From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:45 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1005 517TH PRCT-MAY 4, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,
I had a phone conversation with Brian Joyce yesterday and will meet with him tomorrow. He is  a history buff and has visited Southern France and has met our friends at the Le Muy museum. He is very much interested in the 517, which is an  unusual fact in this part of the country. Any information that you can
give him will be appreciated.

We have heard from Jeanne Davis about the reunion. Please help the reunion committee by registering soon. My registration is in the mail.

Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

Jeanne Davis

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the correspondence regarding the reunion in Portland.  The registrations are coming in ..........maybe not as fast and furious as we would like, but, coming in. So far, these are the registrations that I have received.

Leo Dean              Patrick Edwards             Lud Gibbons & Marty Donahoo

Barbara Jeffus & Gary Willmart                   Bob & Katie Rust

William MacRae & dt'r Karen Mahlide           Charles & Vera Derbin

Richard, Lillian & son Lowell Kachalsky          Harold & Jeanne Roberts

John & son John Knopf                  Joe & Sue Sliakis             Robert & Kathy Hart

Bruce & Liz Broudy          Severin (Swed) Erickson        Thomas & Anna Mc Avoy

Jack & Florence Cason .

To this list can be added lots of  Frices and Davises.

These are the people who have sent checks for registration fees and money for the tours they wish to go on.

I have just checked with the hotel and there are 35 rooms reserved so far.  The RV question at the hotel.......  There is RV parking on the west side closest to the freeway. However, you are not able to stay in the RV while its parked there.  If there is an over-flow from that area, or you need to stay in your RV, there is an RV park on the island near the hotel.

On the subject of roommates........... I've misplaced the name of the lady that wished to be paired up with a roommate.  I have another lady that would also like a roommate.   So can you send out a notice so that the lady can contact me?  And then I can get them in touch with each other.

Please have people contact me for anyone with special needs.  The 517th Auxiliary will be working on a plan to help people with a need, such as help on and off buses, help getting up or going to bed, or maybe a ride to Portland if someone is on someone else's way......... or just about anything (unfortunately, nothing financial).  We want everyone to be able to attend even if they have a special need.

That's all there is to report right now.  Except, get you registrations in early!!

Regards,

Jeanne Davis

Edith Miller

Brian E. Joyce--42 Westover St, West Roxbury, MA  02132--phone 617-325-0527.  EMail--BEJ7274@aol.com

Joe Miller received a letter  from him asking for any experiences of WWII.  I haven't done it yet, but may send him several framed medals etc that Joe has--hope to have my son photograph them to see what he would like -- and send them on Email.  Joe is in long term care -- just recovering now from a bacterial infection of the colon so has been in isolation for a week.  Considering it all, his spirits remain quite positive.  I had lunch yesterday with Don Malarkey -- one of the "Band of Brothers" that Stephen Ambrose wrote about.  He is in really good health -- lives in Salem, OR.  Best wishes to you all -- Edith Miller
Dan Smith

 Ben,

          Brian Joyce's telephone is (617) 325-0527 . He sounds legitimate . Brian said he is a second generation fireman, a history buff, and not a professional author.  He knows about 517th plans to revisit Southern France in 07, is signed up to take jump training with the reenactment group, and perform with them this June in Normandy.

                                                                                                   Toujours,

                                                                                                    Dan Smith
                                                                                                    Hqs 1st 517.
Jean- Loup Gassend

Dear Ben, I would like to ask a question to the veterans of the 517th and particularly to Howard
Hensleigh.
Do you by any chance remember a quartermaster in the 517th, who's name was James, and who liked drinking a bit to much. A local french citizen who new him well and remembers him would like to know what his family name may have been and maybe see a picture of him.
Apparently he was quite a personality, and was responsible for supplies going to a large part of the
517th. If no one remembers him, could somebody tell me what company he was probably in, and what his rank would have been? I suspect Sergeant, in the HQ company??

Thanks a lot
Jean-Loup Gassend

Brian Joyce

Hi Sir,

I just emailed you from my yahoo account before checking my AOL mail. I printed out direction to your home and along with the pictures I should have no problem finding it. I am looking forward to Friday and if you would like me to bring anything, coffee, etc, please don't hesitate to ask. Take care.

Brian

Hi Sir,

As discussed, please add me to the Mail Call list. I will see you Friday at 1PM. Thank you very much for adding me and inviting me to meet you. I look forward to it. Take care.

Brian Joyce
Brett Stadler

Hi Ben, Greetings from Virginia,

Just wanted to touch base with you and let you know I'm still reading every mail call and still appreciate this work that you do.  I'm sure there are lots of relatives such as myself who may not write in frequently but benefit greatly from this connection to our veteran family members who have passed on.

I recently read an email from Nace Cohen who was a 2nd Battalion member attached to S2 and wondered if you might have an email address for him.

I'm still a practicing physician in Central VA and miss practicing in the Navy in part because I was able to meet so many veterans and help take care of them.  I hope you are doing well and look forward to attending another reunion with my Dad in the future.

With warm regards,
Brett Stadler
Brett is the son of Tom and grandson of Burton Stadler Hq, 2nd Bn. Any information concerning Burton who was a pathfinder would be greatly appreciated by Tom and Brett.  - Ben