From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 8:09 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1131 517TH PRCT-JUNE 9, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

     As of June 9th           517th Portland Reunion  July 17-21, 2006

10               Days left to close of Hotel Registration - June 17th
                              Prices for the 517th Registration of  $ 88 or $ 99 daily  rate cannot be guaranteed after the above date.

               39
                Days until Reunion D-Day - July 17th

                              Please submit your choice of the various events at the earlies date as we must make plans for number of participants

Gene Frice, President and the valiant Portland Planning Committee

Tom Cross

  Ben:
    The name of the Pathfinder Officer for the 2nd Battalion, 517th Parachute Infantry Regimental Combat Team in your 517th PRCT Mail Call No. 1130 was 1st Lt. John W. Weddle from Company E. He was an outstanding officer. He was quiet and unassuming but very effective. He passed away several years ago. He was from Radford, Virginia and I believe members of his family still reside there.
Regards, Tom Cross
Bob Dalrymple

Ben, for Joylene Devaney. I believe we had a Patrick Michaels in the 596th Engrs . He was KIA in Southern France, but I cannot recall the circumstances . Bob Dalrymple, former CO, 596th.

Alysa Burkman

I would like to join efforts with Mr Johnson to gain information about the Service Company.  As I wrote before, my grandfather was also with the Service Company and spoke little to none about his time.  Mr Johnson can contact me at my email Alysafb@comcast.net.  I am thinking seriously about attending the reunion with my father and family.
MSG Alysa Burkman
US Army
I am also interested in finding out how I can become an associate member.  I cannot seem to find the information.
 Alysa Burkman
 Wayne Cross

                     Dragoon--After Action Reports

Headquarters Company
"2nd" Battalion
"D" Day

 Hd. Co. 2nd Bn. enplaned at Ombrone Airfield near Crossette, Italy at 0200 hours.  The Company departed the airfield at 0235 hours on 15 Aug 44 for Southern France.  Lt. Col. Seitz, Commanding Officer, 2nd Bn. was the first man in the lead plane of the Company.  He jumped at 0435 hours.  The Co. was scattered over a large area extending roughly N to LaMotte, and S. to LEs Arcs, E to Le Muy and W to Draguigean.  However, approximately 50% of the Co. assembled three kilometers SE of La Motte and moved with Co. "D" to the assigned area.  Several injuries were sustained in this operation.  Major Cross, Battalion Executive Officer, suffered a fractured leg but refused to quit his post until given a direct order by Lt. Col. Seitz.  The Battalion Sgt. Major, S/Sgt Backus could not continue due to a sprained ankle.  Cpl. Neimann of the light machine gun platoon neglected his injured ankle so that he might go on with his squad until the following day when it became necessary to evacuate him.  Less than an hour after descent, Lt. Miley, was electrocuted while cutting wires which he thought to be used for communication.  A group of machine gunners consisting of Lt. Robinson, Sgt. Furneison, Pvt. Clark and Pvt. Bagan, while searching for equipment bundles was attacked by an enemy force with machine pistols.  Lt. Robinson took cover in an irrigation ditch.  While Clark and Began were searching for better cover for protection, Clark was shot in the back.  Began turned to aid him, but was urged to go on by Clark.  Clark was later found dead with several bullet holes in his body.  Sgt. Furneison was captured but escaped later.

 Fifty percent of the company was assembled and in position by 0230 hours on "D" Day.  It remained in position on the road from Draguignan to LeMuy until 1230 hours, at which time it was relieved by Hq. Co. of the 551st Parachute Battalion.

On "D" plus one, 15 Aug 44, Headquarters Company moved into position on the hills S of Chateau St. Rosseline near Les Arcs.  The 81mm Mortar Platoon was attached to Company "D" in Les Arcs.  The light Machine Gun Platoon outposted the railroad between Les Arcs and Le Muy and also served as protection to the 2nd Bn. CP which was located three kilometers N of Les Arcs.   The 81mm Mortar Platoon was attached to Company "D" in Les Arcs.  The light Machine Gun Platoon outposted the railroad between Les Arcs and Le Muy and also served as protection to the 2nd Bn. CP which was located three kilometers N of Les Arcs.  While in this position the Co. was shelled several times by German artillery with scattered mortar fire.  Both Lt. Lewis, Battalion Adjutant and Cpl. Fischer, Battalion Clerk, received wounds necessitating their evacuation.

 The positions were not changed until "D" plus three when the Company moved to the vicinity of Bagnola.

ROBERT B. GLAUER
Capt. 517th Prcht. Inf.
Commanding

Record of Events
Company "D"
 Co. D was assigned the mission of clearing the DZ, located as described above by sending two platoons (reinforced) to seize and hold the hill front commanding a possible approach to the Bn. AA.  The other platoon was to push forward to seize the left flank of the Bn. Sector.  At 0425 hours on 15 Aug 44, Capt. David H. Armstrong, Co. Co. D led his first plane load of paratroopers out the door of the 1st plane of the 1st wave over S France from a height of 1500 ft.  Simultaneously, seven more plane loads of D. Co. troopers bailed out with their equipment bundles.  They landed about three kilometers SE of LaMotte, France.  The night was dark, and a thick fog approximately 800 ft. in depth obscured the ground and materially affected the assembly of the men and equipment.  Some of the Company units encountered a light enemy resistance, characterized principally by small arms fire.  This fire came from enemy patrols and was quickly silenced.  The majority of the Co. was assembled by daylight on the highway leading into LaMotte.  At that point, the Co. joined Hq. Co. which was about 50% strength.

 The command of the Co. was delegated to Lt. Laron, S. James, former Co. Exec. Officer as the injuries sustained by Capt. Armstrong when he landed made his evacuation necessary.  Other Co. jump casualties were:  Pvt. Flagle, sprained ankles; Pvt. R. A. Allen, broken foot; Lt. Sherman Williams, sprained ankle; Pvt. F. Waprci, sprained back; Pvt. Foute, sprained ankle; Pvt. Sloav, sprained ankle; Pvt. Bill Jones, broken rib; Pvt. Payne, ruptured ear drum; ???Melvin Edwards, back injury.  Lt. Williams and Pvt. Flagle and Jones and Edwards later joined the Co.   Pvt. Frederick Johns, while attempting to join the Co. was killed by 3 MC bullets in his back.  His last words were "I’m sorry I let you fellows down."  The other injured were evacuated, Pvt. Jones broken rib; Pvt. Payne, ruptured ear drum, Lt. Williams, Pvts. Flagle and Jones rejoined the Co.  The remainder were evacuated.

 The 2nd Bn. with Co. D leading assisted by a French guide, moved to the planned assembly area near a large Chateau located 1-l/2 miles SW from the Chateau,
Lt. Williams took one squad from the 2nd Platoon and put out a road block on Highway 7 moving through the valley.  This squad proceeded to a point 500 yards from the Chateau where Cpl. Fred Gensianni blew down poles with demolitions and cut down important communication wires with wire cutters.  Trees were also down along the road.  The remainder of the Co. went into position on the high ground commanding the valley through which the road ran.

 Approximately at 1200 hours on D Day, a reinforced squad, commanded by
Sgt. Roger Goodwell, accompanied by Lt. Starkey to high ground on the right of the valley and prepared to defend the high ridge until relieved by the 551st Prch. Inf.  The 3rd Platoon, commanded by Lt. Cooper occupied the high ground E of Lt. Starkey and organized for defense.  The 1st Platoon, now commanded by Lt. Williams, was in reserve with the remainder of the 2nd Platoon.

 Although the 551st jumped into the valley protected by the 2nd Bn. at 1310 hours, plans evidently were changed since the 3rd Platoon was not relived and remained in position all night until "D" plus 1.  The reinforced squad from the 2nd Platoon stayed in position until 2200 hours when they were ordered to withdraw.  They withdrew under the light of enemy flares and were attacked by a superior force of Germans who threw more than 10 hand grenades into their positions.  The withdrawal, however, was without mishap and they joined the 1st Platoon.

 The night of "D" plus 1, the lst and 2nd Platoons moved to a bivouac near the Chateau and spent the night.  The following day the 2nd Bn. moved out to take over the objective of the 3rd Bn., which was delayed because of dropping so far from the DZ.  At that time, a small force from the 1st Bn., commanded by Maj. Boyle, was trapped in the town of Les Arcs by an overwhelming force of Germans.  The two platoons of Co. D were ordered to proceed to the town, get Maj. Boyle out, then withdraw.

 The 2nd Platoon moved out first, followed by the 1st Platoon.  They met no opposition until they moved into the town.  A defense was thrown up from house to house 200 yrds from the railroad station in the S part of Les Arcs early in the morning of "D" plus 2.  The defense held despite repeated massing of enemy troops at the railroad station and constant threat of attack.  One attack was broken up by extremely effective firing by the 2nd Platoon mortar squad, commanded by Sgt. Hillhouse, and the 1st Platoon MG gunner Pvt. Joe Haynes, with other riflemen.  A second attack was stopped by strafing and dive bombing P-51’s and the Germans massing for a third attack was stopped by a barrage from 4.2 mortars of Co. D 63rd CWS Bn.  During that time the S end of Les Arcs was held by the 2nd Platoon.  The 1st Platoon held the right flank while the left flank was lightly held by scattered men from the 1st Bn.  Prior to the attacks, the 1st Platoon led by Lt. J. P. Witt, reconnoitered deep into enemy territory where Lt. Witt and Pvt. Salinas were wounded.  The 1st Platoon commanded by S/Sgt. J. V. Benton, then defended the right flank.

 At approximately 1500 hours, Co. F reinforced D. Co., and secured the N end of town.  Ten men were sent from Co. F to reinforce the 2nd Platoon in the S of the town.

 During the day, 4 patrols led by Lt. Starkey penetrated into enemy territory on reconnaissance missions.  On D plus 2, Lt. Starkey finally contacted a patrol from the 3rd Bn. and a reconnaissance until from the 45th Div.  Following this the enemy was dispersed.

 In the section of Les Arcs, the following were wounded, Lt. Witt, Pvt. Salinas, Pvt. Haynes, Pvt. F. Callucci, Cpl. B. McKean, Pvt. Gallucci and Cpl. Mo Koan were injured by shelling from German artillery.

 The 3rd Platoon on D plus 1 at 2200 hours moved to the N side of town and organized defense and sent out 4 patrols to locate 3rd Bn., without success.

 At 0730 hours on D plus 3 the Bn. moved to new positions 9 miles SE of Les Arcs where the Co. organized positions on high ground protecting the 7th Army on its right flank.

 On "D" plus 6 the Co. moved a l/2 mile W of Fayence and set up a defense in conjunction with E and F Co’s.  They hold that defense to date ("D" plus 7).

LOREN S. JAMES
1st Lt., Inf.
Commanding