From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:53 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1137 517TH PRCT - JUNE 15, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

     As of June15th           517th Portland Reunion  July 17-21, 2006

               4
              Days left to close of Hotel Registration - June 17th
                              Prices for the 517th Registration of  $ 88 or $ 99 daily  rate cannot be guaranteed after the above date.

               37
               Days until Reunion D-Day - July 17th

                              Please submit your choice of the various events at the earlies date as we must make plans for number of participants

Gene Frice, President and the valiant Portland Planning Committee

Jeanne Davis

Hi Ben,

Just thought I would extend on Gene Frice's count down message about the hotel in Portland.  The count down is simply to show how many days are left to make arrangements for our BLOCKED rooms. After that our block is released and those rooms can be booked by anyone in the public.  Our 517th people may still make reservations at the same price.  However, the AVAILABILITY will be chancy.  We have been advised that Thursday and Friday go very fast.  And late comers may not be able to get lodging for the full week. All of that to say........make your reservations ASAP.  You may miss out if you don't.

Thanks to all the people who have registered so far and we'll see you soon.

My best to all
Jeanne Davis

Edith Miller

 Ben -- Reading your emails of late have really been tear-jerking.  It can only remind us all how much we owe our "Band of Brothers", including all of you.  What all of you did for our country is unbelievable, and came back to carry it with dignity and mostly silence.  It is great that there is an avenue where courage can be acknowledged.  Many thanks again and again for recording these events of WWII.  Edith Miller

Anne Eckert Valliere

Hello,

I am the niece of one of your paratroopers from G Company. My Uncle Carroll was wounded in battle.

Add me to your list.

Anne Eckert Valliere
Pat Holly

My uncle, Daniel T. Lopez, was a member of the 517th until his death in the south of France in September 1944.   My uncle died 'on the mountain west of Col de Brau'.  I was wondering if you had an email address for D Co. members.  I would like to talk with them about the circumstances under which my uncle died.

Thank you,
Pat Holly
                                             ***********
I had to edit the above message. - Ben

Wayne Cross

                                Dragoon- After Action Report

Capt., 517th Prcht. Inf., Commanding
Record of Events
Company "H"

 Co. H boarded their transport planes and took off for France at 0220 hours from the Airfield at Orbetello, Italy.  One mishap marred a perfect take off.  The plane in which Lt. Athey and one squad of the 1st Platoon were riding, stalled on the runway and crashed.  However, only minor injuries were sustained.  S/Sgt. Harmon, Pvts. Villalba, Ostashen, Byaum, Denning, Pippin, Hamilton, Kaudy, Averill, Downs, Helmer and Cpl. Graham were left behind in the hospital.  Lt. Athey, Cpl. Frucht, Sgt. Laeben,Pvts. Watkins, Schroeder and Cpl. Bischoff landed on the DZ on D Day by glider.

 Until the jump, the company’s flight was uneventful.  Early on the morning of D Day, scattered groups from the Co. slowly were collecting themselves after dropping into the rugged hills behind Callian at 0420 hours.

 Lt. Bennett, Executive Officer, Pvt. Elliott and Barnes landed close together.  As it grew light, more men joined the group.  Lt. Callagher and Sgt. Copeland soon joined the Group.  In a short time, Lt. Bennett met Lt. Riddler and Pinkston and McKillop of Company G.

 The Co., now about 20 in strength, met another group of men with Lt. Gibbons.  After a brief reorganization, the Co. moved off with Lt. Gibbons in command of the Bn.
Lt. Bennett in Command of Co.  Lt. Jackson, 1st Platoon, Lt. Garrett and Freeman with the 2nd Platoon and Lt. Thomas with the 3rd.

 Now 70 in strength, the Co. started to its objective 23 miles away.
Capt. McGeever, with approximately 60 men, Lt. Co. Decarue and 100th British Parachustists, led by a British Maj. Joined the Bn. three miles W of Callian.  At 2200 hours, the Bn. stopped to rest three miles NE of Bagnols.

 On D Plus 1, H Co. formed the advance party of the Bn. as it proceeded to the objective.  Lt. Thomas now in command of the 3rd Platoon was the advance guard of the Bn.  The march proved to be uneventful.

 The Bn. Commander issued orders to all Company Commanders and properly oriented them in regards to our forward assembly area, at that the Bn moved out, H. Co. forming the advance guard.  Company formation, first Platoon, company headquarters, second and third Platoon.  Arrived at forward assembly area at 1900 hours.  At the forward assembly area, the Bn. was given orders to attack at 1945 on an azimuth of 230 degrees.  H Co. to be on the L, I Co. on the R and G.  Co. in the reserve.

 Supporting 4.2 mortars was to lay down a concentration at 2000 hours and come at 2030 hours.  H Co. attacked with the 3rd Platoon on the L, 2nd Platoon on the R and 1st Platoon in support.  Co. Hdqs. To be in rear of 2nd Platoon.

 During this attack, Lt. Freemand and 1st Sgt. Caunce were killed by enemy small arm fire.  Pvts. Watermand and Pastalouic were also wounded.  Casualties inflicted upon the enemy were estimated to be 10 dead and 12 captured.

 The Bn. reached its final objective 2100 hours and set up on high ground outside Les Arcs.  Bn. remained at Les Arcs throughout D Plus 2.  Cpt. Morris, Sgt. Rickson, Saunders and Karatea rejoined the Co. at 1500 hours, D Plus 2.  The Co. moved out 0600 hours, D Plus 3 to its former forward assembly area to pick up its mussette bags which were left behind prior to the attack.  Remained in this area until 1500 hours.  At approximately 1630 hours, Co. moved to the high ground immediately S (two miles) of Ragnols and remained there in a defensive position until 0800 hours, D Plus 4.

MARVIN D. MORRIS
Capt. 517th Prcht. Inf.
Commanding