From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:46 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1108 517TH PRCT-MAY 7,2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I believe that someone has  inquired about a 517 trip to Europe in 2007. I do not know of any such plans.

Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

Recent website additions:
Capt. James P. Birder, I Co.
More from Herbert Downs and friends, H Co.
Irma Targnion's Story

Tom McAvoy

I knew Sgt Jim Pease of Regt. Hdq .Co. (Communication Section very well)
No way in the world could this be  the guy your looking for??  Jim has
been afflicted with Alzheimer's disease for some time and doesn't know or
remember anyone (according to his wife) (if he is still living) Last
time I heard from her was at least 30 years ago??  Tom McAvoy

Jerry Markle

Hello Ben,
It was a pleasure to meet you in Palm Springs last April.
My mom, Elaine Markle called yesterday and informed me that she had received a call from Cicely Fulton about  her husband, Harold Fulton, another member of the 517th (unit unknown). Mr Fulton, of Wall, NJ  passed away on April 29,2006 of a heart attack.
Sincerely,
Gerald (Jerry) Markle

Boom Boom Alicki

Hello Mr. Alicki,
I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciated the
book and your autograph. I have read it and enjoyed
it. I have two sons who will live a better life
because of what you, my dad and anyone who put on a
uniform did  to defend our country. I am sorry for
getting the e-mail to you so long after receiving it,
but i wanted to read your book first. I am glad that
you made it though the mock tower incident. Thank you
again and God Bless.

Best Regards,
Rick Vasquez

Son of Nacho Vasquez
Headquarters 3rd Battalion Heavy Mortars

Don Gentry

Hello Shawn, Don Gentry here. Are you a daughter or son?

Will try to help you find more info but need more input from your dad's Form 53 Enlisted Record and Report of Separation. Any chance you could scan and send my way? If not, will need the entries in the military history area, blocks 22 through 41 please.

There should also be an Honorable Discharge Certificate that will show name, service number, rank and the company and unit discharged from at separation.

Regarding the reference to the 82nd, in my file I have a page from the 82nd AA Div. which shows the following attachment periods:

517th Prcht Inf (Non-Div)                1 Jan 45 - 11 Jan 45

517th Prcht Inf (-2d Bn) (Non-Div)    23 Jan 45 - 26 Jan 45

517th Prcht Inf (-3d Bn) (Non-Div)    3 Feb 45 - 5 Feb 45

517th Prcht Inf (-3d Bn) (Non-Div)    9 Feb 45 - 10 Feb 45

Regarding the 17th Airborne patch the 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment was originally part of that Division but became an independent Combat Team at some point, sort of like a small division within itself with the addition of the 460th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion and the 596th Parachute Engineer Battalion. My cousin Dick Baysinger, B Company, wore this patch on his uniform.

The 517th RCT was attached to the 30th Division from 17 December 44 - 20 Jan 45 less the period shown above. I'm glad that we can gain this much information out of the chaos the breach in our lines caused.

The 517th was assigned to the 13 Airborne Division  on 1 March 1945. I believe the Combat Team was more or less a thing of the past after that. The organization chart shows the 460th PFA Bn  assigned to the 13th Division but the 596th Para Eng do not show up in the 13th, 17th,, 82nd or 101st Airborne Divisions on that date. My data source for this is the "Organic Composition of Airborne Divisions" from the internet on July 2002 search.

Be sure to go through the web site   http://517prct.org/
517th Parachute Infantry Home Page

I hope my information is useful and accurate. It should be close.

I looked through the Christmas 1944 list and did not see your dad's name. I may have overlooked him or he may have been assigned after that document as many were. It is just a quick check in the units time line and a handy reference.

Looking forward to your response.

Don Gentry
MSG US Army (Ret)
Entry of May 06, 2006 at 12:33 [EST]

Bucky Simmons

Comments: Currahee Military Weekend Oct 12-15, 2006 The Toccoa/Stephens County Historical Society invites you to attend our third annual Camp Toccoa Reunion and Reenactment Events. Camp Toccoa, now made famous by Band of Brothers, was the birthplace of the 501st, 506th, 507th, 511th, and 517th Parachute Infantry Regiments as well as the 460th Arty Battalion, and 596th Combat Engineers (Airborne). We will have Veterans, or their families, from all these regiments attending, along with Veterans of all conflicts since WWII. The 501st, 506th and 507th Vietnam - present day will also have members attending, as well as from the 101st, 82nd, Rangers, and most other units of the U.S. military.

This year we are expanding our focus for the reunion and reenactments to include all WWII units, both Allied and Axis. There has been great response throughout the U.S. and Europe. We hope to have several hundred re-enactors take part along with several different military vehicle associations. There will also be displays and aircraft from today’s military. The event will take place at the Toccoa Airport, October 12-15, 2006.

One of the Weekend events will be the dedication of the new Currahee Military Museum which is housed in the restored Toccoa train depot, the debarkation point for most of those men who trained here. Tour the stables used for quarters by first A, then E company of the 506th P.I.R brought "across the pond" from Aldbourne England. This $325,000+ ongoing project is being paid for with donations and proceeds from reunions. During the Currahee Military Weekend we will dedicate the Currahee Military Museum to honor all of our Veterans.

Those interested may participate in the Currahee Challenge Road Race, the "three miles up and three miles down" we saw in Band of Brothers.

This year I am sending invitations to all Military Academies and many military colleges urging them to send a class/corps of cadets to the Currahee Military Weekend. We have lost so many veterans in the last few years, this may be the last opportunity to meet and talk with living heroes.

Our invitation is extended to everyone: veterans, active duty personnel, military buffs, history buffs and each and every American who wishes to show their pride in out Veterans. If you know of others who may be interested, please pass along our invitation to them.

Photos of 2004, and 2005 reunion and Information. www.camptoccoareunion.com

Bucky Simmons
Vice President, Toccoa/Stephens County Historical Society
Toccoa, Georgia. United States