From: Ben517
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 1:53 AM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1061 517TH PRCT--FEBRUARY 16, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello ,

Only 45 days  to sign up for the Palm Springs reunion. Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Bill Christian

Ben trying to keep an update of the troopers attending the Palm Springs reunion, latest to attend Gene Frice and daughters, Bill/Marge Conger and guests,  Bob Dalrymple and of course yourself.  As of this time we have 40 signed attendees, and hoping for more as the time gets closer.  Thanks for your help,    Bill
Michelle Sarver

Hello Ben,

Hope you are doing well.  I continue to look at the 517th website each day!
I realize there are more and more people signing on to the mail call and I
wondered if you would put out a request for more pictures of Company B on
the "Training and WW2 Photos" page.  There is only one specific to Company B
and of course, I still hope for a picture of my Uncle, Sergeant Andrew
Murphy.  Thanks Ben!

Michelle
                                                             **********
Michelle is seeking information about her uncle, Andrew Murphy, the first 517 member KIA. Can you help her? -Ben

Daniel Curtis

Ben Could you please add my Uncles name to the list of Bronze Star recipients. Daniel Leo Ogniewski PFC Co. D KIA 11/04/44. I have the medal hanging in my home as it was presented to me by Congressmen Jack Quinn of New York a few years back. I was just looking at the list and realized that he was not on there. Thank you for all your great work for this unit you guys are truly the best! God Bless
Daniel Curtis nephew of Danny Og Co.D
Boon Boom Alicji
You are bound to love this one. And, if you are not a Senior, you'd wish that you were one.

Speakers on!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the piano on this one. Enjoy.

Click here: Seniors

Dear Ben,

 Hope you are doing well!

I permit myself to revert to you since I would like to be in touch with some vets of C Co. The reason is that I am looking for some guys who knew the Pvt William Evans from C Co. Maybe the Association is still in touch with him / family? Hopefully some troopers from C Co still remember him?

 It would be really kind of you to pass this message. I thank any C Co trooper in advance for the precious help they can bring me in my search. Our worry is to keep the 517th memory alive here in Southern France as well!

 You can reach me at frederic@zeades.com.

 Warm regards,

Frederic from Nice

One more Contents page from Website

Some of these documents are in PDF format, for easier viewing and printing.  To view these, you need to use the free Adobe Reader program, available here:

(PDF*)
Written Histories
1944 - Operation Dragoon After Action Reports (under construction)
1945 - "517 PCT" Book - The "Blue Book"
1945 - "A Record of Company C"
1949 - History of the 13th Airborne
1985 - Paratrooper's Odyssey - A History of the 517th Parachute Combat Team
1985? - Chronicle* (A short chronicle of who, what, where, when by unit)
1988 - 517th PRCT - A Short History from Airborne Quarterly
  includes 460th short history and 596th short history
19?? - Original version of the 460th history as written by Fred Brown
1989 - Autobiography of PFC Howard W. Ruppel, F Co. Part 1, Part 2 (PDF*)
198?, 1989 - Autobiography of Eugene L. Brissey, E Co.
1993 - 'Battling Buzzards' : The Odyssey of the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team 1943-1945 by Gerald Astor; Paperback, Hardcover
2004 - Escapades autobiography by "W.T.W." (William T. Webb)
2004 - From Breckenridge to Bastogne by Merle McMorrow
2005 - WAR - My Story of the 517th, by Jim Mortensen 460th PFAB
2005? - Airborne Invasion of Southern France - Operation Dragoon, 1944
200? - The Schmidt Bergstein Attack - Jan-Feb 1945 by Myrle Travers, F Co.
Oral Histories
Accounts of the 3rd Battalion atttack on Manhay  - 26 Dec 1944
Recorded at the 517th Annual Reunion , Oklahoma City, 04 June 2003
Lud Gibbons, Fred Harmon, John Guthrie, Cecil Doty, John Strojan, Ben Barrett, Bob Vaught

The Hurtgen Forest  Bergstein 1945 - Part1 Part2 Part3 Part4
by Lud Gibbons, 517th (PRCT) from the
DropZone web site

History of the 517th - Lt. Gen. Dick Seitz at the Savannah, GA 517th Reunion
          audio     video
(large file: 16 Mb)
Recorded by Lance Anderson, August, 2005.
Supporting Documents
WWII Campaign Maps
WWII Casualty Reports (under construction)
Prayer of Les Quatre-Bras
???? - "What Can I Say?" poem by Lt. Dick Spencer
1985 - Paratrooper's Odyssey poem by Jack C. Casliglione
2003 - Commemorative drawing (PDF*) provided by the WWII Airborne Demonstration Team at the June 2003 517th Reunion
Historical Archives
1943 - Parachute Training
1943 June 12 - "Prop Blast" Book
1943 - 17th Airborne Division football champs
1943 July 8 - Letter from Camp Toccoa, Pvt. James S. Slaten, B Co
1943 Aug 19 - Letter to Moms
1943 Nov 23 - Postcard from Camp Mackall, Pvt. James S. Slaten, B Co
1943 Dec 4 - "Prop Blast" Book (cover only)
1943 - Christmas card from Camp Mackall
1943 Dec - The Thunderbolt - Lt. Col. J B Andersen and Joe David Brown
1944 Jan - News clippings and paratrooper knife
1944 May 1 - Letter to 596th Wives and Mothers
1944 July 9 - Memorial Service - Italy (includes list of KIAs to date)
1944 August - "TOP SECRET"
1944 October 22 - Thunderbolt newspaper
1944 November 15 - General Orders #22
  Good Conduct Medals and Combat Infantryman's Badge
1944 December 1 - Memorial Service (includes list of KIAs to date)
1944 - December 9-21 - Photo of Soissons in northern France
1944 - Christmas Greetings (includes complete 1944 Team roster)
1944 - Christmas V-Card - blank copy
1944 - Christmas V-Cards from Charles Pugh and Vernon Glenn, 596th
1944 Dec 3 - Liberty Pass front back
1944 Dec 28 - Commendation Letter to 1st Battalion from General M.B. Ridgway
1945 - "517 PCT" Book (the "Blue Book")
1945 - April - News Clippings about the 3rd Bn "Leftovers"
1945 - SSgt Nello Arterburn - Bronze Star Award Citation
1945 May 19 - 517th Victory in Europe Prop Blast (cover only)
1945 May 22 - War Letter Home from Nello Arterburn, G Co.
1945 July 27 - General Order 48 - Awards of Silver an Bronze Stars (PDF*)
 for Dallas, Hughes, Kane, Kleinendorst, Markle, Zygnowicz, Mills, Guy, Hensleigh, Kendrick, and  White
(received from Becky Martinette, daughter of Maurice White)
1945 August 10 - Silver Star for William Thorng
1945 - September 28 - Paratrooper Landing postcard
1945 - "A Record of Company C"
1945 - Capt. James Birder memorial - Notre Dame 1945
1945 - Christmas Dinner - Reg.  HQ - Ft. Bragg
1946 - copy of French Croix de Guerre Citation 247
????  - Paratroopers in gliders - Lt. Athey's story
????  - Melvin E. Biddle Medal of Honor citation
???? - Blood on the Risers - song lyrics on 517 stationery
1953 - Ancient Order of the Mulligan Guards
1976 - Terry Sanford for US President Campaign Brochure reprint
1989 - Keynote Speech by author William B. Breuer
1993 - Letter from Bob Hope
1994 - Postcard - 50th Anniversary of Operation Dragoon
2005 August 15 - Note from President George W. Bush to the August 2005 517th Reunion, Savannah, GA