From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 8:04 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO 1134 517TH PRCT--JUNE 13, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I have been trying to get  members to encourage Gene Mars to again attend our reunions . Gene (Chop Chop) is one of the most liked members of the 517th PRCT.

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

     As of June12th           517th Portland Reunion  July 17-21, 2006

               7
              Days left to close of Hotel Registration - June 17th
                              Prices for the 517th Registration of  $ 88 or $ 99 daily  rate cannot be guaranteed after the above date.

               36
               Days until Reunion D-Day - July 17th

                              Please submit your choice of the various events at the earlies date as we must make plans for number of participants

Gene Frice, President and the valiant Portland Planning Committee
Dan Mars

Ben:

 Please add my sister Michou Yenokida to your mailing list.  She is Eugene Mars’ daughter.

 mmyenokida@aol.com

Keep up the good work!

Thanks very much.

Dan Mars

Ben:

No I don’t think so.  My sister asked him and he said no.  I’m afraid he won’t be attending any more reunions.

 Dan

Gene Brissey

Gene Brissey, Company "E""
Reference Mail Call 1132 and an article apparently submitted by Wayne Cross, subject Dragoon-After action Report Company "E" "D" Day. Some of this looked familiar But I would like to submit a non literary, chopped version as I saw it. CO. E, in part landed somewhere near Les Arcs. Very dark. I connected with a couple friends. We crawled around in brush, etc. Heard strange voices. May have been Germans. We moved away. About dawn we found another friend and a Capt.
Thought we had found a leader but he seemed really lost. Found out he was a mess officer. We were being shelled and fired on. My friends and I took off. About noon we found some Co. E people. Possibly led by Capt. Newberry. We advanced over a hill overlooking the Rhone Valley. Dug in among trees and were attacked by Germans who were massing in the valley below, many of them We held our ground. They fired on us with small arms and artillery. A boy next to me kept asking, "Do you think we will make it. As we were being held down, Lt. Col. Dick Seitz walked by and this kid yelled at him "Hey mac do you think we will make it?"
Dick said, "yes" It was then that I realized that this kid was the one who went past the door when we were jumping and I had dragged back and had then him from the plane. I now wished that I hadn't. Roger Bender, our mortar squad leader had set up his mortar squad by a house to my left. Germans kept firing. Charles Lemen one of our a mortar men was killed in the yard of the house. About dusk an American 81M mortar outfit and our artillery let loose a barrage of fire up that valley to our front that killed or chased every enemy out of those grape vines. We were saved but exhausted. We fell to the ground around that house and slept. Next A.M. we moved on, except Lemen, who remains in the cemetery at Drauignan.
It was in this yard that my dog tag was found by the woman of the house while raking the yard in 1978. In 1999 when some of our troops were visiting the Les Arcs area. The man from that house approached Ben Adams and Dick Jones and ask " if per chance they knew a Eugene Brissey?" They said yes. He said I have his dog tag". Dick and Ben brought me his address. In 1990 Edie and I visited them and retrieved my tag. We visited Lemen's grave site. In 1999 John Krumm Jr. and his wife Irene went with Edie and me back to the area and visited Lemen again and toured the route we had traveled to Sospel in !944.
Gene Brissey

Gene Frice

Ben and all:
     Received a note from Ray Estrella concerning his father-in-law, Bert Duran, A Co. Ray and I served in Special Forces together for about 10 years before I found he was a family member of the 517. Ray has been a long time supporter of the 517th and many may remember his family (a bunch) with Bert at each 517 Palm Springs gathering. Bert is a dedicated member of our 517th and we offer a 517th prayer for his recovery:

     "Long time no see or talk. My father-in-law, Bert Duran (A CO) is very sick. He is totally bedridden, requiring 24/7 care from our family. We missed Palm Springs, and were trying to make Portland, but that is now in question. I hope to buy you a beer (or anything else you like) soon. Take care and God Bless. "DE OPPRESSO LIBER"--Ray Estrella"
     Gene Frice, F Co.

Wayne Cross

                             Dragoon--After Action Report

Record of Events
Headquarters 3rd Battalion

 The 3rd Bn. left Ortatello Airfield.  Italy in 45 planes at 0240 hours.  15 Aug 44, bound for a DZ located near La Motte, France.  The lift was scheduled to jump at 0440 hour and did so but landed in a line extending from cast of Vallian to about five miles W of Seillana.

 Thirty-five planes jumped in the vicinity of Callian.  These planes contained personnel of Hq. Co., and H. Co. of the 3rd Bn. and Regimental Hqs. and Service Co.  The remaining part of this group landed just E of Callian and assembled there with the following personnel:  G Co., - 40:  H Co., - 60:  Hqs. Co., 3rd Bn. – 60: Service Co. – 40: and Regimental Hqs. Co. – 20.  Lt. Gibbons resumed command of this group and made plans to march back to our junction at 643-5305 map XXXV-43, 7 and 8 where they met another group of about 50 American and 80 British.

 Ten planes landed in the hills about five miles W of Fayence, France.  Eight planes of this group contained the entire personnel and equipment of I Co. and two planes contained the command group and part of the Communication personnel of Hq. Co.  These planes were the first 10 planes in the first group formation.

 After assembling the personnel and equipment, Lt. Col. Zais proceeded on to Claviers with this group.  Enroute they were bombed by P-38’s.  The attack terminated when the yellow smoke signal was displayed.  The railroad to the NE of town was blown and the group reached Claviers just before darkness.  They bivouacked on a Chateau W of town at 2300 hours.  In the morning the group proceeded toward their destination – Les Arcs.  Nothing was encountered on the march.  Lt. Co. Zais obtained a vehicle at the glider landing field near La Motte and set out to obtain information, about the rest of the Bn.  At about 1400 hours of D Plus 1, this group met the remainder of the Bn. in the outskirts of La Motte.

 Some of the 33 planes landed in the hills just E of Tourettes.  This group was assembled, amounted to 60 men of G, M and Hqs. Co’s.  Of these, 10 were wounded badly enough to be unable to march.  Three aid men were left with this group and a place fixed for them in the hills E of Tourettes.  Capt. McGeever was in command of this group and after gathering up the injured the morning of D Day started toward his destination – Les Arcs, at 11 hours.  Just S of Tourettes they joined up with about 80 British paratroopers under Maj. Blackwood.  This combined group ran into a convoy of German vehicles which were under fire from a stone house near the main highway S of Fayence.

 Under the combined fire of the English-American group and the personnel in the house, that convoy personnel were either killed, surrendered or fled.  The English-American group put a 81mm mortar in action and that terminated the action as the enemy fled.  Five prisoners were taken, one of whom died, around 10 or 12 were killed and the rest escaped.  Six vehicles were taken, three of which were in operating condition.  This convoy was on the road between Bagncies and Fayence.  This group then marched until they met the rest of the 3rd Bn. at about 1300 hours at road junction 54.S-82.25.

 The personnel in the stone house was Lt. Col. De Cavre, Chief of Staff of ABIF, Phillips and S/Sgt. From Div. Hq.  They also came along with the English-American Group.

 At the road junction, Capt. McGeever took command of both the 3rd Bn. group and the British troopers.  This group of 390 men marched to within about six miles of Bagnoles before bivouacking at about 2400 hours D Day.  During the night, plans were made for the remainder of the march to Les Arcs.  On D Plus 1, the march was resumed at 0600 hours.  During the day at about 0600 hours, Co. De Cavre took command of the men.  Around 1030 in the morning, the rear element of this group shot up a German convoy and captured six prisoners.  Col De Cavre left the group to go to Div. Hqs. at 1200 hours.  The groups marched on until it met Col. Zais’s group in the outskirts of La Motte.  The English met elements of their own organization and left the group.

 Most of the 3rd Bn. was now assembled and marched to an assembly area near Reg’l Hqs. at Chateau Rosseline.  At 1945 hours of D Plus 1 day, the 3rd Bn. attacked the area S of Les Arcs and entered the town itself on D Plus 2.  The Battalion stayed in town all of D Plus 2; that night they departed for a new defensive area at 0800 of D Plus 3 day.  The Battalion marched from Les Arcs to the assemble area at 609-47 map XXXV-44, 3 and 4 on D Plus 4 day, the Battalion went into a defensive position in the area N of this position.  During the afternoon and night of this day, Capt. McGeever with an officer of the 602 FA and four jeeps returned to the hills E of Tourettes and picked up the injured men as well as others of the Regiment who had been left behind.  The whole amounted to about 25 men who got back to the 3rd Bn. at 0700 hours of D Plus 5 day.

JOSEPH T. MCGEEVER
Capt. 517th Prcht. Inf.
Commanding