From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 8:17 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO 1138 517TH PRCT-JUNE 16, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

     As of June16th           517th Portland Reunion  July 17-21, 2006

               3
              Days left to close of Hotel Registration - June 17th
                              Prices for the 517th Registration of  $ 88 or $ 99 daily  rate cannot be guaranteed after the above date.

               36
               Days until Reunion D-Day - July 17th

                              Please submit your choice of the various events at the earlies date as we must make plans for number of participants

Gene Frice, President and the valiant Portland Planning Committee

Jim Royer

Ben,  Although I will not be able to attend this year's reunion due to
reasons stated earlier, I  favor option three, as outlined by AFR. A
chairman, with the assistance of a small committee to help him , would
be able to plan an excellent reunion.
   A good time  to all at Portland. We will miss all of you.
                                          Jim Royer

Tom Cross

Ben:
    The US Army Airborne Officer mentioned in the Co. H, 517th PRCT DRAGOON AFTER ACTION REPORT identified as Lt. Col. Decarue was in fact Lt. Col. Chet Degarve from Hq. 1st Airborne Task Force. He is mentioned in several of our DRAGOON After Action Reports each of which spells his name incorrectly. He later became a General Officer and always spoke highly of the 517th PRCT and of his experiences with us. Dick Seitz and I believe Bill Boyle too always spoke well of Chet Degarve
Regards, Tom Cross

Wayne Cross
                                        Dragoon-- After Action Report

Record of Events
Company "I"
"D" Day

 At about 0230 hours, the Co. took off for the coast of Southern France from the airbase at Orvetello in eight C-47 planes.  At about 0430 hours, the entire Co. jumped and landed just outside the town of Ceillans, which was about 23 miles from the predesignated drop zone.

 Company Headquarters:  Upon landing, Capt. Fastian located a house at which point he was met by Pvt. Egand and Ayers.  After a brief survey of the area, he came to the conclusion that the Co. had been dropped in the wrong DZ.  Since the house was a natural assembly point, Capt. Fastain stayed there with Pvt. Ayers while Pvt. Egan went to locate his equipment.  After a short while, elements of the Co. began to drift in and Capt. Fastain told Lt. Birder to take the men to a small hill nearby and set up a defensive position.  Meanwhile, Cpl’s Vastiglione and Kuyscyek and Pvt. Pisaro came along and they were used at the house as guided by Capt.  Presently Col Zais, Maj. McMahon,
Capt. Pencak, Lt. Preist and many of the Hqs. Co. communication section joined at the house.

 Col. Zais took complete charge of the situation.  After a short while, Col. Zais asked for a report of the Co., which, at that time, as all had not arrived, stood at 85 EM and eight officers.  Just as dawn came, a report from Lt. Birder stated that Lt. Scott,
Pvt. Loeffler, Sigonga, Jerena, Sailor and Ayers were hurt and it was not likely that they would be able to continue.  We were then joined by Lt. Neiler and his S02 section.  In a short while, Col. Zais established his exact location by questioning some French civilians.

 Soon a group of British paratroopers joined us with their Capt. in Command.  Maj. McMahon revealed a severely bad cut on his right leg and was given first aid and decided to continue with us.  At about 0800 hours, Col. Zais ordered Capt. Fastain to form the Co. and move out in the direction of St. Clariers, the next town in the direction of the Regimental area.  As this was being done, P-38’s dropped small bombs on us, no doubt thinking we were the enemy.  Capt. Fencak set up a yellow smoke pot and soon the planes recognized us as friendly troops.  We moved out at about 0830 hours cross-country and at 1000 hours, Col. Zais ordered a halt, at which time the three platoons set up a perimeter defense.

 At 1800 hours, we moved down the road towards St. Clariers, and as we crossed at a railroad, Col. Zais ordered that the section be blown up.  This was done by
Lt. Ronton and some men.  We passed through the town of St. Clariers and continued on towards the town of Callas.  About l/2 mile from the town, Col. Zais ordered a halt for the night and again the three platoons took up a perimeter defense.
  First Platoon:  After landing at the DZ, the elements of the platoon preceded to the Co. assembly area to Lt. Birder and the Platoon leader, Lt. Terrell, reported that
Cpl. Bailey, Pvt. Loeffler, Sibonga, Jerene and Sailor were injured and that Pvt. Clark was missing.  After searching the Co. assembly area, the platoon put out its local security.  Then the order came to move out, the 1st Platoon took its position in the march, that of support platoon.

 Second Platoon:  Upon landing on the DZ, they assembled with the rest of the Co. and also set up a local security.  Lt. Stotte reported to Lt. Birder that he had sustained a back injury and that Cpl. Boyer, Sgt. Miller and Pvt. Hughes were missing.  When the order came to move out, the 2nd Platoon and rear guard.  After preceding a short way, the injured men could no longer continue.  Capt. Fastain ordered Lt. Stotte to remain behind with Cpl. Bailey, Pvts. Loeffler, Sibonga, Jerence and Sailor.  At this time, Sgt. Miller and Pvt. Hughes joined the platoon and since Pvt. Hughes was hurt, he also stayed behind.  After obtaining all necessities, Lt. Stotte took charge of the group at a nearby farm house and the rest of the Co. moved on.  Lt. Stotte then moved himself to a nearby hill where he and the men dug in and put out local security.

 Pvt. Bennett, a platoon medic was also left behind with Lt. Stotte to aid the injured men.  At 1500 hours, four French patriots approached the group.  They left and later returned with a Scotch Lt. and a truck, which the group boarded and proceeded to the town of Seallans.  There they went to a small hotel and were treated by a local doctor, after which the group rested outside of town in a barn for the night.

 Third Platoon:  Upon landing, the platoon was guided to the assembly and set up its local security.  Lt. Feaney, in his report to Lt. Birder, stated that Pvts. King and Colli were missing.  When the order came to move out, the 3rd Platoon formed the advance party of the Co. and moved out as directed by Col. Zais.

"D" Plus One

 Company Headquarters:  At 0730 hours, the Co. moved out towards the town of Callas.  We passed through the town and continued on towards the Regimental area which was the town of St. Rosseline.  At about 1030 hours, we met a jeep, our first sight of one I France.  Capt. Brooks and another officer were in the jeep and informed
Col. Zais the location of ABTF Headquarters.  We passed hundreds of American and British Gliders enroute.  They were badly smashed and showed signs of many casualties.  At 1500 hours, we passed through the town of La Motte, and at 1630 hours, we reached our Regimental Area at St. Rosseline.  During the march, a few men dropped out, but they rejoined their platoons later on.  At 1900 hours, the Col. Called the Commanding Officers and told them that the Bn. would proceed to a AA outside the town of Les Arcs and would attack in the morning.  We moved out to our forward position, but enroute the attack order was changed to 1945 hour that night.  We reached our position and
Capt. Fastaia received the attack order from Col. Zais.  Musette bags were dumped at a nearby shack and the Co. went into the attack position.  The first platoon was on the left, rear of the formation.  We attacked as ordered after a heavy concentration of 12 mortars was placed on the enemy.  The Co. on our left met some enemy resistance.  At 2000 hours, we captured three enemy who were lying in the vineyards.  They were placed under guard by the men of Co. Hqs. and we advanced to the outskirts of Les Arcs.  We halted on an order from Col. Zais and set up defensive positions for the night.  A squad led by Colo. Reyacyck went to the town of Les Arcs and reported that no enemy were in the town.

First Platoon:  This platoon became the advance party of the Co. and led the entire way to St. Rosseline where we joined the rest of the Bn.  On the attack, the platoon occupied the left sector of the Co. area and accomplished its mission.  At 2000 hours, Cpl. Wulton and Staff Sargeant Shenk noticed movements in the vineyard.  They investigated and found it was five Germans, which they captured.  Upon reaching the halt for the night, the platoon set up its security and dug in.

Second Platoon:  This platoon, with Lt. Renton in command remained as support throughout the day and during the attack, they searched out all houses and barns in their sector.  They found much German equipment, but no enemy.  Lt. Stott and his group meanwhile moved his injured men to houses throughout the town where they were cared for by the friendly villagers.  Lt. Stott and a French Cpl. And five Patriots boarded a truck and went to a bridge which they blew up.  They saw a German truck coming in the direction of the bridge and when the bridge was blown, a falling rock from the bridge demolished the truck completely and killed its lone driver.

Third Platoon:  The platoon became the rear guard of the formation throughout the march and when in the attack position it occupied the right sector of the Co. formation.  After they had taken defensive positions for the night halt, Cpl. Ryescyck led a squad to the town of Los Arcs and reported no enemy activity in the town.  The platoon dug in and set up security for the night.

"D" Plus Two

 At dawn, we moved forward and attacked the left section of the town of Los Arcs.  The formation was still the same in the Com, but I Co. and H Co. switched sections and
I Co. now occupied the left sector of the attack.  Enroute, Capt. Fastais met Lt. Starkey and he was informed that Co. been in the right part of the town during the night.  The 2nd Platoon picked up a prisoner in one of the houses and he was added to the other three.  We took our section of Les Arcs and Col. Zais gave the Co. the left sector while the 2nd Platoon remained in support.  We dug in and took defensive positions for the rest of the day.

First Platoon:  The attack continued with the 1st Platoon still on the left of our sector.  No resistance was encountered and upon reaching the objective, the platoon took the forward position, dug in, and continued to send out patrols throughout the day.  Pvt. Coark rejoined the platoon at 1030 hours.

Second Platoon:  The platoon, still in support, continued its mission of cleaning out houses and barns and that the lead elements had by-passed.  At one of these barns,
Pvts. Sparga and Patterson picked up a German hiding inside.  Upon reaching the objective, the platoon remained in support, but a patrol of 12 men led by Sgt. Dallas, investigated a house and reported German bicycles but no riders.  Meanwhile,
Pvts. Britsky, Egan, Carall, Cornett, Moore and Conwyenck, with their LMG, were sent under the command of Lt. Heinsleigh of Hqs. Co. and a section of that Co.’s bazooka’s to guard the crossroad on the rear left flank of the town of Les Arcs.  Meantime, Lt. Stott with his group, were shown by the French a load of chutes, MG’s and mortars and ammo that they (the French) had collected.  Pvt. Bennett and 11 French Patriots boarded a truck to pick up some Italian prisoners.  One returning truck turned over killing one man and injuring Pvt. Bennett’s left arm.  Lt. Stott and Pvt. Hughes and a Frenchman proceeded to a nearby bridge which they blew up.  The time was 2300 hours.  Then Lt. Stott met
Capt. Renna and Sgt. Palmer of the SSF and informed Lt. Stott that Germans were in the vicinity.  Lt. Stott sent out a patrol, reported back no German activity.

Third Platoon:  The platoon continued on the right sector during the attack and after reaching the objective of Les Arcs, set up a defensive position and dug in.  A small patrol at 0600 hours consisting of Sgt. Russell, Pvt. A. C. Fields and Holbrook were fired upon by a German sniper and they immediately returned fire and killed the sniper and discovered a 50 Cal. MG (American) which had been captured by the Germans near the dead sniper.  There were three dead Germans by the 50 Cal MG, apparently killed by the French.  The next day the Bn. moved out to a position to protect 7th Army right flank.

MARTIN J. FASTAI
Capt., 517 Prcht. Inf.
Commanding