From: Ben517
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 2:07 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1046 517TH PRCT--JANUARY 20, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Many have answered saying that they have received the 4th qtr, Thunderbolt. Others say that they have not received it.
Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben:

Jim Royer and several others have raised some interesting issues regarding where we are and where we are going. As we age our physical limitations have their impact. There are several members, such as Boom Boom Alicki, who have been with us for a long time, are limited what they can do physically, yet still contribute. Your mail call has been a godsend for this and various other reasons.

I recognized the concern about future reunions, publication of the Thunderbolt and the work required by officers such as the treasurer. Fortunately, we have thought about these things before 2006.

We cleared a major hurdle when Bill Lewis hit the final drop zone. In the past there have always been good troopers who stepped forward to fill the void. Merle McMorrow took on many of the tasks previously shouldered by Bill. When Merle's term of office came to an end we passed many of his duties to other troopers, including Bob Christie who has done an excellent job of editing the Thunderbolt, has filled the job as our treasurer and has been the main spring in making us welcome at the annual snowbird FL. mini-reunion. Bob is now fighting the good fight and we are with him all the way.

As mention above we are fortunate to have foreseen a time when we would need part of our larger 517th family to assist in keeping the outfit's functions running smoothly. For some time spouses and offspring of the troopers realized that they had gained enough from our association to desire its continuance. That is the reason we formed the auxiliary. That also is the reason Dick Seitz ended his stirring address at Savannah with words such as these, " Now the heritage of this excellent outfit is in your hands."

Let us be smarter in our old age to ask for the assistance of the enthusiastic people in the auxiliary to step up to the plate and take a crack at the ball. We can not know what successes they will have or how long they will find it worthwhile to continue assisting us. But, we know they came from, or married, good fighting stock. To a greater extent each year, our heritage will be in their hands.

We hope they enjoy it as much as we did.

Gene Frice

For General Seitz,
     General, thanks for noting that the most recent Static Line did not contain the page we are accustomed to (the 517th).
     By coincidence, I had spoken to Don Lassen (Static Line) a week or so ago. He had picked up on something I wrote in December to Ben in his outstanding e-mail relating to "517th Christmas 1943-2005." Congratulations Ben; even Don Lassen reads your e-mail.
     At the time of my conversation Don said he was going to publish my letter in his next Static Line as well as the dates of our annual gathering in Portland. From that conversation, I gather the current Static Line had already been published. Of course, during my conversation with Don I did not know of the missing 517th page. Don has said in the past-if I (Don) do not get the material-I can't publish it.
Generally, our crew has done a good job in providing material to Don. I have no explanation for the missing page-I will inquire. Possibly we were Missing in Action.
     General, I agree with your comments in relation to Don Lassen and his efforts with the Static Line. Our good relationship with Don continues to date. We have had words over the years, as have several other 517th members, however we remain friends after the some probable fifty years. He truly is the foundation upon which the fellowship of all airborne units exists today. The Airborne community of all the services is indebted to him.
          Airborne-All the Way Sir
               PFC Gene Frice

Bob Christie

Darrell, The Polks who live about 40 miles northeast of us have received their Thunderbolt as have a number I have heard from. I guess I need more patience, but it is hard when it takes them 7 weeks to mail it after I submit the corrected proof. Bob
Lyn Vickers

yes Ben, i got a thunderbolt just the other day in the mail....

The Widdah Lyn, Cocoa, and Poopin Pepper the Crappin Cajun

Lou and Jessie Darden

Ben, Sorry Jesse did not get an article in this latest Static Line. I will try to keep him on the ball after this. Hopefully he will not miss another. Tell Bob have not received the latest Thunderbolt. LOU & JESSE DARDEN

Harris Johnson

Sir,

I note the mail from Floyd Polk suggesting that I get in touch with Dave Barry on the subject of the Service Company of the 517th.  Would you please send this to Dave E. Barry [located the name on the Christmas 1944 Roster] and pass along to him my email address:  harrisjohnson@triad.rr.com

If he does not have access to a computer I will be glad to send him a letter if provided his address.

My father in law, Lawrence P. Shipp, was a member of the Supply Squadron from Italy until the end.  He appears on the Italian casualty list in June and the Christmas 1944 Roster.  His health is none to good these days.

Many thanks.

Harris Johnson

John Alicki

We have had this in previous Mail Calls, but we still have request for it.-Ben

Gene Frice

Ben (517th) and other great Americans
     I wish the American public had the opportunity (or interest) in reading this report. Rather similar to the current conflict in the middle east. It is far to long for publ in 517th e-mail. If appropriate, possibly as a link?
     Regards and thanks for your continuing battle with the "elements."
     Gene Frice
Robby Scruggs

I know you guys had tough training but this is ridiculous!!!...lol