From: Ben517
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 2:02 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1057 517TH PRCT- FEBRUARY 10, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello ,

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Recent website additions:
more of George Monkhouse
January 2006 - Florida Mini-Reunion photos
George Monkhouse, H Company

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Ben:
    The expressions of sympathy and support of the men of the 517th and their families and the beautiful flowers at the funeral have been such spirit "up-lifters" for Dad, my stepsister Nancy and the rest of the Seitz clan members.  The funeral last Monday was a celebration of Ginny and her life.  Part of her life once she married Dad 26 years ago was the 517th including her attendance at the 40th and 50th reunions in France and her successful efforts to get Dad to write down the important events in his life of which his time with the 517th was very significant.  The Band of Brothers was very much with us and we are so very grateful.  Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
    A very special thank you to you for collecting the sympathy messages which I just read tonight when we returned from Junction City.
    Sincerely,
    Pat Seitz and Alan Greer

Joe Miller

Please extend our deepest sympathy to Gen Dick Seitz on his sad loss.  It is never easy to say goodbye, but the wonderful memories of the many good years that they shared is a big help is accepting the inevitable.  In the years that I saw them at our reunions, it was evident want a wonderful relationship they had.  The reunion in Kansas City was outstanding because of their participation.  Our prayers are with him at this time.  Joe Miller

Karen Reece

Hello Ben,
Please include me in you MailCall email broadcasts. I have not received MailCall for two weeks. I must have been dropped for some reason or other---maybe returned mail because of an overloaded mailbox. I first assumed you were taking an extended vacation after the Florida mini-reunion, but when I still had not received Mail Call, I checked the website and caught up on the missed emails--and much news. Your Mail Call, and the Thunderbolt, are the grapevine and lifeline of the organization. Thank you.
Best regards to you and your family,
Karen Reece (daughter of Ed Henzl, HQ Co., 1st Bat.)
khreece@bellsouth.net

Karen Reece

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I sent out the email, turned off my computer and went to bed, not expecting a reply last night. Gosh, you must stay up a lot later later than I do. Yes, I checked the archives for recent Mail Calls. I didn't want to miss out on any news. I hope you had some good discussions at the Florida mini-reunion.

Best regard,
Karen

Claire Giblin

I thought this entry from the Urban Legends Reference Pages
at snopes.com might interest you:

Saw this and thought of you guys.  Probably too difficult for MailCall,
and not really relevant, but a good read nonetheless.
Sunny and 30 here today - hope all is well up there.  Leo got back on
Wednesday and told us it'd been too windy to jump in the Keys.
Claire

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Photo Gallery (Michael Burghardt)

Lud Gibbons

Hi, Ben
I got this letter from Bill Christian, which I think everyone should have a chance to see.  I would like to be able to scan it but the print is so small that I'm afraid it would be too hard to read so I'm (Marty is) going to
copy it verbatim:

Barney & Lud,  Regarding the discussion of a professional company heading the National reunion I would like to offer a few comments and questions. Since I have been managing the West Coast reunions (successfully, I hope) and have had 20 plus years managing Hollywood TV station parties, I would suggest you ask for more
information from the company.  They have offered a number of references which should give you some idea of their program.  How many were in attendance at each party and what were their ages? What cities were chosen and why? Did they separate the cost of food and drink in their proposal? Do they provide any free drink & snack hours? Do they provide the entertainment and do you have the chance to negotiate the cost?  What non food and drink services do they provide and how is it charged?  How do they bill for misc. items i.e. badges, promotional material, etc.? How are you billed for the company's on site supervision, does that include room
and food?  Is there a cost for insurance and other legal compensations?  Will the 517th be given a total quote and then have to decide how much to charge each person in attendance?  I could think of many other questions however I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to upset perhaps a decision that others on the board wish to
pursue.  The final and most important comments are related to REALITY, we are all over 80 plus, some with physical and monetary disabilities which has to limit the potential on almost a daily basis.  No matter how we seek new members from around the country, both the East and West reunions have usually the SAME people in attendance, perhaps 100+ or -. Should there be a National reunion how many more would attend, assuming these 200 could attend?  I hope this is accepted as fruitful and perhaps helpful in securing a good contract
should there be a board approval.  Thanks and feel free to call.  Bill

Nicolas ARNULF

Hi !

Excuse me for the faults because I do not write very well in English.
My name is Nicolas, I'm 25 years old and I live in L'Escarène (SOUTHERN FRANCE) where there was the troopers of 517 PRCT from August 1944 at the end of November 1944.

My grandmother (born in 1926) also live in l'Escarène, her name is "Marie-Pauline Rostagni" ("MARINETTE") and she lodged paratroopers in his house.

A G.I taken to him this photography, (is name was "Charles" (I think)). <<mémé jeep.jpg>>

This soldier is perhaps always alive?

My grandfather (who married "Marinette" after the war) spoke to me about an officer of the 517 who had photographies on the stick of his Colt and a "Christ" in the liner of his helmet? which were its name and its rank?

I hope that there will be good continuations with my message and I thank you for your attention.

Nicolas ARNULF
31 rue St Sébastien
06440 L'Escarène
FRANCE

Not sure if this is legit. Any former 517 officer recognize "Marinette"?  - Ben