From: Ben517
Sent: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 12:11:46 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1070 517TH PRCT--MARCH 3, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

We have several interesting  additions to the website. Click on Recent Website additions below

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Frank Ramos

I have attached some picture cards that my deceased "big brother", Ismael( Mayo) Ramos ( Pvt., 517th PCRT, Company H, 2) had given my sister Lupe. She recently gave them to me to assemble a collection of his memorabilia.

I have transcribed his notes from the back of the cards that he wrote expressing his thoughts about his first jump. I can imagine similar thoughts were shared by his fellow troopers during the first jump experience.  I have given a title to each card that captured his impression.

I hope you all enjoy them.

Note: I sent this to all his grand nephews and nephews (Viet Nam)
                                                ***********8
Click on Paratrooper Training - Fort Benning 1943 or go to the website to see these terrific photos. It tells the story of your first jump in photos.--Ben
Gene Brissey

Gene Brissey
I have read much about those white outfits that some men wore and which most didn't. My experience as follows: We in Company E wore ODs with rare exception.
Don't remember seeing any white outfits as we approached a large forest, Auf der Hardt woods I think. The going was very difficult slogging thru the deep snow with a lot of German guns unloading on us. As we entered the wood under heavy fire the company was spread around. I was following the platoon leader with the third platoon when he stopped us and directed that I remain with the platoon while he went looking for the rest of the company. He never returned and as we waited I heard troops walking a few yards near us. we didn't know who they were so we kept quite for 20 minutes or so. Finally I sent word back that we were moving out. As we walked forward and I fell into a ditch in the snow. Couldn't see a thing so we followed the ditch with my legs guiding us by feeling the banks of the ditch. Finally we caught up with the company just at the break of dawn. Soon word was passed back asking if the third platoon E. Company was back there. If so send them forward. We went forward and some officer directed us to go into the woods to look for Germans. Soon we came face to face with them. We tried to get them to surrender. We had two guys who spoke German. Our request was denied. They made the same request to us. No deal. Someone fired a shot and all hell broke loose as we chased the Germans through the woods and returned to the other troops. We all moved into a holding position and dug in. Now what does this have to do with white outfits? Well, some officer sent for me and offered me a white outfit. I objected because I would be the only one with white. He insisted saying after what you did this morning we don't want to loose you. He made no mention of what I had done. Anyway I wore a white outfit for a few days until we helped capture St. Vith, the last battle of the Bulge.
Gene Brissey

Walt Snith

    Friend Ben, here's my two cents worth of opinion as to the use of:  www.armedforcesreunions.com.
    While there are some brothers older than I am who are more active and energetic than I am, based on my limitations and reluctance to stay active for long, it is my opinion that the use of the management group for reunions is a must for what remains of our time on this earth.  This is said, of course, without considering the new auxiliary which does contain younger more energetic people and their opinion.  Admittedly, I may be low on the totem pole in the area of energetic people of my age.   What ever the decision, we will try to comply.  Look at you, Ben, a man older than I am, yet planning to attend more of the minis and maxis than I am.  Good luck in your poll request.
Walt  Smith

Frank Ramos

I can send you the text for you to play with if you wish. Please advise.

I have some other stuff that I will contribute as I find time to organize it. My older sisters and and brother have given me there memorbilia of Ismael.  I was 7 year old when he came from Germany at house home from the war with another trooper buddy Shiloh Poulter, who I have recently contacted.

The Fresno, CA newspaper printed stories of  impression of WWII by family members.  They published the article I wrote. Would you be interested?

A Major General friend I invited to speak at a 50th Anniversary Commemoration of  WW II event that I organized at Arlington Cemetery spoke about that families also are casualties of war as they lost family members, sweet hearts, husbands, etc. and live on without them.   He reflected during the Viet Nam War when he had to find a family at an family outing on a holiday at a lake in New Mexico to tell the family their son was killed in action. He described the impact of their loss and mourning as profound.  The article kinds relates what I saw as a kid growing up in that era reflecting on my "older brother" a paratrooper coming home and experiencing the news of my older sister losing her husband in the recapture invasion of the Aluetians, the forgotten battle.
John,

I would be honored to add these photos and items to the 517th web site.  I
should have them posted very soon.

Thanks,

Bob Barrett
webmaster@517prct.org