From: Ben517
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 2:16 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1049 517TH PRCT- JANUARY 29, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Now is the time to consider attending the Palm Springs and Portland reunions.
I have in this Mail Call detail plans for the Palm Springs Reunion and will soon have the same for Portland Reunion. Details are always on the web site . Register as soon as possible so that Bill and Gene can finalized plans.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

What a great time was had by all in Bradenton!  As usual, Mildred and Bob Christie put on a fun time and did a great job.  They are great hosts and as I always tell Bob, I'm not comin' unless there are cookies and banana bread involved!  We in the Auxiliary were able to see each other and do some informal talks, as well as draft an update for the Thunderbolt.  We met old friends and made new ones, and it was a wonderful time.

As usual, Ben won the prize for "Worst Travel Story."  Poor Ben was supposed to have been on the ground in Florida by about 1 in the afternoon and didn't get to Bradenton until - well, it was just about the next day.  I seem to remember that Ben was snowed into Boston just a year or two ago...

The Gulf Coast is beautiful, and many of us enjoyed the food at the Seafood Shack, down by the water.   During a daytime coastal trip with Leo Dean, we snapped some pictures of the statue of the famous sailor kissing the nurse (The LIFE magazine photo).  If one turns out well, I'll forward it - it was great, and really a monument to your generation.

It is always great to see the 517 family and we were sad to think that this might be our last Florida mini.  We are thrilled to hear that the Webbs and the Polks are hoping to host in Kissimmee next year, and we will all stay tuned to Mail Call to hear the final verdict.

Hoping for good turnouts in Palm Springs and Portland, and beyond -

Claire Giblin, daughter Allan Johnson, 596

                                                **********

Poor Claire, Allan and Leo picked me up at the airport long after their bedtime.-Ben

Darrell Egner

 The Mini was a great success under trying conditions.  Bob and Mildred Christie did a great job putting it on when he was going through his medical problems and wondering why some people did not receive theirs.  Bob your a real trooper, frankly I don't know how you do it.

It was great to see so many of the ladies jump in and help.  Donna Hilliard and Claire Giblin were always there to help.  It was good to see Ben Barrett come in at the last minute, bruised ribs and all.  Claire, her Dad Allen Johnson and Leo Dean picked Ben up at the airport at midnight.  I understand he spent most of the day waiting in airports and a few hours flying.

I am told that about 45 people showed up and of course Hq, 2nd had the largest group.  Sam Povich kept us entertained with his endless stories and Jack Collins told all of us how to pronounce Savannah.  He calls it Sav-van-anna.  You have to hear this, his only joke.  He brought his Lawyer with him, his Daughter.

All in all we had a great time and the weather was nice and warm.  Thanks Bob and Mildred!  Even though this will be the last Reunion Bob will arrange we voted that he will still bring cookies, my breakfast each morning.

Darrell Egner
Howard Hensleigh

Ben:
    Here is a smiggen of information on Service Company for Harris Johnson.  On the August 15, 1944 airborne invasion of Southern France, the Combat Team was badly scattered.  Third Bn. lit furtherest from the drop zone in the rough terrain east of Callian.  So did Service Company, or most of it.  When I found out where we were and had rounded up most of Hq. 3rd, G, H, and I Companies, we started for Callian.  The highest ranking officers were first lieutenants who took charge of their companies.  Until Capt. McGeever appeared late in the day, Lud Gibbons acted as Bn. Co.  I acted as S-2 to find the way back.  Between where we landed and Callian, we picked up most of Service Company.  They were happy to come along with us.  When we arrived in Callian, I found a man in Service Company who spoke French.  Through his efforts we found a Callian man willing to go along with us as a guide.  The Service Company men made the forced march with us to the drop zone area.  We arrived there late in the afternoon of D plus one.  We went into an attack then on the South end of les Arcs.  The Service Company men split off and started doing what they did best.
    They always gave the Combat Team excellent support.
Howard Hensleigh
Harris Johnson

Hello Ben,

Had a delightful telephone conversation with Forest Wellman this afternoon.  Interestingly he now lives in Greensboro.  We will be in touch again on the Service Company.

Harris

Tom McAvoy

Morris Mcdowell   Hey sport   try if you can to get Fred Harman to get
his experience in the 517  down on paper  before he is unable too???
Fred has excellent recall on so so much that happened, Tom McAvoy
                                           ***********
Tom is correct. Fred Harmon is the Howard Hensleigh of H Co.- Ben

Carol Monkhouse

DEAR BEN JUST WANTED TO SAY I HAD A BEAUTIFUL CONVERSATION WITH FRED HARMON.  WHAT A WONDERFUL MAN .HE TOLD ME STORIES ABOUT DAD.  HE SAID DAD GOT A SILVER STAR IN BERNIEN GERMANY TOO. GUESS IT MUST BE AMONG THE BURNED FILES.  I JUST LOVE THIS SITE YOU WILL NEVER KNOW CAROL MONKHOUSE

517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team

2006 517th PCT
West Coast Party

Dates: April 2-7, 2006

Place: Ramada Resort/Palm Springs, CA

Registration: $50.00 per person
Room: $61.95 + city tax per room (single or double occupancy)

Dates:
April 2nd - Early Registration, Optional
April 3rd - Official Registration - Hospitality suite 331 and 332 10AM to 10PM
April 4th - Barbecue Buffet by pool for troopers and family 11:30AM-1:30PM
April 5th - Social Day - Golfing, Shopping, Follies
April 6th - Men’s Business Meeting 10:AM-11:30AM Conference Room
                    Farewell Banquet - Dinner and Dancing 7:00PM-10:00PM
April 7th - Check out.  Have a safe trip home.

Hospitality Suite open daily in Rooms 331 and 332 10:00AM –10:00PM

Open Bar and Snacks

Ramada Resort
Palm Springs, CA
Phone 1-800-245-6904 in Calif.
1-800-245-6907 outside Calif.
Be sure to mention the 517th PCT

Please make registration check payable to: William T. Christian (Bill)
Mail to: 17422 Parker Drive, Tustin, CA 92780
Questions call: (714) 838-0613

Families and Friends Always Welcome