From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:50 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1136 517TH PRCT- JUNE I4, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Today, June 14 is Flag Day. Click on That Ragged Old Flag

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

     As of June14th           517th Portland Reunion  July 17-21, 2006

               5
              Days left to close of Hotel Registration - June 17th
                              Prices for the 517th Registration of  $ 88 or $ 99 daily  rate cannot be guaranteed after the above date.

               36
               Days until Reunion D-Day - July 17th

                              Please submit your choice of the various events at the earlies date as we must make plans for number of participants

Gene Frice, President and the valiant Portland Planning Committee

William Hale

Dear Ben, thanks for your response! Dad passed away back in Dec of '97 at his home in Petersburg Va. I spent many hours as a youngster looking through his books about the 517th and the 18th ABC. I live in Central Point Or. just above the Ca. line. I'm 275 mi. from your hotel and being an independent trucker, getting there is no problem. I would like to be with you folks at least for awhile, during one of your informal gatherings.  I served aboard the USS Turner Joy (DD951) for two deployments to the South China sea during the Vietnam war between '65 and '69. Dad retired in '77 after 25 yrs then was a civil servant for DOA until '92. Having been an Army "brat" of the first order, I have a strong allegiance to all of you who served with and under Dad's command later. I will call you soon to determine when it might be a good time to be @ the Red Lion. I can park my rig across the street. Is Tom Cross going to be in attendance? I have some pictures of Dad and him along with some other officers that was taken somewhere , maybe @ Bragg?? Thanks again Ben, Best regards, TOD
                                                                ****************
 Lt. William C. Hale is listed on our 1944 Christmas roster. He was a member of Service Company. -Ben

Lory Curtis

A 'touchy-feely' CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine sniper
asked, "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"

The Marine shrugged and replied, " Recoil ."
Wayne Cross
                                      Dragoon--After Action Report

Record of Events
Company "G"
"D" DAY

 "G" Co. took off from Orbetello Airfield, Italy at 0220 hours D Day with the mission of dropping in the vicinity of La Motte, France and moving to a location near Chateau St. Rosseline in Regimental Reserve.

 At 0440, the Co. dropped about 25 miles from their objective near Callian, France.  Assembly was difficult since the element of the Co. were spread over a large area and the DZ was on unfamiliar terrain.  The first units assembled, set up on high ground and established an all around defense, while the organization was carried on.  An aid station for jump casualties was set up in a French house and patrols were sent out to contact other members of the Co. and carry in the injured.

 When the Co. was assembled, Lt. Ridler assumed command, being senior officer present in the assembly area.  A study of the maps, aided by some French people, showed that some elements of our Co. were dropped 25 miles from the original DZ.

 The Co. moved into the town of Callian where Lt. Steele and a group of 13 men joined the unit.  As the Co. left Callian and crossed the railroad tracks running through the valley, several men dropped out for demolition work.  Collins and Thomas blew up sections of the railroad tract and tore down communication lines.

 The unit was halted during the afternoon to give injured men medical aid and rest for the others.  After dark, the column moved onto a bivouac area and set up defenses.  Capt. McGeever, Commanding Officer of Hqs. Co. 3rd Bn. and another group of troopers joined here.  Among them were 15 G Co. men.

 The Co. went into a forward assembly area between La Motte and Les Arcs and got a two hour rest before getting word to attack at 1930.  The attack came about 1930 hours and ran through a vineyard and around a railroad bend.  The running skirmish lasted most of the night, with our troops digging in the vineyard and sending out patrols.  The G Co. patrols brought in 19 prisoners during the night and six early the next morning.

 In the morning, we moved into these positions with MG’s attached from Hqs. Co. and some attached Anti-Tank Units.  Capt. Hooper rejoined the Co. here, also Sgt. Long, who had badly injured his ankle on the jump.

 Capt. G. A. Hooper, Commander of Co. G had come in with the lead plane in the Co. flight and had not received the pre-planned warning the crew chief was supposed to signal to prepare the men for the jump.  When the signal came, Capt. Hooper was still working with a damaged harness on his own chute, but helped get door load out and get his stick of men on the way.  It was several seconds before the Capt. was ready to jump, but he bailed out as soon as he had his harness adjusted.  He landed NW of Grasse, approximately 40 miles from the EZ, but contacted members of the French Maquis, who led him through the enemy lines to rejoin his outfit four days later.

 Two G. Co. men had jumped with the Pathfinder Unit at 0326 hours, landing six miles from the DZ.  Pfc. Henry Fitipnek was injured on the jump, but assembled with four other Pathfinders and fought with the British paratroopers in the taking of Le Muy the following day.

 Pvt. J. Kitchin assembled with 20 of the Pathfinders near a German barracks at
Le Muy.  They were drawn into a firefight which cost the enemy 17 dead and four wounded.  They also joined the British and fought at Le Muy.  They reached their objective, set up and guided in the 551st Prcht. Inf., the Glider units and some aerial re-supply drops.

 Cpl. Allen Douglas landed near Fayence and assembled with several other parachutists on the ground.  Realizing they were off the DZ, they set up a small defense and waited for dawn.  They eventually formed a mixed group of 13 men, Americans, British and Scotch.  They contracted the Maquis who brought them a 2300 radio they had recovered from an equipment bundle.  They worked into the frequency, took the call name and contacted other American forces.

 For their positions, they radioed information back to the American troops and
P-47’s were sent over to dive bomb and strafe.

 When "King Six" said they were going to bomb the town of Fayence,
Cpl. Douglas had them hold off until he sent a Maquis down into town to have the civilians evacuate it, which they promptly did.

 Lt. L. McElroy had jumped at Callian and went patrolling to assemble other paratroopers.  The column moved out while he was still patrolling through the hills.  As he moved in towards Callian to rejoin the troops, he engaged the Germans in a fire fight.  He killed five and was lightly wounded himself when he shot one who had pulled the pin on a grenade.  He reported into the 36th Div. And was given the location of his outfit, rejoining them in Montauroux.

 As Cp. Louie Hopke moved along the Ragnols Road with another trooper, they got word of some Germans in a large house.  They took up positions and called for them to surrender.  They came running out of the house, so the men opened fire on them with a tommy gun and a carbine.  They took 40 prisoners, after killing close to the same number.  They turned those prisoners over to the 143 Inf.

 Sgt. Hackard and Col. Deshayes worked with an 083 Officer in negotiating surrender terms with a German officer in command of the fortress at La Roeb, taking 174 prisoners.  Later in the afternoon, Sgt. Hackard, along with three others, assisted in the killing of three Germans and the capture of it.

GRANT A. HOOPER