From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:33 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1122 517TH PRCT- MAY 30, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

Barney Hekkala

> This is truly an awesome piece of music, and more so because it was
> written, composed and sung by a pair of USNA grads. How the hell did they end up in the music business? I strongly suggest you take the time to listen to it by clicking on the Internet link below.
>
> Bierstock, 58, and John Melnick, 54, of Pompano Beach - a member of
> Bierstock's band, have written a song: the mournful "Before You Go" does
> more than salute those who fought in WWII.  It encourages people to go out
> of their way to thank the aging warriors before they die.
>"If we had lost that particular war, our whole way of life would have been
> shot," says Bierstock, who plays harmonica.  "Every ethnic minority would be
> dead.  And the soldiers are now dying at the rate of about 2,000 every day.
> I thought we needed to thank them."
>
> The song is striking a chord.  Within four days of Bierstock placing it on
> the Web, the song and accompanying photo essay have bounced around nine countries, producing tears and heartfelt thanks from veterans, their sons
> and daughters and grandchildren.
>
> Bierstock and Melnick thought about shipping it off to a professional
> singer, but because time was running out for so many veterans, they decided it was best to release it quickly, for free, on the Web.
>They've sent the song to Sen. John McCain and others in Washington.
> Already they have been invited to perform it in Houston for a Veterans Day
> tribute - this after just a few days on the Web.  They hope every veteran in America gets a chance to hear it.
>
> Now, here is the link ...
>
> http://www.managedmusic.com/beforeyougo.html
> <http://www.managedmusic.com/beforeyougo.html
Shliea Goodman Schultz

Dear Ben

I want to thank you and all the men of the 517th.  My father was in Service Co. and I have not written for awhile but I get your newsletters.  I want to say a special Thank You to my Father Howard B. Goodman who passed in 1974 and all the others whether they are with us in body or spirit.  Bless all of you.

I have a special admiration for you Ben for taking the time to make the newsletter to keep everyone up to date.

Sheila Goodman Shultz

Mark Baird

Ben,     Please than Chris Lindner for the Memorial
slide show. .  It can in loud and clear !!
Mark Baird

Alysa  F  Burkman

I would like to be added to the mail call list.  I am quite interested in the site as I am trying to learn more about my grandfather (Gilbert Burkman) who was with the 517th.  He passed 20 years ago this December.  He actually passed while I was in basic training so I was never able to question him about his Army days.   I was acutally hoping that I could learn more from this site or maybe post a note to see if anyone remembers him.  He is listed on the Christmas 1944 list on the Service Co (2).  His service has always been an inspiration to me.
Thank you and I would be honored to be added to your mailcall list.
MSG Alysa F Burkman
US Army
Timothy D  Williams

I had the honor of sounding Taps for those who have gone before us many times this Memorial weekend.  I am the bugler for the combined American Legion/VFW honor guard here in Ellsworth, Maine.  My uncle was SSgt Kenneth E. Miller, HQ Co. 2nd Batt., he was from Summit Hill, PA.  As part of my own family's memorial is a list of the departed and KIA of the units of my relatives including the 517th. As I sounded those calls this year I reflected at length on the contributions of "The Greatest Generation."  I am still amazed, after reading the unit's accounts and the stories from all of you on this forum, at the sacrifices ALL of you have made and of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.  I am determined that your stories, your achievements, your sacrifice shall always be remembered and honored.

I am very much looking forward to meeting some of you at a reunion soon.  Are there any members here in the northeast?

Again, thank you all for what you have given me and this country.

Timothy D. Williams
CTA1(SS/SW) USN Retired
Adjutant, Post #63 American Legion
Bugler, Post #109 VFW
twilliams@mainecf.org

Jesse Darden

I just returned from Texas and caught up on all of the a-mail the one from Dick Seitz. hit the nail on the head  wish all could have read it   Got one of my Grand sons out of Hi. School  Three more to go ??????. Wish me luck down the road of life ..... Jesse Darden  H
Jeanne Davis

Hi Ben.......here is the current list of registrants. And also a description of the Evergreen Air Museum tour. Other tour descriptions to follow.

Edward Athey, son-in-law Mike Black
Kay (Jonientz) Bowman
Ben Barrett
Richard Baysinger
Bruce/Liz Broudy
Jack/Veta Cason
Bud Curtis 2 sons Tim & Lory
Albert/Louise Chestnut 2 children Cookie Millwood & Judie Edwards
Robert Dalrymple
Gerald/Bettye Davis
Leo Dean
Charles/Vera Derbin
Bill/Alyce Edwards
Patrick Edwards (son)
Keith Edwards (son)
Swed Erickson
Don Gentry (cousin of Richard Baysinger)
Lub Gibbons/Marty
Robert/Kathy Hart
Willia/Gloria Hudson
B.R. Hutcheson (friend of 517th)
Barbar Jeffus/Gary Willmart
Virginia Jorden
Richard Kachalsky/son Lowell
Robert/Mickey Kennedy & Sandra
John Knopf/son John
Bernard/ Joan KcKeon
WilliamAnna McAvoy
Les /Betty Perkins
Harold/Jeanne Roberts
Robert/Katie Rust
Joe/Sue Sliakis
Marvin/Rickie Tetrick children David Tetric & Donna Gollihur
Myrle/Betty Traver
Guy/Dixie Wellborn

Evergreen Air Museum featuring the "Spruce Goose" & SR-71 Blackbird
Tuesday, July 18, 2000
9:00am - 3:30pm

     Imagine a plane so large, a Boeing 747 looks small or an aircraft flying 400miles in 10  minutes.  Ever heard of a Russian Photon Space Capsule? You'll be amazed what you'll find in McMinnville, Oregon.  The HK-1 or Hughes Flying boat, built by Howard Hughes, now commonly tagged the "Spruce Goose" is the centerpiece of this aircraft museum built on a "dream to fly". The "flying lumberyard" has endured to become a popular cultural artifact telling a story of sacrifice, determination, and technological development.  The HK-1, still the biggest aircraft ever built, was decades ahead of its time in the early 1940's.  The SR-71A Blackbird, a 2-seater developed as a spy plane during the height of the cold war has a skin made entirely of titanium  It had no need for armament because it was then and is still now capable of outrunning a cannon and missile fire.  Even though the design is now 40 years old, it's still the fastest know airplane in existence!  A Russian what?  A Russian Photon Space Capsule.  Its mission: conduct tests under microgravity conditions.  Imagine what you'll find in McMinnville, Oregon!  Next, visit Rex Hill Vineyards, home of excellent Pinnot varietals.  Other offerings include Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and White Riesling.  this is a particularly beautiful winery with terraced gardens displaying colorful flowers.

This tour is approximately 6 1/2 hours in length and include motorcoach transportation, admissions to attractions as described, wine tasting fees, lunch at the Spruce Goose Cafe' and the services of a Raz Transportation narrating tour manager.

Driver & guide gratuities are not included in this price.
Departs:     9:00am   Red Lion - Jantzen Beach
Returns:     3:30pm   Red Lion - Jantzen Beach