From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 11:44 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1119 517TH PRCT-MAY 24,2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

We have in the past settled the questions about use of the cricket and white jackets and now I think we have enough information to put the curiosity about the arm band to rest.

The World War II Honor Roll
 Now searchable by Unit

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

Entry of Jun 16, 2005 at 20:26 [EST]
Name: Jo
Unit:
EMail: Devaney@ allvantage.com
How I found the 517th page: From a search engine
Comments: Hi Everyone, My Uncle, Patrick Leroy Michaels was in the 596th Engineer Company, 517 Parachute Regiment. Unfortunately he was killed at 19 so I really don't have a lot of information to go on. The story goes he was killed in an automobile crash. If anyone can supply me with information I would appreciate it very much. Thank you all for your dedicated service to our country. Sincerely, Jo
                                                   **************
Jolene Devaney  contributed the above to our Guest book about a year ago. Allan Johnson 596 contacted Jolene and this past  week visited her and on Friday.  Jolene, Allan Johnson and daughter Claire Giblin  made a sojourn to my new home. Jolene Devaney lives within ten miles of my place.- Ben

Mark Baird

Ben,    It is my considered opinion that the armband
is the American flags we given just before the jump
in So.  France.  I  cut the white off the ends,  sewed
in on and then camouflaged it....       Still have
it.... As well as the map we were issued..
Mark Baird
                                                       *********
After further examination of the photo, I believe it was the armband with the American flag. This can clearly be seen on the soldiers in the front row. The photo was in black and white and the colors did not show well. - Ben

Jean Michel & Eric, Airborne museum >LeMuy France

Hi Ben, Hi Bob,
Here is a photo of a paratrooper in south France, as you will see he is wearing the regular arm band flag given to each paratroopers in Italy few days before the invasion. the stars and stripes are on the side of the arm. So if the arm band flag turn around the arm (and I think that many things turn around and around when you jump out of a plane !..) it possible that you see the white side of it. Many paratroopers didn't like it, and the security pin pull on the jacket so they decide to cut the band, and during the long hours waiting to load in Italy they stitch it on their jacket. On the airborne task force secret document, the staff decide that only the flag have to be worn in operation, no regiments or divisions patches like in normandy. (If my knowledges are good...
warmest regards to all of you .. and hope to see you in Portland if our passports and visa are ready, back from Paris. Many many tanks to all our friends who sent us a letter supporting what we are doing to perpetuate the memory of the 517th, and motivate the government to let's us go !...
Jean Michel & Eric, Airborne museum Le MUY France

Bob Hart

Ben, The armband shown was issued to everyone for Southern France jump. Has an American flag on it. I still have mine. Bob Hart  Co. D