From: Ben517
Sent: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 6:56:32 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1048 517TH PRCT-JANUARY 28, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I just returned from the Bradenton reunion.. Bob and Mildred have been hosting this mini for several years but this was their last reunion Their reunions have been most successful for several years and appreciated by all. Tentative plans for the next mini in Florida are being consider by Floyd Polk and Bill Webb.

Weather conditions delayed my arrival at  the mini until after midnight. The last six miles were a blast because Claire Giblin, Allan Johnson and Leo Dean met me  at the airport.

We have a new member. Dr. Bruce Broudy, son of Capt. Joe Broudy A Co. He has already made a trip to the battle fields in Europe and is very interested in the 517.We welcome back Bob Sweet.

We will have more information about the Palm Springs and  Portland reunions in future Mail Calls.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon
Harris Johnson

Ben would be good enough to forward the following to Leroy Johnson, Forest Wellman and Susan Clark Scherer or placing it in an upcoming MAIL CALL.  Many thanks.  Harris

Subject:  517th Service Company

My father in law, Lawrence P. Shipp, was in the Service Company, recorded from Italy, where he appears on a WIA casualty report, to the Christmas 1944 Roster.  I think, not sure, he was discharged with a 100% disability.  Larry lives, in bad health, in Virginia Beach.  He does not talk about his experiences with the 517th except in response to a direct question.  Several war time PR efforts by the U S Army in local newspapers were, in Larry?s words, so much Bull!  I have confirmed his reaction from other sources.

I am trying to initiate some sort of narrative of the Service Company that will complement the several narratives of the various other companies of the 517th.  My purpose is three fold:

1.  Locating any written stories of the Service Company that are available.

2.  Developing"reachable" list of men who were part of the Service Company so that a narrative, from the Service Company standpoint, can be pulled together if it is not already available?

3.  Trying to locate anyone who knew Larry so that his grandchildren can get a better sense of his time in the 517th.

I would appreciate any reader giving some thought to these points and, if interested, either sending me information via mail or calling me, collect, at 336?674-0765.  If you have access to a computer my email address is

Thank you.

Harris Johnson
4857 Woody Mill Road
Greensboro NC 27406

Entry of Jan 19, 2006 at 21:36 [EST]
Name: Carol Monkhouse Nash
Unit: MY father George R Monkhouse Company H 517
EMail:
southerncarol_58@ yahoo.com
How I found the 517th page: Other
Comments: all my life i wondered about my dad as he was a career Army man.  but reading your site has helped me understand him more.  i lost dad in 1976.  he was 49 and had been retired 13 years.  he retired a capt.  received 2 purple hearts and oak leaf cluster plus others i don't know.  he was buried with his uniform.  i miss him everyday he is gone. thank you all for your help and mr doty and his pictures of dad he sent to my daughter.  could anyone steer me how to get copies of his medals for great grand children to pass down

Entry of Jan 25, 2006 at 22:58 [EST]
Name: Terry Brennan
Unit: 18th MP Brigade
EMail: keeperdeke@ hotmail.com
How I found the 517th page: From a search engine
Comments: My fathers was in the 517th. His name was Jim Brennan. I believe he fought in the "Bulge" in 1944. If anyone knew of him please email me at the address above. Ps. He was from New Jersey.

Morris McDowell

Ben,
Fred Harmon asked me to send you an e-mail to see if anyone knew how he could contact  two men of 'H' company. Ed Snyder, he lived somewhere in NY. & Claude ( Tinky) Bynum, Fred was not sure where Claude was from. If anyone out there can help, Fred would appreciate it very much. Thanks, Morris McDowell

Lory Curtis

Ben,
     Do you know if there is any tentative agenda for what will take place each day of the Portland reunion.  I am anxious to start making plans to attend.

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, Hq, lst Bn

Lory Curtis

Ben,
     A big thanks to Bob Christie, I just received my Thunderbolt on Saturday, and couldn't put it down until I had read it cover to cover.  I know Bob has been ill so his work on this issue has extra special meaning.  Thank you so much Bob for your dedicated service.  It is truly appreciated.

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, Hq, 1st Bn

Carol Monkhouse Nash

DEAR BEN, THANKS for YOUR INFORMATION.  I Called MR DOTY had a long talk with him about dad.  Dad was 16 when he went in they were right Mr Doty and MR.  Lubic IM sending Mr Doty pics of Dads last jump before he retired.  HE got the purple heart and 2 oakleaf cluster looking at some of his papers and a bronze star from the 517 it says.  i DON'T know if ill get any records as files were destroyed up to 1960 but he retired in 1963.he was 36.I go into the 517 everyday it brings me closer to my Dad I miss him so much.  ITS been 30 yrs he's been gone now 1976.He was 49 when he died .his Birthday is july 4th.he will be 80 if he was alive.  thanks so much Ben for all you did for me and my daughter kim allison.  if you know where i could go to to get duplicates of his medals i would appreciate it an addresses or something.  as a congress man wont help me im in ontaria canada .thanks so much God bless you all.  CAROL MONKHOUSE  NASH
Terry Brennan

Thank you for the picture.  Unfortunately i dont think it was my father in
the picture.  If you hear or see anything please email it to me.  Thank you

Terry Brennan

Carol Monkhouse Nash

DEAR BEN PLEASE ADD ME TO MAIL CALL.  I HAVE CHECKED ALL THOSE SITES OUT BEN.  BEN I SEE DADS NAME UNDER BRONZE STAR WITH CLUSTER LOOKING AT THE PAPERS I HAVE.  DAD GOT EUROPEAN AFRICAN MIDDLE EASTERN THEATER RIBBON W/1silver BATTLESTAR PURPLE HEART MEDAL CO41517pir45!st BRONZE OAK LEAF CLUSTERS then at the bottom of page under remarks it says LAPEL Button ISSUED  GO23HQ52nd 1945 2ND BRONZEOAKLEAFCLUSTERco45HQ5171945 BRONZE SERVICE ARROWHEAD. I take it he got 2 bronze with oak leaf clusters. HIS BATTLES WERE LISTED AS  ROME-ARNO SOUTHERN FRANCE  ARDENNES  RHINELAND   CENTRAL EUROPE .HE WAS WOUNDED IN NOV1944 IN FRANCE JAN 1945 BELGIUM FEB 1945 GERMANY .ITS ALL ON THIS PAPER I DO HAVE 1945  IT SAYS ON THE TOP SHEET ENLISTED RECORD AND REPORT OF SEPARATION HONORABLE DISCHARGE .I HAVE $ OF THEM WITH DIFFERENT DATES AS DAD WAS ACTIVE RESERVE>FOR 20 21 YEARS.  I hope WITH this information you can make sure he is acknowledged for it under your site for MEDALS .IF YOU NEED A COPY OF THIS PAPER LET ME KNOW >THANKING YOU AGAIN BEN >DO YOU KNOW IF MR LUBIC IS STILL ALIVE>DID YOU KNOW MY DAD BEN ? THANKS AGAIN

CAROL MONKHOUSE.