From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:06 PM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1113 517TH PRCT-MAY 17, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

We are still interested in collecting voluntary contributions to enable our European friend to attend the Portland reunion.

Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

Walt Smith

Ben, dear friend, I just did a fast and brief scan of Colleen Briley  ( www.armedforcesreunions.com. ) information.  Your request for input on choice is of primary importance.  Surely time is drawing short for decisions.  It is my considered opinion that you are on the only practical track and that is to give serious thought to the AFR services.  consider this an email proxy vote.  vote your heart and pencil me in as a yes.
Walter W Smith, HQ 1st..............
    PS on another subject, Portland.  I am in the indecisive state due to many other factors not the least of which I need to decide whether to go for a back operation due to intermitent pains of walking.  ;I do not believe I will go for Portland this time, As much as I would love to see one of the two states I haven't been .   WWWS

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Ben:  Alan and I echo Jolene's comments.  Thank you for everything that you do.
    Sincerely, Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
Jim Royer

Ben,  A very excellent  message from Colleen, AFR, Inc.. Something to
consider at your reunion in Portland. I regret very much that we will not
be able to attend this year due  to the celebration of our 60th wedding
anniversary and June's travel restrictions. We were planning to go to
Ireland (June's mother's family was from there), instead we have decided
on a five-day cruise, out of Baltimore, to Bermuda. At this stage in
life, that is our limit.
   Darrell Egner has a very good suggestion:  $30 voluntary dues, or for
those with financial limitations, $12 for the Thunderbolt. I do not
understand the statement that 517th funds cannot go towards the
Thunderbolt. I though all funds are for the good of the association. The
treasurer just sets up different accounts within the journal/ledger.
Over my life span, I have served as treasurer for at least four
different organization, covering approximately 45 years.
  To all, have a great time in Portland, we will be thinking of you out
there in the great and wild West.
                                   Jim Royer

Bib Dalrymple

Ben: You pretty well know my position on getting professionals to run our reunions . But to refresh your ( and my ) memory , I lean toward using the pros . However , we should have more solid info to help us make a decision when we hear what Bill Christian has learned from his more detailed pursuit of costs, etc . Bob

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben:  I will send this reply cc to Jean-Loup but thought it might have some interest to others.  One sad note is that Elsworth Harger is no longer with us.  Fortunately, Jan and I were on the same floor with the Hargers at Savanah so we were able to rekindle our G Co memories there.

When I think of St. Cezaire, I think of a trio of mountain top villages in that area--Callian, the first town the majority of the 3rd Bn., Service Company and a British parachute unit went through just after parachuting into France, 0430 hrs. 15 Aug 44, Montereau, where Doc Plassman took care of our jump casualties in a small medical "hospital" until several days after the les Arcs attack, when Longo and I got them out  in a 141st Infantry ambulance, and St. Cezaire which the 3rd Bn. took later in our push toward Grasse.

After our attack on les Arcs on D plus 1, Lt. Col. Zais asked me to act as 3rd Bn. S-2, as John Neiler had gone to regiment to replace Capt. Dearing who was injured on the jump.  While our Bn. Hq. was in Callian, the S-2 job was made official by Major Paxton who took over from Zais who became Regimental Combat Team Executive Officer.  We planned to attack from Callian northeast on to Grasse.  It was my job to determine where the enemy was in our path.  I foolishly set off to do this on my own, as a one man partoll.  I learned that there were 400 Germans in St. Cezaire, and by the grace of God was missed by inches by a burst of German machine gun fire in the process.  We attacked St Cezaire the next day and had completely taken the town by the morning after that.  G Co. either did most of the work, or my familiarity with its members from having been in it, makes me remember their casualties more clearly.  Lt. Dick Spencer, a G Co. platoon leader, took a mortar fragment on the chin.  Pfc's Hector Colo, Jesse Goswick, and Charles F. Stanford, and Pvt. John A. Staat were killed in the attack.

If Jean-Loup wishes to be in touch, here is the information.  First, he must remember I have WWII ears, but will do my best.  Phone # (904) 270-8797.

Boom Boom Alicki

Darrell Egner

Ben

You requested information in Mail Call #1112 regarding the members feelings on using AFR for all future National Reunions.  I also agree that this matter should come up for a vote at the Portland Reunion.  Due to prior commitments I will be unable to attend.

I am 100% for using AFR for all future Reunions and I would suggest using Option 3.  It's to much to expect two people like Helen and Hal to work two years to put the excellent Savannah Reunion on.

Darrell Egner

IT MAY BE LATER THAN YOU THINK

Concentrate on the four dots in the middle of  the picture for about 30 seconds.
Then close your eyes and tilt your head back.
Keep them closed. You will see a circle of light, continue looking at the circle
What do you see?