From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 10:10 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1111 517TH PRCT- MAY 15, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

We are still interested in collecting voluntary contributions to enable our European friend to attend the Portland reunion.

Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

Lud Gibbons

Ben~~
Received a phone call from Yoko, Jack Dunaway's friend, informing me that Jack had passed away on May 6th.
I phoned Jack's son Michael, who told me that Jack was in the hospital for 5 or 6 days with various ailments
before passing at age 91.
His family is having a remembrance get together on Saturday May 20th from 3:00 to 5:00 at:
                                                 2737 Edwin Place
                                                Los Angeles, CA 90046
We are going and any of his friends who wish to attend are welcome.
Lud

Gene Frice

Ben,
     Likely too long for publication as is? How about publishing just the initial “Greeting” thingabob and the rest as a link? How are you-I am back (again).
     Gene
               -------------------------------------
Ben,
     To Ben and all of the 517th Family

     Greetings from Southern France
     Our French friends-Visitors
     517th Portland Reunion-July 06
     Supporting visitors and the Thunderbolt funding

     Our French Friends
:

     I bring you “Greetings from the South of France,”  and I hope all  mothers and non-mothers had a Happy Mothers Day.

     Strange incidents do occur. I had business on the “Promenade des Anglais,” in Nice. You recall the location, it is where years ago the wealthy English gentlemen and their ladies would Promenade with their parasols, big hats, and long gloves. Much later, on infrequent occasions, the 517th and our fellow military comrades would also Promenade, seeking “Rest and Recuperation (read Rehabilitation)” on the same locale.

     At any rate, last week with the finish of business, I visited Le Muy and met with our two friends Jean Michael and Eric, of the Musee de la Liberation.

     They intend to be at the Portland reunion, however several problems exist:

     1.  I took the responsibility of advising them the 517th would provide lodging at the Red Lion during their visit. As Helen Beddow stated at one time-”all participants to the reunion will register.” This of course means other expenses will arise. I must point out again, the two young gentlemen and our other friends in France and Belgium are, in part, prime elements contributing to the continuing existence of the spirit of the 517th.

     2.  They mentioned difficulty with the governmental agencies granting visa’s to enter the US. Not that the US does not have it’s full ration of visitors; legal and illegal-we need to assist our friends in obtaining the necessary approval of which ever government that may present the problem-I assume it is the Immigration or the State Dept. I recommend that a
brief letter be forwarded to our friends in the form of “To Whom it May Concern,” and they in turn may present them to the respective officials. Initially, the letters should come from myself and Gen. Seitz. Time is critical
.

The 517th Portland Reunion, July 17-22, 2006
:

     Your 517th Reunion staff-Troopers and Auxiliary have been working like beavers in developing an outstanding program-one which all will enjoy.

     I will not dwell on steamboat trips, visits to the Spruce Goose, inspecting the wineries and drinking their vintage wine, or business meetings, etc.

     I would like to mention one day in the planning schedule. The day has been briefly (possibly too briefly) described as
Day in the Park
. The day is not designed to merely sit in the sun and drink beer (although I am sure that some will fall to the evil of sin in doing so).

     The day will be spent in Vancouver, Washington, immediately across the River from our hotel, the “Red Lion on the River.” The site is a 1862 Hudson Bay Company (HBC), and the U.S. Army Post, Vancouver Barracks of similar age. The site continues this day, as it did in 1862, with military encampments and the re-enactors who man the posts-including the villagers at the HBC. Their tours are disabled friendly. The US Army utilizes the Post to this day and the “officers quarters” remain as beautifully maintained park and buildings of that period. A nice place.

     Time does not allow a detailed description of our gathering with US Army involvement with music, helicopters (Troopers only), visit to WW2 museum, US Army Rangers jumping into our site, our traditional BBQ; and a challenge of the boy and girl youth of the 517th Auxiliary and whatever we can put together for the aged troopers in an ancient so called sport “Baseball.” The White Water Rafting Trip is still scheduled for those courageous individuals who desire to join us in to combating rapids; or a organized, with guides, trip for those that merely desire a calm and smooth drift, in the sun, down river. We have done this many, many times. However, watch out for our River Pirates who want to eat our lunch.

     Time is running out. We need your reservations ASAP, as does the Red Lion Hotel. Our ability to meet all the planning requirement is based upon your early reservations. Make choices of the events you desire as your
planning committee and the hotel needs to know
. A cut off date for reservations is June 17, 2006;  30 days prior to the event

The Thunderbolt:

The 517th’s ability to meet our financial obligations is based only upon your individual financial support in the form of dues or contribution. The reunions, the Thunderbolt, lodging support of visitors, and most other functions are paid by contributions or personal payment for scheduled events. IRS restrictions and therefore, the 517th By Laws, do not allow use of organizational funds for such events.

     Bob Christie is making heroic endeavors to keep the Thunderbolt alive - it is a necessity to keep the 517th
together
. The cost is approximately twelve dollars per person/per publication. For many years the 517th operated with no dues. Last year the Board of Directors recommended a $ 30.00 a year dues to assist in alleviating our financial problem. Further, Bob Christie, necessarily imposed a 517th rule, ”if you do not contribute-you will not receive the Thunderbolt.” Also, multiple receipt of the publication to the same address has been curtailed. I guess all of the above goes with the cost of fuel...a sign of the times.

     God Bless all and see you in Portland in July.

     Gene Frice, President