From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 7:18 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1130 517TH PRCT- JUNE 8, 2008
 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

The After Action Reports are the copies that were retrieved from a waste paper bin by Tom Cross sometime after the events took place. Tom thought that someday they may be of interest to others.

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

     As of June 8th           517th Portland Reunion  July 17-21, 2006

11               Days left to close of Hotel Registration - June 17th
                              Prices for the 517th Registration of  $ 88 or $ 99 daily  rate cannot be
                                   guaranteed after the above date.

40               Days until Reunion D-Day - July 17th

                              Please submit your choice of the various events at the earliest
                              date as we must make plans for number of participants

Gene Frice, President and the valiant Portland Planning Committee

Harris Johnson

been trying to outline, filling in the blanks wherever possible, the record of the Service Company of the 517th PRCT from Italy forward.  My interest is founded in the fact that my father in law, EM Larry P. Shipp, was a member of the Service Company but he is more than reluctant, for reasons of his own, to talk specifics about his time with the 517th PRCT.  Part of his reluctance is probably problems with his memory.  My objective in trying to tie in the Service Company Records of Events of the 517th PRCT to his experiences is so that his descendents, much like the descendents of Civil War veterans with some sort of written record available, can better understand what their ancestor was like and how his life was changed by his military experiences.

He has said he will leave his papers with me upon his death; however, I am trying to gain an insight to the  517th Service Company activities through the period Italy to VE Day so that I, or someone, can tie it all together some day.

My main source of information comes from a "propaganda" article appearing in THE NORFOLK LEDGER DISPATCH, date unknown but probably mid summer 1945, and what little I have gotten from Larry and the 517th web site, its links and its publication references.  I should point out that Larry says the news paper article is "hog wash" fostered by his Army handler, but surely part of it is true.  If interested I will send you a copy as an example of what was given to the US public at the time.

Larry has told me that members of the Service Company were routinely assigned to various Companies for a particular job and that he is unable to remember the specific Company names he was with even for his major activities.

Jolene Devaney

Good Morning Ben,

I wanted to let you know how much Mark & I are enjoying the book.  It’s so amazing to see “real life” photo’s of the guys and locations.  It’s truly amazing and we appreciate you letting us borrow it.

I wanted to let you know that this was in my home town paper this morning so maybe you’ll see some traffic on the site from Bradford and the surrounding area.

THAT SITE: Our Memorial Day edition included a story about Jolene Devaney, a former Bradford woman, who met a man who knew her uncle during World War II.

In her research to find more information about her uncle, Patrick Michaels, Jolene stumbled upon a Web site for the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team.

The Web site - www.517prct.org - includes information on reunions, soldier stories and a history of the group.

Those looking for information will find this Web site helpful.

Jolene Devaney

Jolene is the niece of Patrick Michaels KIA.

Dennis Sura

Ben, I just got off the phone with Dick Hugler of Alpena, Michigan.  He and my father Mike Sura were in Company H of the 2nd Platoon 517th PRCT.  He and dad were both wounded on February 6th 1945 in a very large mine field in Germany and both taken out of the war on that day.

Dick sends his best to his Band of Brothers, he and his wife don't travel very far these days.  I visited him last summer and he was a wealth of info on dad and their adventures.  I also talked to Sgt. Harmon who remembered many including my fathers.

Dennis Sura
Novi, MI

Wayne Cross

Dragoon - After Action Reports

Company C
"D" DAY

Company C enplaned at Campine Airfield, 30 miles NE of Rome, Italy at 0030 hours, 15 Aug 44, with a total strength of 121 EM and nine officers.  The planes took off at 0200 hours and after circling the field for an hour headed NW for France.  Most of the men settled down and went to sleep.  The trip over the sea was uneventful.  Twenty minutes from the DZ all pilots gave the parachutists an oral warning and the men buckled on their equipment.  There was a heavy fog lying close to the ground.  It was later revealed that the Pathfinder group had missed the field, thereby resulted in having the pilots use their own judgment for the drop.  The results were that the Co. was scattered.  The majority of the Co. landed approximately one mile S and W of Trans-en-Provence,
France.  One stick of the 4rd Platoon under Lt. Cook landed near La Motte, and the Company Commander landed in the center of Trans-en-Provence proper.  The Company assembled by sticks and in groups of three and four and began to find their way toward the 1st Bn. assembly area.  Enroute there were several minor clashes with German patrols with no casualities to ourselves and 20 or 30 Germans were killed.  Because they were widely scattered it was necessary for each of these groups to take a different route to the Bn. assembly area (which was near Chateau St. Rosseline) and noon of "D" day found the Co. disposed as follows:  (A) Majority under Lt. Dugan in positions around Chateau St. Rosseline, (b) a group of 15 under Sgt. ?????? with Major Boyle in Les Arcs where they were helping to defend a road block.  (c) Captain La Chausse plus the stick that jumped with Lt. Cook at La Motte, was on the Co. objective (Roche Rousse, France).  Throughout "D" day there were not any clashes with German troops on a large scale.  A few minor clashes occurred.  Outside of these skirmishes there was no section, but it was
 517th Prcht. Inf. with relief that the Company saw reinforcements arrive by parachute and glider early in the morning.
CHARLES E. LA CHAUSSE
Capt., Commanding

Record of Events
Headquarters 2nd Battalion

 At 0200 hours, 15 Aug 44, the 2nd Battalion, 517th Parachute Inf., enplaned at Ombrone Airfield, Italy, located at eight miles S of Crossette, Italy.  The battalion mission was to spearhead the Airborne Invasion of Southern France.  To land on a pre-designated dropping zone, located 1-l/2 miles Southwest of LaMotte, France.  Then after assembly to seize and hold high ground commanding the approach to the beaches where our amphibious forces were to effect a landing a short time later.  The Battalion loaded in 34 planes of the 440th TC Group commanded by Lt. Col. Krebs.  At 0235 hours the planes took off and after serial assembly proceeded NW to the designated objective.  The Battalion was preceded by Pathfinders consisting of 10 men, 1 officer, Lt. Waddle who jumped at 0255 with the mission to precede the Battalion, and set up at the drop zone.  The order of drop was to be "D" Co., Hq. Co., "E" Co., and "F" Co.  The actions in the earlier phases of the campaign will be described by Company units because of the independent nature of the activity.

RICHARD J. SEITZ
Lt. Col. 517 Prcht. Inf.
Commanding