From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 6:53 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1227 1127 5117TH PRCT- JUNE 5, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

     As of June 5th           517th Portland Reunion  July 17-21, 2006

14               Days left to close of Hotel Registration - June 17th
                              Prices for the 517th Registration of  $ 88 or $ 99 daily  rate cannot be guaranteed after the above date.

43                Days until Reunion D-Day - July 17th

                              Please submit your choice of the various events at the earlies date as we must make plans for number of participants

Gene Frice, President and the valiant Portland Planning Committee

 Michael Carrilo

Dear Ben, please keep my mother in your prayers. Just this past Saturday Andrea Carrillo, Beavers wife, suffered a stroke that affected her left side and her speech. They have done MRI’s and have had a speech therapist to see her. She is a on a blood thinner in hopes of breaking up a blood clot. I will keep you informed. Traveling is out of the question at this point.

Michael S. Carrillo

Riverside Community College

951) 222-8122

Harris Johnson

Good morning, Wayne Cross is apparently one man with access to information on the Service Company of the 517th.  Is there any way I can get in touch with him with questions about the Company and it's EM Larry P.Shipp?  After a stay at the VA Hospital near Norfolk Larry has returned home but remains in very poor health.

Thank you.

Harris Johnson
Larry's son in law

Lory Curtis

Ben,
     Did the entire 517th leave from Orbettallo Field, Italy for the
jump into Southern France??
Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st Bn
                                              ***************
180 C-47 Aircraft departed from airfields at Ombrone, Obetello, Nontalto and Canino - Ben

Tom McAvoy

Thanks for the info on Browning  Louis,  You just mentioned  Godfrey.
Is this the same guy that was in S-2  in Toccoa?  I see from our roster
that there is a Godfrey in North Carolina but he refuses to answer my
inquires, apparently not the same guy that I refer too.  See you in
Portland.  Suppose to decide tomorrow if I am to loose my left  eye.
Tom McAvoy

Jay Sutcliffe

Thanks Mr. Barrett,

I had a nice conversation with Mr. Kennamer Friday, a really nice man.  It’s amazing how congenial all the troopers that I’ve contacted have been.  No wonder the 517 was so successful.  Mr. Kennamer told me, him and my father were, I think he said with the 508, in Africa as pathfinders.  They were shipped to Italy and began fighting with the 508 when 33 of them were transferred to the 517.  I don’t know why they were transferred or how the 33 were selected.  I remembered last year that Bill Chaney Jr, had a similar story about his father that I read in your mail call.  Mr. Kennamer told me he remembered Mr. Chaney, and he also mentioned Haskell Reeves, who by the way has his arm around my Dad in one of the photos that I sent in and is now posted on the website.  I had sent the photo to Mr. Kennamer for him to identify those in it.

 I thought Mr. Kennamer said that he was receiving Mail call, but I could be wrong.  He gave me his e-mail address, but I must have copied it wrong.  I had it returned.  I will call him again and pass it on to you.  I thought he said speedyno@cox.net

 Thanks again

Jay

Wayne Cross
                                                Dragoon

Record of Events
Headquarters 1st Battalion

 The 1st Bn., enplaned at Campino Airfield, thirty miles North East of Rome, Italy, at 0030 hours, 15 August 1944.  The planes took off at 0200 hours and after circling the field for assembly purposes, headed North West for Southern France.  The intended drop zone was in a flat area about one mile West of La Motte, France and the mission of the Bn. less A Co., was to be in Regimental Reserve in the vicinity of Chateau St. Rosseline.  From the time all sticks jumped until about 1400 on "D" plus three, the activities of the Bn., must be recorded in terms of smaller units in view of the fact that assembly of the Bn was not completed until the above mentioned hour and dates.

 At H Hour Hq. Co., 1st Bn. jumped and landed in scattered areas in the vicinity of Trans-en-Provence.  Darkness and a low lying fog obscured all land marks.  A temporary CP was established and searching parties were sent out for men and equipment.  At day light the Co., location was definitely established.  The Co. then consisted of the LMG and Rocket-Launched sections, a few 81mm Mortar men and five men from Co., Hq.  Enroute a few riflemen from "A" Co., joined the organization as did the remainder of the 81mm platoon.  A few hundred yards West of the assembly area, the Co., was fired on by automatic weapons.  The enemy were driven out and the Co., moved into the assembly area.  Road blocks were set up with LMG’s and Rocket-Launchers and the area was out posted by mortarmen.  At the cross road South of the assembly area, a German barracks housing about a squad of men was located.  After a short fire fight, four were captured, two killed and two wounded.  In the immediate area, a heavy water cooled German machine gun, a small field piece, a few automatic weapons, a large store of grenades and a supply of gasoline were located.  The machine gun, field piece and gasoline were destroyed, during the attack section Pvt. Lynch was severely burned.  At about 0740 hours, two platoons of Co. A under command of Lt. Reith joined the organization.  At 0750 hours, the elements of Hq. Co. 1st Bn and Co. "A" moved out toward the Bn. objective.  Along the prescribed route, a small German patrol was encountered and after an exchange of shots the unit continued its advance across Highway #7 and started to ascend to its objective.  At this time, a German truck and trailer loaded with demolitions drove out of the woods and parked near a small bridge.  Machine gun and rifle fire was placed on the truck and its occupants and they jumped in a ditch across the road.  Lt. Krause and five men moved forward but they were pinned down by enemy fire.  Sgt. Ford who was with Lt. Krause, was shot in the leg.  As more fire was placed on a civilian truck which had pulled up along side.  Both trucks were utilized to a road block, thus completing one phase of the Co.’s mission.  The Co. then reorganized, consolidated positions on top of the hill and prepared to defend.

 Later, two cars and motorcycle came down the road from the West.  As they slowed down on sighting.  The road block, a patrol led by Lt. Reardon knocked out one car and a motorcycle and the LMG team at the road block knocked out the other car.
D Day paused without further event with the exception of small clashes with snipers in the surrounding area.

 On "D" plus one approximately a Bn. of Germans moved up to a line North West of the railroad, West of the Co. position.  The 480th FFA Forward Observant called for fire and halted in advance.  Co. 81mm were laid behind the enemy and when they took cover from the artillery, the mortars routed them out.  A great number of casualties were inflicted and the advance was completely halted.  Fire was placed on this position periodically throughout the day until the 3rd Bn. moved up and pushed forward thru the enemy positions.  A heavy concentration of 4.2 mortars and 75’s preceded the 3rd Bn. and this joined with the small arms fire of the 3rd Bn. cleared out all the enemy in that area.  "D" plus two uneventful and on the morning of "D" plus three the Co. moved down toward Highway #7 and moved East to join the Bn.  The Bn. was enroute to Buget-sur-Argens.

EARLE H. EMLY
Capt., 517th Prcht. Inf.
Commanding
                                            To be continued