From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:45 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1112 517TH PRCT-MAY 17, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I have in this Mail Call email from Colleen ( armedforcesreunions.com.) an idea about future reunions including 2007. Many members considering time of  next reunion (2007 )  and age of members agree with me  that it is best for us to get professional help. I would like to get your thoughts on this matter before we get to Portland when a decision will be made.

 I have  receive notice about the accidental death of James Spears, the son of Donald Spears F. Co..
We have been receiving many farewells of members lately. Any volunteers for Chaplin duties for Mail Call?

Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

Colleen Briley  ( www.armedforcesreunions.com. )

Good morning, Mr. Barrett.  I may need to reiterate some items we have discussed previously.  Speaking of which, I went back into my notes to review our discussion and wanted to share the following with you:  In an effort to address all of your questions, as well as your colleagues, I have the following to share with you.  First & foremost, it seems the age of your group, mobility, and attendance to the reunion seems to be a concern.  We handle over 80 reunions annually nationwide with attendees ranging from their 40's up to their 90's, and anywhere from 100 persons up to 2000 persons in attendance.  Yes, we have seen a drop in attendance of the older groups of the actual service member, however, we have also seen an increase in the number of families now attending these reunions, especially those reunions occurring in Washington D.C.  With that being said, we have made some changes with regard to how our company services our distinguished veterans groups with lower numbers of attendees.  To address your colleagues concerns, I'd like to offer you three different ways in which AFR can get involved.

Option 1 - We will negotiate a hotel contract and that's it.  You would then be on your on with the rest of the reunion.  Of course, we would offer the services of the tour company that we partner with, and they would commission AFR.  Otherwise, you are free to select whatever vendor you choose.  There would obviously be no registration fee involved here.  Our only compensation for getting the best hotel contract for you would be the commission paid directly to us from the hotel based on your number of room nights.

Option 2 - We negotiate the hotel contract, put you in touch suggest a tour vendor (which would commission AFR), and have a nominal registration fee.  AFR would do all the hotel function planning, make up the registration form for you to put into the newsletter & on our website, receive the registration forms, and make up the registration packets with nametags, meal tickets, and program and ship them to the hotel for a member of your outfit to pass out.  After the 30 day cutoff we would send all the funds by check to you and you would be responsible for hotel meal guarantees (using our registration report numbers and adding any on-site registrations at the hotel) and paying the hotel master account.  AFR would have no on-site representation.

Option 3 - This is where we do all of the tour planning, book entertainment groups if needed, handle all of the registrations and database work, make the registration packets to also include an attendance roster, laser printed nametag, staff the registration desk at the hotel and oversee the group meals.  The registration fee would be $10 plus $2 for each group meal function.  AFR would handle the meal guarantees and pay the hotel master account.

Mr. Barrett, if you anticipate your attendance to be over 100 rooms per night, Option 3 will best suit your needs to ensure a successful & enjoyable reunion for all.  However, the choice is yours to make.   As for sending our information kits to your VP & President, I will get those out to them in the mail for review.  As stated previously, we have undergone many changes here at AFR just in the past few months, to include a brand new website, www.armedforcesreunions.com.  This new site gives groups various abilities to include advertising their reunion & subsequently registering for the reunion online.

As for your question regarding a chairman, basically it is a representative of the group, such as your President or assigned Reunion Chairman, that would be the person we work with on the contract for a particular hotel, as well as our services contract.  Many times a Reunion Chairman works with us to get all the details nailed down, but it is the President of the group that signs the contracts, etc.  Either way, the Chairman's role is dependent on the level of service we provide to your group (note the "options" above).

As for coming to your upcoming reunion to discuss our services, if I could present the material myself to your membership, I would be most pleased to do so.  However, due to the costs of travel, etc., it would greatly affect our pricing for our reunion groups, and we try our best to keep our fees to a minimum so many can attend their reunion.  If you have any questions whatsoever, please do feel free to email or call me.

We certainly welcome the opportunity of serving you and your membership in ensuring a most successful & enjoyable reunion for all.

Cordially,

Colleen

Darrell Egner

Ben

It was great talking to you on the phone today.  Sure happy to hear the flooding in your area isn't having a direct effect on you.  I called regarding Brian Joyce writing a book about the Paratroops.  As you are getting together with him tomorrow please let me know the outcome.

For several months I have debated (in my mind) the Thunderbolt's lack of funds.  I am glad I kept my mouth shut as I apparently didn't know the full story.  After reading Gene Frice' piece in Mail Call #1111 that throws a new light on the problem if I understand what he said.  What I understood him to say is we can't use funds from the treasury to publish the Thunderbolt.  For years I have given extra money to the 517 over and above the $30 dues.  If my memory serves me right only about 10% of the members contribute to the 517.  With this said I would recommend the following.

If $30 dues is more then some people can afford I can understand that.  If it would strain some people then don't pay dues.  But the Thunderbolt is a different ball game.  I would suggest that Bob Christie publish a notice in the next issue stating that issue would the last one they would receive unless each of us send $12 marked just for the Thunderbolt.  I can't believe this would hurt any ones pocketbook.  Even though I am on the Internet I can't wait to receive the Thunderbolt and I read it cover to cover.

I'm sure some of you will not appreciate my comments but if it will save a wonderful publication so be it.

Darrell Egner
The By- Laws ( 517th Association By-Laws 2006)say nothing about not using funds from  the treasury- Ben
Jolene Devaney

Ben, I just want you to know that if it wasn’t for you and your son putting the 517th’ website together I would never have made contact with Claire and her Dad.  Hence, I would never have know the details and stories of my Uncle’s time in the service.  For the family members that are still with us it has meant so much to them.  Your time and efforts are appreciated so much by my family and all others that have made that very important connection.

Sincerely,

Jolene