From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:25 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1133 517TH PRCT -- JUNE 11, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

     As of June11th           517th Portland Reunion  July 17-21, 2006

               8
              Days left to close of Hotel Registration - June 17th
                              Prices for the 517th Registration of  $ 88 or $ 99 daily  rate cannot be guaranteed after the above date.

               37
               Days until Reunion D-Day - July 17th

                              Please submit your choice of the various events at the earlies date as we must make plans for number of participants

Gene Frice, President and the valiant Portland Planning Committee
Tom Cross

Ben:
    I made a mistake as regards to the first name of Lt. Robinson described in the 2nd Bn, Hq. Co. narrative of Mail Call No. 1131. The correct name is Lt. Albert M. Robinson.
Regards, Tom
Entry of Jun 09, 2006 at 08:01 [EST]
Name: Jolene Devaney
Unit:
EMail: Devaney@ allvantage.com
How I found the 517th page: Other
Comments: Dear Bob596@ laposadagv.net, I wanted to thank you for responding on behalf of my inquiry to my Uncle Pat Michaels. I have been in contact with Mr. Alan Johnson (a good friend of my Uncles) who has been able to fill us in on many details of his life in the service. I appreciate you responding and would be pleased to hear any stories you may recall involving him. Please feel free to contact me directly. Sincerely, Jolene

Entry of Jun 10, 2006 at 03:51 [EST]
Name: William C. Hale Jr. (TOD)
Unit: USS TURNER JOY (DD-951)
EMail: hiwaysailor951@ yahoo.com
How I found the 517th page: Other
Comments: My Dad was in the 517th from the start. I wrote some time ago without a response, so I'll try again. I live in southern Oregon and would greatly appreciate the chance to attend your reunion in Dad's stead. My wife and I recently attended a reunion of pilots with whom he flew in later years, and we were overwhelmed by the memories and related stories. As I recall, Dad was to make sure that the troops at the front had all the munitions that they needed. I guess he was supply officer. Thank you in advance for any response.

Wayne Cross

                        Dragoon - After Action Reports

Record of Events
Company "F"
"D" DAY

 The Company enplaned at Ombrone Airfield near Grossette, Italy, at 0200 hours, 15 Aug 44.  At 0435, Capt. McKinley led the Co. out of his plane in its first combat jump.  The Co. was assigned the mission of clearing the town of La Motte, France after organizing on the assigned DZ 1-l/2 miles SW of La Motte.  However, the Co. landed in the vicinity of Le Muy, NE and SE of the town.  As the town was defended, these men quickly moved for cover outside the town.  There several Germans were met and the fatal wounding of Pvt. O’Brien occurred.  The several units finally organized under
Capt. McKinley, the Commander, Colonel Graves, who had previously joined
Capt. McKinley, the Co. moved out for La Motte, its original objective.  About 2 miles outside of La Motte, the Co. found the body of Tec 4 Shanneyfelt, who had been shot through the head and killed by a sniper.  On the march, the point discovered several camouflaged enemy barracks on the side of a small hill near the route of march.
Lt. Riddle, under cover of two scouts and a BAR moved up and captured eight enemy soldiers.  Lt. Cinchicci was wounded by a grenade on the outskirts of La Motte.  The right flank patrol, commanded by S/Sgt. Minick, discovered some men from the 2nd British Parachute Brigade and learned that La Motte was occupied by both British and American Parachute Troops.  The column then moved from La Motte SW approximately two miles to the Regimental CP where the men rested over night.

"D" Plus One

 On 16 Aug 44, the Co. moved S of Les Arcs to reinforce Co. D.  Received moderate shell fire, but sustained no casualties while en route.  The Co. moved to the S and W edges of the town encountering sporadic sniper fire from the vicinity of the railroad S of the town.  Here defensive positions were set up.  They remained in Les Arcs gradually getting reinforcements until 18 Aug 44, when the Co. left Les Arcs and moved to the vicinity of Bagnols.  There defensive positions were set up and were held until
20 Aug 44.  No resistance encountered.

JOHN N. McKINLEY
Capt. Inf.
Commanding