From: Ben517
Sent: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 6:55:04 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1064 517TH PRCT-FEBRUARY 24,2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello ,

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Entry of Feb 24, 2006 at 05:35 [EST]
Name: Patrick Roger Ferrell son of Pvt Roger Ferrelll
Unit: 517th 1st Btl. HQ Co.
EMail:
cmferrell@another.com
How I found the 517th page: From a search engine
Comments: My father was killed in a car accident in St. Louis, our hometown,52years ago in 1954 when I was 6 years so I was never able to ask him "What did you do in the war Dad?". As his military record were lost in the St. Louis Military Personnel Records Office in 1973, I have been slowly piecing together his story through my French mother (a GI War Bride), photographs, and most particularly through your wonderful website. My father actually qualified as Paratrooper at Toccoa in December 1943 with the 511th PIR. (I have his original 511th, 11th Airborne division Paratrooper Qualification Certificate signed BY O.C. Col. Orin Haugen who was KIA in Luzon Jan.'44). From my mother, I recently determined that my father was hurriedly transferred, on an alphabetical basis, to 1st Btl. HQ Co. 517th PRCT in May 1944 just prior to the 517th being shipped off to Italy. By sheer fate therefore my Dad ended up jumping into Southern France, where he met and later married my mother, rather than the Philippines. Thanks to the website, I know for a certainty that my Dad was in the Battle of the Bulge as his name is listed in the 'Christmas Roster 1944' with the 1st Btl. HQ Co. Also I note his name in the Casualty Report where he was taken out of the line, with a whole bunch of other guys, on the 24th December'44 with frostbite/trenchfoot.  He was shipped to England where he very nearly had both feet amputated.  He was in hospital in the UK for months and delayed repatriation to December '45 when he married my mother in Nice. My mother tells me that he constantly suffered with problems with his feet and, had he lived on, he may well have had to have them amputated after all.  (I understand from the regs that frostbite/trenchfoot does not qualify for the Purple Heart despite such injuries being combat related. Is this correct?) Meantime, with the help of our website and the Unit Summary and Campaign Credits and Battle Awards, I am engaged with Vetrecs in obtaining on behalf of my father and his family (three sons and eight grandchildren) all medals and awards due to him in his service from Italy through France and the Ardennes. Following my father's death in '54, my mother, two brothers and I went to Nice where three years later my mother remarried a Scotsman which is how we ended up in Scotland in 1957. I have cousins in St. Louis and maintain close contact.  After nearly 50 years, I have proudly retained my American citizenship, largely in memory of my father. Many, many thanks for this tremendous website for the 517th. I hope that out there, there may be some of my Dad's comrades in arms, both in the 511th when he was training, and in the 517th with whom he was fighting in Europe, who will remember him and get in touch with his family. I check in on the 517th everyday for news of his buddies.  So long for now.

Don Saunders

Ben,     Chris L. Asked about white parka we wore during the Battle of the Bulge. We all had the reversible parkas that were white on one side and khaki on the other. Our pants were our
regular fatigues. I think I still have it.

Don Saunders, 596th Eng.
                                              *****
I don't think any 517 infantry troopers had white parkers. Belgian citizens donated white sheets to some soldiers I believe in the Bastonge area.- Ben

Chris Liddell

  That's how I remember seeing the troops from pics. and footage during the time near the Ardennes. (SP?)  I always thought the "Sheets" where white ponchos.  Learn something new every day huh?  It always sounds to me as if the Belgian people were willing to risk a good bit in order to help the Allied soldiers (especially the Americans) take their country back.  Is this a fairly true assumption?

Thanks for the info Mr. Barrett.
    Chris
Manhay-Information provided by  Clark Archer
DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS OF 27 DEC. 27,1944,MEN OF THE 517TH PARACHUTE COMBAT TEAM DROVE GERMAN SS TROOPS FROM MANHAY. SUCCESS IN THIS BATTLE DOOMED FURTHER GERMAN PENETRATIONS INTO BELGIUM
WE SORROWFULLY LEFT MANY FRIENDS ON THIS BATTLEFIELD. THESE MEN AND THE SACRIFICES OF BELGIAN CITIZENS SHALL NOT BE FORGOTTEN.
MEN OF THE 3/517 PIR KILLED IN THE BATTLE FOR MANHAY
Lt. Floyd A.  Stott                    Pfc Fred Iserman           PFC Clyde Whittington
Sgt Wendell J. Tinger            PFc Paul Rzonca            Pvt Merle Kaminsky
Cpl. Courville Tarpley             PFCShannon Smith       Pvt. John Penn
Pfc. William Eckart                 Pfc. Edward Walsh         Pvt. Frank O. Scott
Pvt. Arthur Sessum                 Pvt. Albert Vasquez        Pvt. Edward Weimer
Pvt. Robert Williams
Rough Translation of a poem from the book  L'OFFENSIVE DES ARDENNES by Eddy Monfort
MANHAY

At All Costs

Where are the worthy GI's running who liberated us,
They have their tanks, the Germans, with their equipment,
Have been driven back.  They seemed powerful,
Invincible soldiers, masters for a very long time.

Each time the return of the occupying forces is precise.
For the veteran of the underground the decision has been made.
Once again, in the Ardennes, there will be vengeance.
Flee people of the maquis, avoid judgment.

Civilians have left, replaced by soldiers.
Speedily, they have been crowded into truck beds.
Since Reims, in the rain, turning points, chaos,
For parachutists, what hell, no planes, no trucks!

They were forewarned...in the winter by the fire.
A surplus of potatoes, bacon, eggs.
The front has been made right.  Manhay is in the middle.
The site can be razed.   Order to leave the area.

The bolt on Fraiture has suddenly been released.
Spreading out toward Manhay, grenadiers and tanks.
Evening descending on the Ardenne obscures
The steel worms spitting their fire bursts

Suddenly, from behind the low clouds , the moon appears,
Unveiling the barrages, a chance for the enemy.
Under a pale halo, appears the reply.

Nine tanks will be destroyed, the snow has betrayed them.
This Christmas Eve, will be the breakthrough.
In the radio silence, for the imposed retreat,
An audacious Panzer, between two Shermans, slips in.
Spreading terror?a feat of great audacity.

The artillery intervenes from Monchenoul to Deux-Rys
In three days the batteries will destroy the dwelling
Through numerous battles, until body to body,
Face to face with the enemy, their fate is sealed.

The region liberated, the village retaken,
The spoils of the sinister building will be counted.
Where have the sheets gone, still so well-folded?
On a slain soldier, is where they will be found.

Friends have left in pursuit of the enemy.
But the heroic Ardenne regains his courage.
The meadows are cleansed and the lodging is rebuilt.
At vespers they tell the tale of this hard, cursed winter.

Today, the village, fixed like a terrace
on the side of the green massif where violent winds brew,
Has found peace, let us hope, forever.
Manhay, her story, her central square: it was well worth the detour.

Manhay "cost what it may".  The alarm has sounded and the order has come  down.
Hold at all costs-"Tenir coute que coute"

                                                     Emile PIRARD
Entry of Feb 23, 2006 at 06:11 [EST]
Name: Patrick Roger Ferrell son of Roger Ferrell
Unit: 517th PRCT 1st Batl.HQ Co.
EMail: cmferrell@another.com
How I found the 517th page: From a search engine
Comments: One of the items that I have from my father's days with the 517th is a shoulder flash, silver bullion on black background with the legend 'PARA 517'. I haven't seen this on the website. does anyone know of it or its origin? So long.