From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:24 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1129 517TH PRCT- JUNE 7, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

   As of June 1st           517th Portland Reunion  July 17-21, 2006

18               Days left to close of Hotel Registration - June 17th
                              Prices for the 517th Registration of  $ 88 or $ 99 daily  rate cannot be
                                   guaranteed after the above date.

47                Days until Reunion D-Day - July 17th

                              Please submit your choice of the various events at the earliest
                              date as we must make plans for number of participants

Gene Frice, President and the valiant Portland Planning Committee

jean Michel & Eric Airborne Museum Le MUY

dear Ben,
all the reports are from Wayne  Cross are so interesting, we were yesterday at the museum for the French TV talking about your great unit, and  took  this photo of the Drop Zone North west of Le Muy where many paratroopers of the 517th landed.. The place didn't change, the vineyard still there, and the rocky mountain was the C drop zone, where Bob Dalrymple and his platoon landed with the 509th..
 for the vets not able to come back we can make all the photos you want in the area..
warmest regards, see you all in Portland..
JM & E

Entry of Jun 06, 2006 at 14:15 [EST]
Name:
Tom Schlachter
Unit:
EMail:
tschla01@baker.edu
How I found the 517th page:
From a search engine
Comments:
My father, Michael H Schlachter was in the 517th PRCT. Company C or D. I have found out that he was to receive a Bronze Star and something else, a Combat infantry badge, or something like that. Well he has been promised a few times that it would be taken care of but it never has. I would like to do this for him, but have no idea who to seek for help. My dad has said something about some records were destroyed in a fire and his were lost. If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate you help. Thank You Tom Schlachter

                               Getting Military Medals You Earned

Thank you for your help. I think it will mean a lot to my
father and I know I am very proud of what he did.

Tom Schlachter

Gene- Loup Gassend

Dear Ben
I am permitting myself to resubmit this demand to the
veterans of the 517th. I have got two people who gave
me their phone numbers so that I can contact them, but
it would be great to get a few more:

For all the 517 veterans who were in southern France,
particularly men of E, G and I companies.

My name is Jean-Loup Gassend, from southern France,
and I have already had quite a lot of contact with
some 517 veterans  ( http://517prct.org/bios/moles_m.htm  ).
I am currently preparing an oral history book about
the liberation of southern France, and would like to
phone some of you who may remember interesting details
about the period of august 15th until early september
1944.
There is nothing to be afraid of, I would simply
like to do a phone interview: you can tell me some of
your stories, and I can ask you some question, and I
will tape the conversation, to be able to re write it
afterwards. (I have already done this with many FSSF
veterans)
As a side note, it is a lot of work for me to do
this, especially as I am a medical student so don't have
much free time, so it would be nice if I could get
some cooperation from a few of you. It is to preserve
your memories remember.
Any of you who would be interested to tell me your
stories, you can send me an e-mail with your telephone
number at jean-loup@gassend.com   , I will then phone
you myself. If you do not want to be phoned, you could
just tell me your stories by email, but from
experience I know you will tell me more details by
phone, so I would prefer to phone you.
I have gone over many old mail calls, and would
particularly like to be able to phone:

Joe Mackiewicz
Dick Havill

If any of you are interested, I can show you an
example of what I have already put together concerning
the battle at St Cezaire, from interviews with locals,
and replies I got in the past on mailcall. (I think Mr
Hensleigh may be interested to see this)
Once again, there is nothing to be afraid of, I
would simply like to hear about what you remember over
the phone.
I will be very glad to be able to contact any of you
who have a good memory. Send me your phone number at
jean-loup@gassend.com  .
Since I know that some people dont always read mail
call, or only briefly look over it, I will send this
message to Ben several times so that I am sure most
people read it at least once.

Thanks a lot

Jean-Loup Gassend

Wayne Cross

Dragoon-After Action Reports

Plane 27 – Lt. Miller, Jumpmaster Record of Events
Company "B"

 At 0300 hours, D-Day at Campino Airfield, Italy, Co. B loaded planes 16, 17, 18, 25-1/2, 26, 27, 34 and 35.  This is a record of activities of each of these plane loads.  Plane 16, Lt. Hillsdale – Jumpmaster, 1st Squad of 1st Platoon and communications personnel.

"D" Day

Plane 16

 The stick dropped approximately 2-1/2 miles North and ½ mile West of Lorgue, France.  Then after landing the entire stick was assembled and started for the objective by way of Lorgue to Les Arcs.  They arrived in Lorgue at 0800 hours and left Pvt. J. Davis in the hospital because of injuries received in the jump.  The group left Lorgue at 0930 hours on a cross country route for Les Arcs.  They moved very slowly and cautiously because of strong enemy positions.  The group pinned down on the outskirts of Les Arcs by heavy enemy small arms fire and enemy concentrations.  They withdrew to the outskirts of Lorgue and started out for their objective by a different route.  They stopped in the woods at 2200 hours and stayed there until morning.

"D" PLUS

 Landed three miles East of Trans-en-Provence.  They assembled with Capt. Young and moved toward Les Arcs, capturing a truck on the way.  Half of the group moved by truck to the Regtl CP and there joined Co. B.  The remainder stayed in Les Arcs with Major Boyle.

Plane 34 – S/Sgt. Loyrina, Jumpmaster

 Landed about 200 yards West of the Drop Zone.  The stick was unable to organize at the position but moved to the Bn. objective and there joined the Co.

Plane 38 – Lt. Sanford, Jumpmaster

 Lt. Sanford, the 1st Sgt., Co. Hqs. personnel, one mortar squad and Bn. aid men, jumped at 0505 and landed 10 miles North East of the DZ.  In attempting to find their Bn. objective they joined General Fredericks and accompanied his forces to the Task Force Headquarters, at which time they received orders to send out patrols to lead in Hqs. personnel, to outpost the area, and to remain there until further orders.  The aid men immediately joined in bringing in and treating the wounded, although they were under sniper fire.  At 1200 hours, they were relieved and moved by way of La Motte; through the British Lines, to the Regtl. CP picking up about 50 men on the way.  At the Regtl CP, Co. B personnel was organized under Lt. Sanford and moved to the Bn objective, reporting that the Bn. Exec. Officer.  Then, the Co. was given two missions:  To outpost the E flank of the Bn. positions:  to place a road block, with an attached A.T. platoon (442nd) on Route 7 N of the Bn. position.  This was accomplished and on the morning of "D" plus 1 the entire Co. was moved to the road block.  The 2nd platoon one squad of the AT platoon, and the Bn. Rocket Launcher team were placed on the E side, the 3rd platoon and 2 AT squads to the W, and the remainder held in support.  At about 1400 hours a section from the Reconnaissance Co. of the 45th Division contacted the road block and SE of Les Arcs to determine if the bridge was prepared for demolition.

 Sgt. Montgomery volunteered his squad and moved out with radio contact.  At the bridge Sgt. Montgomery, Pvt. Baldwin, Pvt. Hawthorne were killed; Pvt. Reece returned immediately to warn his unit.  The other four, one of whom was seriously wounded, returned after dark.  The leading elements of the enemy Bn. ran into the Co. position and were engaged in a fire fight.  After about two hours the enemy withdrew.  Three prisoners were taken.  The road block was held through the night and no action was seen on "D" plus 2 and on "D" plus 3 the Co. Commander took over the Co.  On "D" plus 3 the Co. joined the Bn. as it moved out to Puget.

CHARLES J. HILLSDALE
Lt., Infantry
Commanding