From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 10:20 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1125 517TH PRCT-JUNE 2, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

     As of June 1st           517th Portland Reunion  July 17-21, 2006

17               Days left to close of Hotel Registration - June 17th
                              Prices for the 517th Registration of  $ 88 or $ 99 daily  rate cannot be
                                   guaranteed after the above date.

46                Days until Reunion D-Day - July 17th

                              Please submit your choice of the various events at the earliest
                              date as we must make plans for number of participants

Gene Frice, President and the valiant Portland Planning Committee

Tom Stadler

HI BEN
THE OPENING AND CLOSING STATEMENTS IN THIS BRONZE STAR CITATION ARE IRRELEVANT SO I HAVE OMITTED THEM.
THE ACTION OF THE 2/BN PATHFINDER TEAM ON 8/15/44 COINCIDES WITH THE REPORT IN YESTERDAY'S MAIL CALL.
IT MAY BE OF INTEREST TO SOME.

HEAVILY LADEN WITH AMMUNITION AND EQUIPMENT, PRIVATE FIRST CLASS STADLER, AS A MEMBER OF A PATHFINDER TEAM, PARACHUTED INTO SOUTHERN FRANCE IN ADVANCE OF THE MAIN AIRBORNE INVASION FORCE. THEIR MISSION WAS TO MARK DROP ZONES AND LANDING AREAS FOR INCOMING PARACHUTE AND GLIDER UNITS. WHILE MOVING TOWARD THEIR DESIGNATED DROP ZONE, THREE MILES DISTANT, PRIVATE FIRST CLASS STADLER AND HIS COMRADES WERE ATTACKED BY AN ENEMY COMPANY. THE OUTNUMBERED GROUP WITHDREW TO A WOODED AREA FROM WHICH IT RETURNED THE FIRE, INFLICTING HEAVY CASUALTIES AND COMPELLING THE ENEMY TO WITHDRAW. DURING THIS ACTION ONE OF THE GROUP WAS KILLED. PUSHING ON, STADLER AND HIS COMRADES AMBUSHED A GERMAN PATROL AND KILLED ALL FIVE OF IT'S MEMBERS. ON REACHING THE DROP ZONE, (NEAR LEMUY) THE GROUP MARKED THE AREA AND SET UP RADAR EQUIPMENT, ENABLING THE MAIN INVASION FORCE TO LAND SAFELY.

THREE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE TEAM WERE RALPH DEGILIO, BUEL PUTNAM JR. AND THE O.I.C., 1ST LT. JOHN WEDDLE OF E CO.
THIS ACTION TOOK UP THE ENTIRE A:M. THE TEAM REACHED THEIR OBJECTIVE IN THE EARLY P:M

Gene Frice

 CHRISTMAS AT ARLINGTON CEMETERY

Arlington National Cemetery <http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/>

 Rest easy, sleep well my brothers.
 Know the line has held, your job is done.
  Rest easy, sleep well.
  Others have taken up where you fell, the line has held.
  Peace, peace, and farewell...

Readers may be interested to know that these wreaths -- some 5,000 -- are donated by the Worcester Wreath Co. of Harrington, Maine. The owner, Merrill Worcester, not only provides the wreaths, but covers the trucking expense as well. He's done this since 1992. A wonderful guy. Also, most years, groups of Maine school kids combine an educational trip to DC with this event to help out. Making this even more remarkable is the fact that Harrington is in one the poorest parts of the state.

Lory Curtis

  ATTORNEY'S ADVICE -- NO CHARGE
Read  this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to it
someday. Maybe we should all take some of his advice!

A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company.

  1.  The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of
first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook, they
will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first
name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

2.  Do not sign the back of your credit cards.   Instead, put "PHOTO ID
REQUIRED".

3 When you are writing checks to  pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT
put the complete account number on  the "For" line. Instead, just put the
last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and
anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check
processing channels won't have access to it.

4. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you
have a P.O. Box, use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a
P.O. B ox, use your work address. Never have your SS#  printed on your
checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed,
anyone can get it.
  5. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides
of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet
and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep
the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when
travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud
that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number,
credit cards.

Unfortunately I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was
stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly
cell phone package,  applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line
approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change
my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical
information to limit the da mage in case this happens to you or someon e you
know:

1. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards  immediately. But the
key is having the toll free numbers and your card  numbers handy so you know
whom to call.  Keep those where you can find them.

2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where  your credit
cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent,
and this is a first step toward an investigation (if  there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to
do this.)

3. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a
fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of
doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for
credit was made over t he Internet in my name. The alert means any company
that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to
cont act you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all
the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks
initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before
placing the alert.  Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the
thieves threw my wallet away. This weekend (someone turned it in).
It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet,
etc., has been stolen:
1.) Equifax:  1-800-525-6285
2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
3.) Trans  Union: 1-800-680-7289
4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line):  1-800-269-0271