From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 8:00 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1132 517TH PRCT-JUNE 10, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

     As of June10th           517th Portland Reunion  July 17-21, 2006

               9
               Days left to close of Hotel Registration - June 17th
                              Prices for the 517th Registration of  $ 88 or $ 99 daily  rate cannot be guaranteed after the above date.

               38
               Days until Reunion D-Day - July 17th

                              Please submit your choice of the various events at the earlies date as we must make plans for number of participants

Gene Frice, President and the valiant Portland Planning Committee
Alysa Burkman

Thank you.  I am looking forward to going.  I asked today for time off and it was granted so I shall start making preparations
                                                 ************
Alysa id grand daughter of Gilbert Burkman, Service Co.--Ben

Howard Hensleigh

We are grateful to Tom and Wayne Cross for the after action reports and their getting into readable form and to you, Ben, for putting them in Mail Call.  It is my understanding that Tom rescued the reports around the time when  517th PIR was being disbanded at Ft. Bragg.  Tom and now Wayne have given us a lot of history salvaged from a pile of waste paper.  We salute you both.  Howard Hensleigh

Tom Cross

 Ben;
   I wish to add the following comments to the Hq.Co. 2nd Bn. part of Mail Call No. 1131. The correct name of the 2nd Bn  Hq. Co. Commander is Captain Robert  B Clauer. The Lt. Robinson mentioned in the D-Day action is Lt. Robert M. Robinson, Asst. 81 mm Mortar Platoon Leader Hq. Co. 2nd Bn., who went AWOL from the Hospital in order to participate in OPERATION DRAGOON. He was KIA on D-Day and is buried in the Military Cemetery in Draguignan. The correct  name of the Italian city near the Ombrone Departure Airfield is Grosseto.
    Captain David H. Armstrong, Company Commander of Company "D" , was an outstanding officer. He graduated from West Point in 1932 and resigned his Commission in 1938. When WW II broke out he enlisted in the army and graduated from Officer Candidate School (OCS) and then joined the 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment at Camp Toccoa, GA at which time he was given Command of Co. D, 2nd Bn. by the Regimental Commander, Colonel Louis A. Walsh Jr.. Assigning a junior Lt. to Command a Company was highly unusual and indicated the great respect that Colonel Walsh had for Dave Armstrong. Dave was fully deserving and proved it time after time both in training and in combat.

Harris Johnson

Gentlemen,

I am trying to piece together information which would shed some light on the 517th PRCT Service Company career of my father in law, Enlisted Man Larry P. Shipp, during his time from Italy to VE Day.

Larry is in very poor health and his memory of that time is faulty and unreliable.  His body still bears the evidence of his injuries, shown first in the one Casualty Report on the 517th web site, and includes a metal head plate from his last wound in early 1945. Other Casualty Reports are not readily available for review.  His name does appear in the 1944 Christmas Roster so he must have been in the Company from Italy to his final wound which brought him home for medical treatment around VE Day.

I understand that Service Company personnel were constantly being shifted around from one company to another for specific assignments and the records are sketchy at best.  Still I am trying to pin down what I can about Larry so his descendants will have some insights down the road. My friends who have written records about Civil War, WW I and WW II ancestors tell me that information is one of the most treasured things they possess.

Larry was a motorcycle rider in carnivals before his Army experience and I understand he worked with some motorcycles acquired by the 517th during the early days in Italy.  I have no idea what sort of paratrooper he was during this time - and that is incidental for me - as my interests lie in trying to document his wounds and combat experiences.  He jumped in Dragoon with the 3rd Bn and landed near Callian.

In any event, I would appreciate any information you might have on Larry or suggestions of contacts that might prove useful.  Finally any guidance on how to pursue this would be most helpful.

Many thanks.

Harris Johnson

4857 Woody Mill Road Greensboro NC 27406

harrisjohnson@triad.rr.com

Wayne Cross

                                     Dragoon- After Action Reports

Record of Events
Company "E"
"D" DAY

 Company "E" was assigned the mission of seizing and holding the high ground to the W and SW of the assembly area which commanded the approaches into the valley leading to the beaches.  The assigned DZ was as prescribed for the Bn. Co. "E" enplaned at Ombrone Airfield at 0200 hours, 15 Aug 44.  The men jumped over France at 0435 hours and landed generally in the vicinity of La Motte, France.  That part of the Co. which assembled, moved toward its objective near Trans-on-Provence vis La Motte arriving at 1045 hours.  It was there by the Battalion Commander, Lt. Col. Seitz, who ordered it to move into the predesignated defensive position at 1143.  It held that position until it was relieved by the 551st Prcht. Bn at 2100 hours.  During the day no organized resistance was encountered.  Small patrol action by members of the Co. were the only contact made.  With a rifle grenade, Pvt. E. M. Magelo killed two Germans riding a motorcycle in the vicinity of La Motte.  Near Le Muy, Pvt. C. C. Simon was killed by a small enemy tank.  Pvt. Little and Short were captured and held prisoner by the enemy in Le Muy until the town was taken by the 550th Glider Inf., Bn. the following day.  They were released and returned to the Co. on the following day.  Upon relief by the 551st Prcht. Inf., the Co. moved to the Regtl. CP area N of Loe Arcs and remained there until the morning of "D" Plus 1.

"D" Plus One

 The Company then moved into defensive position in the vicinity of Les Arcs at 0900 hours relieving part of Co. A. 1st Bn.  From the 1st Squad of the 3rd Platoon, a patrol led by 1st Lt. J. E. Bearley killed 12 Germans and captured one.  The Co. remained in the position until the evening of "D" Plus Two.  During the afternoon of 16 Aug 44, in the shelling of the left flank, three casualties were suffered.  Pvt. Ware was shot in the hand while on patrol with Lt. Bearley.

"D" Plus Two
 The Co. moved back to the 2nd Bn. Cp in the evening of 17 Aug 44 and stayed until 1330 hours 18 Aug 44 when it moved to defensive positions NE of La Motte, arriving there at 1630 hours and remaining until 0500 hours 20 Aug 44.  During this time, no enemy were contacted.

ROBERT H. NEWBERRY
Capt. Infantry
Commanding