From: Ben517
Sent: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 9:24:38 AM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1080 517TH PRCT- MARCH 18, 2006 PART A

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I have been having a problem getting this Mail Call sent. I have cut out mail from our Eric and Michel at the LU MUY museum. I will try to sent it out in a separate Mail Call.

Ben

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                     www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

West Coast Reunion 2006
Palm Springs, Ca. April 2-7

Annual reunion July 17-22, 2006
Portland , Oregon

Jim Royer

Ben,   How very sorry to be informed of Floyd Polk's passing. Our
prayers and sympathy go to his wife and family.  I met Floyd at one of
our first reunions. I believe it was in San Antonio, Texas, and at our
annual Fla. reunions.  Upon leaving Fla, we always went up North to
Umatilla to visit dear friends of ours. Floyd always gave us several
bags of oranges to take with us for an assisted living facility, owned
by my friend's daughter and son-in-0law. Later my friend became a
resident of the home. The cook would cut up the oranges and serve them
to the residents at breakfast and lunch.  What a true and wonderful
friend he was. I will miss him very much.
                                         Jim Royer

Gene Brissey

Gene Brissey,
Mail Call 1078 Brought sad news. The loss of Fritz Coffman, whom I did not know, Orville Stubbs a close friend in Company E, Floyd Polk, a 2nd Bn. friend who I came to know quite well at reunions, will make our reunions less enjoyable, to say the least. Orville was probably with us when we liberated Sospel. I know Floyd was and he lost a leg during that mission as I recall. I received a slight wound which is not worth mentioning in the same paragraph in which we mention, Floyd. My deepest sympathy goes to the families of these men.
Gene
Gene Brissey

Another item in Mail Call 1078, which I did not want to mention in the same paragraph as the one about the loss of our friends, pertains to the "crickets." We had them but we used them very little because we feared that the Germans may hear them and go cricket hunting.
Gene

                          Camp Toccoa WWII / Airborne Reunion. Oct 12-15, 2006.

The Toccoa/Stephens County Historical Society would like to invite you to attend our third annual Camp Toccoa Reunion and Reenactments. Camp Toccoa now made famous by "Band of Brothers" and "Saving Private Ryan" was the birthplace of the 501st, 506th, 511th, and 517th Parachute Infantry Regiments. We will have Veterans, or their families, from all four regiments attend along with Veterans of all conflicts since WWII. The 506th and 501st Vietnam - present day will also have men attend, as well as 101st, 82nd, Rangers, and most other units of the U.S. military.
This year we are expanding the focus for our reunion and reenactments to include all WWII units. Allied, and Axis. We are having great response throughout the U.S. and Europe. There will be onsite camping and display areas for reenactment groups.  Every group that attends is invited to take part in the battles. We hope to have several hundred re-enactors take part along with several different military vehicle associations.
There will also be displays and aircraft from today's military. The event will take place at the Toccoa Airport, October 12-15, 2006.   If you, or someone you know that might be interested please invite them, along with Veterans of all wars.
We also invite you to tour the New Toccoa/Stephens County Historical Society Museum. The museum is housed in the restored Toccoa train depot where most men who trained at Camp Toccoa first came into town. Also tour the stables used for quarters by first A, then E company of the 506th P.I.R  brought "across the pond" from Aldborne England, which is located inside the museum.
This has been a $325,000 + dollar project, that is being raised by donations and proceeds from past reunions.  We hope everyone who can, will attend the weekend events !
For registration info and agenda of events check on www.camptoccoareunion.com ,or contact me at: Bucky@camptoccoareunion.com
2004 and 2005 Reunion photos on www.camptoccoareunion.com/ past reunion section.

Everyone is invited regardless of military service or just military/history buffs.
Thank You,

Bucky Simmons
Vice President, Toccoa/Stephens County Historical Society
Toccoa, Georgia. United States