From: Ben517
Sent: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:36:32 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1063 517TH PRCT-FEBRUARY 21, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello ,

Everyone is welcome to the Palm Springs and Portland reunions. Bill Christian would like to have a lot of "yankees" and "rebels" come to the West Coast Reunion at Palm Springs. Don Fraser is coming from Florida for the April 2 reunion and Leo Dean is coming from New York.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon
Merle McMorrow

Dear Ben:

After Tom Brokaw retired NBC sent over 100 boxes of his material to Dr. William O. Oldson, Director, Institute on World War II and the Human Experience, Department of History, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-2200.

His history students are going through the boxes since many were packed up by NBC and never got to Brokaw.  My letter to Brokaw in 2001 inviting him to our reunion was found in one of the boxes.  That explains why I never received a response.

The Director wrote to me after Tom's letter.  The Florida State University is doing precisely what the Veterans History Project is doing i.e. preserving GI history for use by future generations.  He indicated the FSU would be happy to provide a speaker for future reunions at FSU expense if we are interested. He also said he would take any 517th member who lives in his area out to lunch.  He invited me to stop in the next time I am in Florida.

I told him about Bob's website and your Mail Call.  He wants his computer people to get in touch with Bob to receive permission to set up a link with FSU.

Their website is http://www.fsu.edu/~ww2/ and e-mail ww2@ww2.fsu.edu

Telephone No. 850-664-9033

                                                          Merle

Darrell Egner

Chris

Your Mail Call story about your Dad was very moving.  I wish I could convey my feelings and thoughts half as well as you did.  He had to be a great Dad and without a doubt you are following in his foot steps.

My farther passed on when I was 12 years old so I don't have those wonderful moments to remember.

Bless you,

Darrell Egner
Chris Liddell

   Mr. Barrett,
    Is the white Parka and insulated pants combo the dress for the typical soldier durring The Bulge?  I've always pictured it in my head as a muddy, cold, icy environment and G.I.'s wearing their olive drabs instead of "Snowoflage" :-).   The poster's soldier's dress just surprised me.  Is that what my grandfather would have worn??

   Thanks again for the very kind words and for the special e-mail.  I know that it would have made my Dad AND my Grandfather equally proud.  You are truly a good friend for doing this.

    Keep the faith as well Mr. Barrett.
    Chris (517th "Grandkid's infantry"  The search for knowledge..... ;-))
                                                                   **********
He would have had a "muddy, cold, icy environment" and wearing their olive drabs. - Ben
Daniel Curtis

To Chris Liddell,
Your story was truly inspirational. As son's whom have lost their fathers the scope of their impact on us as son's will live on forever. It has been a true blesing in my life to cherish the memories of my father and has without a doubt made me a greater father to my son. Thank you for sharing your story with all of us.
Daniel Curtis----
Walt Smith

    Ben, having just read the 1062nd email of yours, I am really impressed with 'what thou hath wrought' to paraphrase one inventor's quote, "WHAT HATH GOD WROUGHT?"   The impressive revelation of the origin of this website due to Chris Liddell's request of you and your ensuing request of your son, Bob, to search out information about the 517th.  Due to you and your son, Bob, you have wrought an amazing collection of 517th PRCT memorabilia. Such information is available to all of us and it is available worldwide.  Unfortunately, a few of our brothers haven't taken advantage of this wonderful system.
    Even though I was on line, I was late in becoming aware of the 517th website until Merle McMorrow informed me.  Then I collected a few of the emails and was able to fill in some missing ones for Bob's structured website.  I have been following ever since.  Thanks to you brothers.  I have learned about several brothers in other companies of which I was almost oblivious when I was a green freshly trained trooper!  Great Information!
Walter W Smith HQ1st

Nicholas Arnulf
Hi, I write again in connection with the photography of my grandmother.
The parachutist who took this photography was not an officer.
The officer which I spoke with the "Christ" photography in the "liner" of his helmet is another soldier.
Bye

Ray Hess
Sorry Ben, I was with "F" CO  from 1943 In Toccoa to the day
we were transferred to the 82nd and I don't remember a solder
by that name in "F" Co. You asked me about him before and I
do not recall him or his name

BEST REGARDS

Former S/SGT Ray R. Hess 2nd
Platoon "F" CO.

Entry of Feb 19, 2006 at 19:07 [EST]
Name: Bucky Simmons
Unit:
EMail: bucky@camptoccoareunion.com
How I found the 517th page: unknown
Comments: The Toccoa/Stephens County Historical Society would like to invite you to attend our third annual Camp Toccoa Reunion and Reenactments. Camp Toccoa now made famous by "Band of Brothers" and "Saving Private Ryan" was the birthplace of the 501st, 506th, 511th, and 517th Parachute Infantry Regiments. We will have Veterans, or their families, from all four regiments attend along with Veterans of all conflicts since WWII. The 506th and 501st Vietnam - present day will also have men attend, as well as 101st, 82nd, Rangers, and most other units of the U.S. military.
This year we are expanding the focus for our reunion and reenactments to include all WWII units. Allied, and Axis. We are having great response throughout the U.S. and Europe. There will be onsite camping and display areas for reenactment groups. Every group that attends is invited to take part in the battles. We hope to have several hundred re-enactors take part along with several different military vehicle associations.
There will also be displays and aircraft from today's military. The event will take place at the Toccoa Airport, October 5-8, 2006. If you, or someone you know that might be interested please invite them, along with Veterans of all wars.
We also invite you to tour the New Toccoa/Stephens County Historical Society Museum. The museum is housed in the restored Toccoa train depot where most men who trained at Camp Toccoa first came into town. Also tour the stables used for quarters by first A, then E company of the 506th P.I.R. brought "across the pond" from Aldborne, England, which is located inside the museum.
This has been a $325,000 + dollar project, that is being raised by donations and proceeds from past reunions. We hope everyone who can, will attend the weekend events !
For registration info and agenda of events check on www.camptoccoareunion.com ,or contact me at: Bucky@camptoccoareunion.com
2004 and 2005 Reunion photos on www.camptoccoareunion.com/ past reunion section.
Everyone is invited regardless of military service or just military/history buffs.
Thank You,

Bucky Simmons
Vice President, Toccoa/Stephens County Historical Society
Toccoa, Georgia. United States
www.camptoccoareunion.com