest Static Line I noticed there is no 517th page.  Also noticed is that the 517th Mini Reunion,  the West Coast Reunion and the Annual reunion are not listed among the reunions listed.  Have we lost contact with the editor of the Static Line, Don Lassen?  The Static Line is read by a large segment of the airborne community, including the 517th and is a good source of news on airborne units and activities.  Dick Seitz

Floyd Polk

Ben,

 Harris Johnson can get in touch with Dave Barry if he wants to know about Service Company.
Dave Barry was in Service Company, not "D" Company like he claims.

Floyd Polk

Jim Royer

I am forwarding to you a copy of an e-mail from a friend, a member of
the 106 Div.  It concerns the use of the Armed Forces Reunions, inc. The
106 used them for their reunion last year.
It is worth considering. They handle all the details for a nominal cost
per person.
I will be glad to obtain additional information, if you so desire, or
John Schaffner will.
Jim,
If you click on this website it will give you all the details of AFR, Inc.
If you have any specific questions I will be glad to talk about them. This
company has been extremely cooperative with taking care of any little
details that come up. If the hotel doesn't accommodate with something
expected the AFR rep is on the spot and will run it down for you. I can't
say enough about them.
Best, John
P.S. If your current chairman would like to get in touch with me I would be
happy to talk with him.

www.armedforcesreunions.com

Something to think about.- Ben

Bob Christie

Ben, Before I raise Cain with our  Thunderbolt printer and mailer, Has any one received the 4th Quarter Thunderbolt?