From: Ben517
Sent: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 3:02:22 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1071 517TH PRCT-MARCH 4, 1006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Bob has put on the website the complete memories of Irma Targnion. Irma Targnion's Story.

The Palm Springs reunion is less than a month away. It's getting near  time to sign up.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Dick Seitz

Ben, I was impressed with Gene Brissey's story on the battle for Auf de Hardt Woods.  Gene's description gives you an idea of fighting for this important objective.  Capturing the Woods was important to the capture of St Vith.  Gene and other members of the 2nd Bn did as magnificent job in this very important object. Gene in his remarks made it clear that we didn't have white uniforms in the Battle .  Dick
                                                  ******************
Dick Seitz's 2nd Battalion (517),attached to Triplet's CCA, had helped pave the way to St. Vith--at a terrible cost in killed and wounded. Triplet was forever grateful: "I was, and still am impressed by the quiet courage and capable, uncomplaining performance of Seitz and his crew. "From the time he arrived to fight in the Bulge, Seitz had suffered about 400 casualties  out of a force of 600--329 killed or wounded so  badly they were evacuated --p 425 RIDGWAY'S PARATROOPERS  by Clay Blair---Ben
Nicolas Arnulf
I recently found a photo of one of the members of the 460th PFAB        standing by his 75mm pack howitzer. This photo (at the bottom of page 263) is taken from a book by Michel DE TREZ entitled "First Airborne Task Force".
In fact, this cannon was in a field belonging to my family at L'ESCARENE in the Alpes-Maritimes (South-Eastern France). According to what my late grandfather (Joseph Arnulf : 1923-2004) told me, there where two cannons in this field and the first U.S soldier to be killed at l'Escarčne was one of the servers to the cannons.
Is there anyone who could identify the soldier on the photo as well as the battery to which he belonged ? If that was the case, maybe that would enable me to find the name of the soldier who was killed between the months of september and october 1944.
Your help would be very much appreciated since my intention is to have a commemorative plaque erected for this soldier.
Sincerely,
Nicolas Arnulf (25 year old)
Chris Liddell
   Wow Mr.Barrett!  I didn't know that I would dig up so much info. from the members by asking if the white parka on the poster that was posted on Mail Call a few weeks ago was "part of the actual uniform in the Bulge"  but I've definitely enjoyed reading the info..   Since my Grandfather didn't finish his training @ Ft. Benning and shipped to Belgium until January 3rd (I think) of '44, he probably didn't get a fancy parka because the few people that you found who remembered him, said that he had a hard time with the cold temps being an "Alabama boy". :-)

   Anyway, thanks for the input from the members who took some interest in the subject.  It's always a pleasure reading the Mail Calls.

      Also, thanks to all of you for the kind words about my "Christmas Memory" that was read at my father's memorial service last month. (actually, in January so the month before last) It's been an EXTREMELY tough loss for me because my Dad and I had such a close relationship and your e-mails and posts REALLY meant a lot to me. Thanks again from the bottom of my heart.

      Sincerely,
      Chris Liddell (Official 517th Grandson) ;-)

Boyd Ellis
Hi Ben  This is Boyd Ellis, First i want to say thanks for all you and your son have done  on the 517th website, you have given so many so much pleasure, for so long...  I wish you both good health and may GOD BLESS YOU both.......now,  I saw the 1943 photo that Ray Hess submitted and saw my brothers picture, which i will send to all of my family.. I tried to send Ray a thank you note at MSN, but it cane back undeliverable, could you and would you send me,  if you have one,  an address for Ray?...Thanks, don't mean to bother you, but have no one else to ask.........GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS... Boyd Ellis
Phil McSpadden

Hi Ben...I've a problem I'd like  some input from any lawyer, ex-lawyer, would-be lawyer, guardhouse lawyer, or advocates of 'truth in advertising'.

You see, I live in The Villages, FL, a retirement community of over 57,000 retirees and growing.  It advertises itself as 'the friendliest town in the world', and I've just found out this is not entirely true!

You see, last Saturday, my hot water tank developed a leak and was flooding my yard with hot water.  It being Saturday, and the tank still under warranty, it would be mid-week before I could get a replacement.

Now, all of you guys from the 517th know how we stole flea infested straw for our 'beds' in Italy, went for weeks without a bath or change of clothes in the Bulge, realize just how important a shower, especially a HOT  shower is to us.  Well, I was smart enough to take a quick hot shower before they turned the water off.

I went to a Singles dance that night, and I must have danced with a   dozen or so  different ladies.  I told each one of them my tale of  woe, and asked if they would take me home with them....just so I could have a hot shower in the morning, mind you......and NOT ONE, repeat, NOT ONE, of them took me up on my request.  Now, is that being friendly?  I think not!!!

So my question is to all those addressed, do I have a  case to sue The Villages for false advertising???

Thanks for putting this out to all the 'experts'!

Phil McSpadden (tongue in cheek, of course!!!)
                                           **********
Phil, In the army there was a two word answer for you.--Ben
Entry of Feb 28, 2006 at 14:58 [EST]
Name: Robert E. Perdue, Jr.
Unit: F/506, WW II
EMail: rperdu6720@comcast.net
How I found the 517th page: From a search engine
Comments: I am compiling a history of OSS Operations Group II that served behind lines in Greece in 1944. Some later joined 517 PIR. Would like to hear from anyone who remembers any of these men: Apostolopoulos, Brady, Kontouris, Kypriotes, Philippides, Moshopoulos, Zonas, Lenares, Sembrakis, Theodorou, Alexatos, Frangas,Kaleyias, Markidis, Marthiakes, Orkulas, Palans, Skiriotis and Taflambas. All were Greeks or Greek-American and spoke fluent Greek.

Merle McMorrow

 Dear Ben:

Mardy and I are all for future reunions being handled by those that are making a business of staging such events.  I think many recognized for some time that this day was always approaching.

                                                    Merle