From: Ben517
Sent: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 7:52:16 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1067 517TH PRCT-FEBRUARY 27, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I have sent out information about www.armedforcesreunions.com but have had little reaction except for what is in today's Mail Call from Bill Christian and Jim Royer. Time for planning the 2007 reunion is limited.
Just got mail from John Schaffner.-106th I.D.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Chris Linder
Hi Ben:How are you doing?  I got the Paratroopers Song with the words and music.  Thanks.
Chris Lindner
Gene Frice
Ben,
     Yes, I (Karen and Robin) will be in Palm Springs. Have made resv with Bill and hotel. Will be getting in Sat I think it was.
     The Portland thingabob is pretty well wrapped up-at least for the hotel and the agenda. Still waiting on several venues to determine the cost-so can send it out to all. The agenda is pretty much what I wrote several months ago and again several weeks ago. It still reads: Vancouver Barracks and it's Hudson Bay Fort with visit to adjacent Pierson Field Museum, Baseball game, military trucks and helio (pending). Visit to McMinnville (Spruce Goose), lunch at winery, river float rafting trip, and usual river cruise and several local tours and shopping. It's a nice area and great hotel.
     Should have it all out in several days.
     Hope all are doing great.
          Gene

Gene Frice
Ben,
     Re: Parka's:
     As Tom Cross mentioned-the supply of many individual items was limited. I know of no one in F Co. that received a parka (overcoats only). Further, it is unbelievable to me that (at least F Co) fought the entire war with no sleeping bags other than the frozen blankets that was our normal sleeping gear. Late in the game our "sleeping bags" became two GI blankets sewed together. Totally inadequate!
     I received a parka and sleeping bag upon my assignment to the 1st Allied Airborne Army Pathfinder Detachment. The Detachment also received the patch for the lst Allied Airborne Army. It was not distributed to the 517th, and most members never did see the patch. Our company did not receive the "clickers." that has been described in the past.
     Gene Frice, F Co

Jim Royer
Ben,   What better endorsement of a product or a service then to talk to
a well satisfied customer. The 106 Division has used the services of the
AFR, Inc. for the past several years. A good friend, John Schaffner, a
past president of the 106  has offered to respond to any questions or
inquires concerning the services of the AFR, Inc., especially after last
year when their reunion was first to be at New Orleans during Katrina.
The AFR had to relocate them twice, finally settling in Washington, D.C.
John told me that every thing went very well.
I repeat, once again, I was the only board member who voted against the one year reunions, knowing how much is involved, as we are now finding out. Only four months away from Portland, and we have very little information thus far, and no location for '07.
If there are any skeptics out there concerning using the AFR, Inc. I
invite them to write to John. His e-mail address is:
        pumexim2@cpl.net
    In previous years, the 106 even received a rebate after the reunion.
So fire away, John is listening.
                                         Jim Royer

Bill Christian
Ben,  regarding the contracting of the National Reunion  by a professional company seems to still be under questionable discussion.  I submitted a number of questions and suggestions which should give the board some idea as to the final steps needed to make a final decision. I have a another suggestion which I have also forwarded to Gene for his review. Since there will be two reunions in the near future where probably the majority of troopers who attend these reunions will be the same troopers who would attend a National reunion what better place and time to conduct a discussion and poll to help in making a proper decision.  I think this would be helpful to the board .Thanks Bill
Daniel Curtis

No problem downloading either song Ben. Great addition! Thanks Dan

John Schaffner --106 I. D.

Hi Jim (& Ben),
  Yes, happy to endorse AFR, Inc. Our 106th I.D. Association has used them
for a lot of years, don't remember exactly. When you give them a city and
dates they will do all of the leg work; negotiate with the hotel(s) for the
best rates, set up bus tours to attractions, line up entertainment for a
banquet, etc.  Their fee to the organization is (currently) $5 per
registrant which is included in the registration fee. If one would cancel
within the limit it would only be a forfeiture of the $5. The individual pays
his hotel separate from the registration. The registration includes things
like the meals to be provided by the hotel to the group (banquet,
luncheons), any activities involving cost, like a bus tour or theater show.
All that would be prepaid to AFR.
In the past we have had enough participants to earn some free room-nights.
This varies by hotel and the organization allots them to deserving people
within the organization.. The 106th Association has received free
room-nights and rebates in the past based on participation. AFR negotiates
"kick-backs" from hotels, bus companies, and other providers and when the
group is big enough it can amount to a considerable amount rebated to the
organization. During the years I was involved we had between 300 & 400
participants. Last year New Orleans was scheduled for 28 August and it was
washed out (no pun intended.) AFR offered to relocate and reschedule and we
accepted Arlington, VA for 4-7 Nov. This upset a lot of plans for a lot of
folks but nonetheless we still drew 175. AFR had to scramble. We had just
been to D.C. in 2001 so many were not too enthused about returning there so
soon again. And, of course other plans had been laid.
Any questions feel free. Just don't use the e-mail address as Jim quoted it.
It is  pumexim2@bcpl.net
All the best, John
Bob Piper

Ben, I have been receiving mail calls OK.

Although, as an "honorary 517'er" I only relate
to a relatively small percentage of the traffic

I thoroughly enjoy "kibitzing" the exchanges
so keep me on the receiving end .
I trust this finds you and yours weathering
the cold and looking forward to Spring.

My best airborne regards.

Bob Piper, Old 505 and honorary 517.