From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2006 11:11 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1102 517TH PRCT- April 30, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello

We have lost another member of H Co. Bob Barnes has notified me of the passing of Harold Fulton. He was a good friend and active in 517 reunions, He will be missed.

Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

Bob Barnes

Hi Ben,
    Just received word this morning  from Cicely and Karen that Harold Fulton from H Company passed away  yesterday (29th)
from a heart attack.
    As per his wishes,  his body will go to a Medical Center for research, with no obituarry or funeral services.
    Hope things are going well with you.

                                                                                                                           Bob
Scott Atkinson

Ben,

Thanks a bunch.  I have sent them an email to let them know of our travel plans.

Yes, I have read most of those two books but it has been awhile back.  I plan to review them again before our trip.

For those of us trying to become more familiar with the combat history of the 517th, it would be helpful if a trip plan could be made available for those interested in making the trips to Italy, France & Germany to see the places where the 517th served.  Listings of areas, cities, museums, roads, hotels, inns, restaurants, time required to visit, etc., would all be helpful.  I know at this point I have no real idea of these and unsure how to plan my trip.

I'm not sure we have the time to visit Belgium on this trip.  Perhaps in 2007 as I will be back in Europe during that summer.

Thanks again for your help.

Scott

T. Scott Atkinson
Scott Atkinson

Patricia and Roland Orengo (Sospel)
Robert Cohen
Michel Soldi and Eric Renoux (Le Muy)

Ben Barrett, of the 517th, gave me your names and email addresses.

I am going to be visiting France soon.  My grandson, Rusty Tobola, and I will arrive in Nice on June 26 and will be staying at the Aria Hotel at 15 Avenue Auber for two nights.  We will arrive about noon at our hotel.  Our thinking was to visit Monte-Carlo that afternoon.  On the 27th, we have scheduled a Hop-On Hop Off tour of the City of Nice but should have some time open in the afternoon/evening.

On the 28th of June, we will be checking out of our hotel and picking up a rental car at 10:30.  From there we wanted to visit Sospel and the Le Muy area and maybe even some other close areas in which the 517th served.  We only have a couple of days to spend in that area and then must get on the road towards Normandy.  Any guidance you can give us about which roads to take and the best routes would be most helpful.

We would be glad to meet you and hopefully receive some key tips about traveling in Southern France as we have never traveled by auto in a European country before.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Thomas Scott Atkinson
Nephew of Erwin W. Scott, Jr. (Company D, 517th PRCT).
Terry Casey (Capt. James Birder's sister )

Ben,
I'm sending you some attachments of pictures of my brother, James P. Birder
(KIA,1945) from Company I. They were taken in Nice, sometime in November,
1944. The last one I believe was from either their time at Fort Benning or
maybe Camp MacKall (I'm not sure exactly where he was) before the unit
shipped over seas, I believe. It would be helpful to me if someone could
identify  for me the others in these pictures.

It has taken me sometime to send these as I only recently found myself with
a scanner for my computer and am now trying to figure out how to use it.
Hope the website can benefit from what I am sending. I'd really like to find
out if others from Company I can identify the other officers in the
pictures.

Ben, I haven't forgotten what you personally have done to keep the 517th
memory alive with your website. It is truly remarkable.

Fondly,
Terry Casey (Capt. James P. Birder's sister)